Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-13-2016, 12:16 PM   #46
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
Having posted in support of johnnyb's experiences I, for my part, was aiming no criticism at Calibre nor any of the great work done on plug-ins etc. Calibre and its plug-ins makes the e-reading experience so much better.

I also accept that in many cases my main culprit was a flakey USB port on my Mac.

However, whilst an improper ejection on my Tolino, or using Koreader on the Kobo requires nothing more than a reconnect to fix, in Nickel it invariably leads to a corrupted database and the whole sign out/in/reload all books rigmarole. Nickel seems very unforgiving!
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:51 PM   #47
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Actually there are similar descriptions of the problems just a couple of posts further up. These aren’t complaint but just „meh, moved on, don’t care“ statements (which is exactly what I did).
Also, my point stands: There’s NO OTHER ereader that has similar problems, so even if it is *my computer* that’s causing all of this it is also *my Kobo* causing all of this. There is no way around it, Kobo’s are just oversensitive in the USB department...
No, I shouldn't have said none, because I knew there was another report in this thread. But, it was balanced by the reports of no problems. It was the lack of reports outside the life of this thread.

The problem with comparing to other devices is that none of them work the same way or are accessed the same way by calibre. Of these devices, only Sony's use a database for the books. And the driver's access of the database is a lot less intense than the Kobo driver.
Quote:
Thanks! Will give that another try once I feel like rebuilding my database again...
Connect when calibre is not running and take a copy of the database. Then you can restore that afterwards if it gets corrupted.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2016, 02:57 PM   #48
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
This is just anecdotal info but when I installed/reinstalled KOReader a few years ago, within a day or so I invariably got a corrupted database after connecting to calibre. This may have been because I didn't load the PDFs in a hidden directory so Nickel was also able to 'see' them.

Once I uninstalled KOReader for the final time I've never had a corrupted database since. But maybe things have improved since then.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote