Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 05-08-2008, 02:44 AM   #46
Prospect
Other
Prospect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWLaRue View Post
Page turning - here's what I am seeing after performing the upgrade.

Advancing multiple pages by pressing the button more or less immediately after each page has advanced moves through the pages quite quickly.

However, if some amount of time is allowed to elapse (like read the page, then press the button), the page turning feels like it is *slower*...about the same as an iLiad.

Can anyone confirm if they see the same thing?
This is also my impression. Faster multiple page turns and a bit slower single page turns.
Prospect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:42 AM   #47
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWLaRue View Post
Advancing multiple pages by pressing the button more or less immediately after each page has advanced moves through the pages quite quickly.

However, if some amount of time is allowed to elapse (like read the page, then press the button), the page turning feels like it is *slower*...about the same as an iLiad.
I can imagine that this effect of the following change:

Quote:
Improvement: reduced power consumption.
It probably goes to 'sleep' faster.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2008, 04:30 AM   #48
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Sadly, I noticed:

- I pressed the "page back" button, the green led turned on, but the page didn't change. So this hasn't been fixed.

- I was browsing the library, opening several books and pictures... and the Cybook rebooted. So this hasn't been fixed.

- At some point, I came back to the library screen, then the green led turned on and never turned off... I had to use the reset button. I don't remember this happening to me before.

- I opened the "Infected" PDF (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22305), and I think I see more empty pages than with the previous version...

- I have a couple of pictures that are displayed in the wrong orientation with "auto rotate". They still are. So this hasn't been fixed.

- PDF files created with 9x12cm page size still show 235% zoom in the status bar (the Cybook "thinks" it has an A4 screen). This hasn't been fixed either.

- Still no bookmarks (what the Cybook calls bookmarks, or what Acrobat Reader calls bookmarks) in PDF. I hope this comes in a future firmware.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:16 AM   #49
pieter
Connoisseur
pieter will become famous soon enoughpieter will become famous soon enoughpieter will become famous soon enoughpieter will become famous soon enoughpieter will become famous soon enoughpieter will become famous soon enough

Device: CyBook Gen3
It's actually quite funny.
If you are in the Library screen, move the cursor around a bit, then stop. And wait 5 seconds. Then move it again. It will take a while to respond. But if you then keep moving around, everything happens right away. Wait another 5 seconds, and the first move you make is taking some time again.

It certainly takes some getting used to, to have two different reaction times to an action. While the multiple moving feels really fast, it really makes the "after 5 seconds" first move seem like a very long time, and it gives a feeling of not being reliable (sometimes it reacts right away, other time you just have to wait and hope you really pressed the button).

So in general for me it feels faster but more unreliable.

I guess, I'll have to look at the list with all the new features again, and figure out why exactly I should consider this an improvement.
pieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:58 AM   #50
DutchBoy
DutchBoy began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I also notice a difference: the PDFs that I painstakingly prepared for the Cybook and that I could read on the previous firmware, are now unreadable. Page after page it just shows a blank screen.

Sad that this is supposed to be an 'update'. A very weak update, that's what it is.

Can I still get the previous version (538) from somewhere? I figure I have to go back to actually be able to read my PDFs again. (I saved my previous directory structure from the Cybook memory, but I heard that that's not where the firmware resides?)
DutchBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2008, 09:12 AM   #51
Onemack
Groupie
Onemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle P/W, Kobo Aura, Kobo Libre 2, Boyue likebook P10
Leading a life of quiet (upgrade) desperation

Righto,

What I want to know is what are you guys doing that I am not? What magic touch do you all have?

It does not matter whether I use a 1GB SD card or a 2GB,

It doesn't matter if I follow the instructions for the umpteenth time,

It doesn't matter if I ignore them and hold the key pressed on start up or on flashing logo, for ten twenty, thirty seconds.

It does not matter what I do, the bloody thing will not upgrade.

It sits there and gazes at me, whilst I gaze at it in rapt wonderment and awe, puzzling, all the while, why, oh why, do you still show version 6.0 build 476.

Mr Bookeen (or is it Ms Bookeen, or perhaps Master Bookeen!) has me beaten after such a long and happy relationship the CyBook just does not want to upgrade.

Can anyone out there in CyBook land help me, or perhaps console me by telling me that I am not the only person in the entire world that this is happening to?

What next I wonder?

John
Onemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:16 AM   #52
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Has anybody succeeded in upgrading from 486?

I just pressed the button when the screen with the Cybook appeared and hold it pressed a very long time.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:42 AM   #53
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post

I just pressed the button when the screen with the Cybook appeared and hold it pressed a very long time.
I assume you mean 476? Yep, worked fine. I put the upgrade file in the root of my SD card, powered on the Cybook en pressed the Enter key until it flashed twice, just like the instructions said to do. It displayed an upgrade progress screen and after a minute or two restarted with the new firmware.

The 'until it flashed twice' did take some 10 seconds or so; probably about as long as the normal boot (until it normally starts scanning the library).
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:53 AM   #54
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post

Worked fine for me...it took like 10-20 seconds before the flashing started and then another 2-3 minutes before the upgrade was done
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:00 AM   #55
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onemack View Post
Righto,

What I want to know is what are you guys doing that I am not? What magic touch do you all have?

It does not matter whether I use a 1GB SD card or a 2GB,

It doesn't matter if I follow the instructions for the umpteenth time,

It doesn't matter if I ignore them and hold the key pressed on start up or on flashing logo, for ten twenty, thirty seconds.

It does not matter what I do, the bloody thing will not upgrade.

It sits there and gazes at me, whilst I gaze at it in rapt wonderment and awe, puzzling, all the while, why, oh why, do you still show version 6.0 build 476.

Mr Bookeen (or is it Ms Bookeen, or perhaps Master Bookeen!) has me beaten after such a long and happy relationship the CyBook just does not want to upgrade.

Can anyone out there in CyBook land help me, or perhaps console me by telling me that I am not the only person in the entire world that this is happening to?

What next I wonder?

John
John ,

Perhaps stupid questions ,
but the firmware is on the root of the SD card ?
can you read from the SD card ?

Last edited by GeoffC; 05-14-2008 at 01:29 PM.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:07 AM   #56
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
John ,

Perhaps stupid questions ,
but the firmware is on the root of the SD card ?
can your read from the SD card ?
Just more stupid questions:

Did you extract the update_kernel file from the .zip file?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:14 AM   #57
Onemack
Groupie
Onemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Just more stupid questions:

Did you extract the update_kernel file from the .zip file?
Hi,
Yes to both questions. It is unzipped and it is on the root not in another file or folder.

John
Old 05-08-2008, 11:26 AM   #58
Onemack
Groupie

Yea, got it, it worked at last,

Thanks all,
I tried, again, and, again, and again, (Hilary Clinton style perhaps) and it has finally worked.
Mr, (Ms, Master?) CyBook and I are once again gazing at each other with adoring eyes, now clad in the latest software clothes

Yipee

Cheers All

John
Old 05-08-2008, 12:32 PM   #59
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Were you not holding the button in long enough? I had to hold it in for a lot longer than "a few seconds" - probably more like 15-20s. I just held it in until the screen went blank.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:56 PM   #60
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I had to hold it in for a lot longer than "a few seconds" - probably more like 15-20s. I just held it in until the screen went blank.
I concur ..
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote