Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-05-2014, 02:39 AM   #1
Ankan
Ankan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Using Kobo as nautical chart plotter

I would like to use my Touch as a nautical chart plotter in my sailingboat.

Is there any modded plotter apps for Touch or is an Android installation the way to go with optional app from Play store?

With Android installation I guess there is problem to use an internal soldered gps or does Android support RS232 gps?
Ankan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:24 AM   #2
Ankan

I find out that OpenCPN is a good Chartplotter that runs on linux.

Is there any ports to Kobo or how much work is it to fix that?

What I understand the problem is to tell the software that it is running on a e-ink display and have to be customized for that. I have no idé how to accomplish that.
Advert
Old 02-05-2014, 11:14 AM   #3
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
You might want to check out this. And this. The XcSoar sight that describes and links to modifications to Kobo devices for sailplane navigation.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:02 PM   #4
Ankan

Thank you for your replay.

I was already going to use XCSoar on my Kobo to use it as an instrument when Iam paragliding.

As I know XCSoar is only for flying and wouldn't be that good at sea.

Thanks anyway.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:40 PM   #5
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
If you end up looking to port "OpenCPN", The XCSoar example might give you a good start.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2014, 01:37 PM   #6
plumo
plumo began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
I am having the same idea; the KOBO touch can run Android, and it is possible to connect a GPS chip to an unused serial port in the KOBO pcb as explained on the XSOAR tutorials; no the question is: how to have this GPS/serial port used under Android?
plumo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, gps, nautical, plotter