Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #166
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
That's the plan! I don't want to play the exchange game so if I'm not 100% happy with the screen when it arrives then back it goes and I'll just wait for the PW2.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:31 AM   #167
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Looks like I may get a replacement Paperwhite after all. I contacted Amazon about a replacement a few weeks ago because I had pink & green hues on my screen. I was told they couldn't send a replacement to my country so I decided to try and live with it for a while. Just today though, my PW kept restarting every time I tried to put it to sleep. It probably helped that the PW is now being officially sold in my country so I'm happy that they've granted my request for a replacement.

Has anyone had a problem like this though? Kindle keeps restarting with the message, "Collecting information. May take a min... Will restart when done... Please wait..."

Fingers crossed the replacement has a better screen than the one I have now. In the meantime, I'll reset the "defective" PW to see if the restarting problem goes away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo copy.JPG
Views:	369
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	100264  

Last edited by xtine; 01-29-2013 at 05:57 AM.
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2013, 07:25 AM   #168
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Meh... The serial number for my ordered-yesterday PW shown in Manage your Device is a 503 Not holding my breath then.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:35 AM   #169
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Xtine, I have never had that problem, and my PW gets many hours of use every day (just can't stay away from it!)
Glad you'll be able to exchange it!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:46 AM   #170
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Xtine, I have never had that problem, and my PW gets many hours of use every day (just can't stay away from it!)
Glad you'll be able to exchange it!
Thank you, here's hoping I finally get a white screen

I did a reset and so far the problem has stopped. Amazon told me though that I don't need to return the defective Kindle. To make things even better, I have a Wifi Paperwhite with Special Offers and they're sending me a non-SO as a replacement. Love how they handled my case and they definitely have me as a customer for life
Advert
Old 01-29-2013, 08:56 AM   #171
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Seems like they are very eager to build a great reputation in the countries where they are already or intending to sell the Kindle.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:58 AM   #172
xtine
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Seems like they are very eager to build a great reputation in the countries where they are already or intending to sell the Kindle.
Or it could be that the cost of Kindles has gone down so much that it would cost them more to ship them back than just have them thrown out, especially if they were defective.

I know in the past they've had defectives sent back to them (from my country) at their expense. This "you can keep the defective" policy seems to be a new one, at least as far as I know. But hey, I'm certainly not complaining

Last edited by xtine; 01-29-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:03 PM   #173
Beginner-reader
Enthusiast
Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Wow you're lucky! I wish I could keep my defective Kindle, even if it doesn't work like it should. They do have great customer service. I got a free USB cable for my troubles, and apologies, which is plenty enough for me.
Beginner-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:16 PM   #174
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Just to update everyone. I've had two more phone calls from Andrew. I noticed the current PW I have has some glowing specks, so they offered to send me another one. I give them credit for persevering. I'm surprised they are willing to keep trying to help me get a perfect one, but I have to say I'm amazed how many issues these PW's continue to have.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:28 PM   #175
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Just to update everyone. I've had two more phone calls from Andrew. I noticed the current PW I have has some glowing specks, so they offered to send me another one. I give them credit for persevering. I'm surprised they are willing to keep trying to help me get a perfect one, but I have to say I'm amazed how many issues these PW's continue to have.
Strange!! Maybe getting you a perfect Paperwhite is part of his 2013 goals at work.
You must have a sweet voice, as Andrew sure was fed up with me towards the end - not that I can blame him
Old 01-30-2013, 06:37 PM   #176
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
So the new replacement has specks? Oh no!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:11 PM   #177
xtine
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beginner-reader View Post
Wow you're lucky! I wish I could keep my defective Kindle, even if it doesn't work like it should. They do have great customer service. I got a free USB cable for my troubles, and apologies, which is plenty enough for me.
I know! I was not expecting it at all, and was even willing to have to send back the defective Kindle at my expense. Their customer service is great, to say the least. On the other hand, I think I would be embarrassed to ask for another replacement should the new one still have blotches or specks. Fingers crossed it's a good one though. It's already shipped out and it's a 603. Should be here tomorrow

sparklemotion, that's too bad! You definitely lucked out with Andrew though. Seems like he's not going to stop until you get one you're 100% satisfied with.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:39 AM   #178
Yolina
Wizard

Quote:
There really seems to be a lack of QC. How many have they sent you in all? I've lost count!

Mine's due for delivery today so will update once I know what I got in the PW lottery.

Last edited by Yolina; 01-31-2013 at 04:29 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:49 AM   #179
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
I noticed the current PW I have has some glowing specks, so they offered to send me another one. I give them credit for persevering. I'm surprised they are willing to keep trying to help me get a perfect one, but I have to say I'm amazed how many issues these PW's continue to have.
You must have a great telephone manner, can't see them persevering that much for many people! A real shame that its not quite perfect enough for you yet, if the replacement isn't good enough either I think I'd just give up and wait and see what future releases of lighted readers brings. Its a bit rubbish you can't get one you are happy with though.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:38 AM   #180
Yolina
Wizard

Right, it's here but it looks like it's going to go back for a refund... Screen looks ok at light settings up to 12, any higher than that and it's pink and green, also has some light bleed on the left side about an inch up from the bottom I'm going to use it today so that it gets a fair "real-life test" but right now I'm rather disappointed.

Edit: it's a 503 batch with firmware 5.3.1 so it looks like, at least in the UK, they still have a stock of older batch PW to get rid of...

Last edited by Yolina; 01-31-2013 at 07:10 AM.