Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-18-2012, 11:29 AM   #1
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever
techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch hacked
How to run native apps on k5

How to run native apps
techiemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:36 AM   #2
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/K5_Index
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by techiemonkey View Post
How to run native apps
You can copy native mode apps to your kindle USB drive, and then you just run them. You can use a launcher such as launchpad, kite, or the K5 launcher menu, or you can run them from an SSH prompt. You can even add a startup script to run native mode apps automatically on startup. Soon, you will be able to run them over USB (on K4/K5 and perhaps eventually K3) using new stuff yifanlu (and hawhill) are working on, using the same USB Downloader protocols that MfgTool and Advanced ToolKit use.

In some cases, a native mode app may need to be "installed" by running an installer script. For example, see the tcc (tinycc) native mode compiler package thread (in the tools index), which "fixes" some incompatible firmware problems on certain kindle models.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-18-2012 at 12:32 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:28 PM   #4
MaPePeR
Connoisseur
MaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughing

Device: KT
i think the word "native" is misleading.
I dont see any reason to not use it for Kindlets.
(cause Kindlets ARE native on the Kindle)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Sorry, but your post does in no way answer the Question.
You can only find the word "native" one time on this page. And that is a link to another Index ( https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Native_Index )

We are not yet at the point where you can direct all questions to the index.
First of all Questions have to be answered.
So please dont hesitate to do and then put a link to YOUR answer on the Index.
MaPePeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:36 PM   #5
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How to run native apps on k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaPePeR View Post
i think the word "native" is misleading.
I dont see any reason to not use it for Kindlets.
(cause Kindlets ARE native on the Kindle)

Sorry, but your post does in no way answer the Question.
You can only find the word "native" one time on this page. And that is a link to another Index ( https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Native_Index )

We are not yet at the point where you can direct all questions to the index.
First of all Questions have to be answered.
So please dont hesitate to do and then put a link to YOUR answer on the Index.
I agree that the Indexes are incomplete. Everybody should contribute to them to make them a better resource. That is why I created them as wikis.

And "native apps" is the TOPIC of this thread, so it applies to the ENTIRE THREAD and not just "one time on this page" as you said.

Before discussing how the term "native apps" *SHOULD* be used in this thread, we need to define the technical term "native" in the context of computing (and kindle apps):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_(computing)
"Something running on a computer natively means that it is running without any external support as contrasted to running in emulation. Such executable programs are referred to as native executables." What this means is that native apps consist of binary executable machine language instructions that are executed directly by the CPU (typically compiled from C source code). In the kindle, native apps typically run independently from the GUI framework and may pause the framework to prevent interference, or shut it down to free up resources.

Kindlets are small Java applet kindle programs that run in a JVM interpreter, which makes them by their very nature in direct conflict with the definition of "native apps". Kindlets run inside the GUI framework and are dependent on it. Kindlets and native apps are different kinds of programs that run in different execution environments. There is no confusion when these terms are used correctly.

If the OP misused "native apps" in the title of this thread, then he needs to clarify his question to not contain misleading terminology.

EDIT: Even if you were to use the term "native" in its non-computer context (i.e. "original", as in "native" species), in kindle context that would mean "factory pre-installed software". Because kindles do not come with ANY pre-installed kindlets, kindlets would not qualify as "native" apps even under that out-of-context definition of "native". So the word "native" is not as misleading as you claimed even if you use the wrong definition of "native".

EDIT2: For the limited number of available forum prefixes and indexes, we chose to (artificially) include scripts into the "native" category because scripts and binary executable programs are both launched the same way from the same environment, and the only way to tell them apart is to examine their internal content. From a USER's perspective, they are virtually identical even though scripts are (technically) interpreted, except when run through a "script compiler" such as shc:
http://www.datsi.fi.upm.es/~frosal/sources/shc.html

which encodes a script with C source code and compiles it into a true native binary executable.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-18-2012 at 11:16 PM. Reason: stepwise refinement
Advert
Old 07-18-2012, 07:56 PM   #6
geekmaster

@MaPePer: As I mentioned in other posts, I am still waiting for a useful contribution from you that adds value to the kindles (code, documentation, or other valuable contributions).

I have wanted to boost your meager 26 karma to 2600 (geekmaster reward for first significant value-added post) for quite some time. I have been watching your posts (and waiting patiently). As I asked before, do you have something useful to show me?

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-18-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:04 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
How to run native apps
http://www.gerv.net/hacking/how-to-ask-good-questions/
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:28 PM   #8
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
I am Stupicus!

I'm sorry if that was bit abrupt.
"How to run native apps"

Bit broad a subject. hence brush strokes answer.
I take it on the chin.

================================================== =

Code:
You can only find the word "native" one time on this page. And that is a link to another Index ( https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Native_Index  )
I didn't search for the word "native" - I made a mental judgment call about the most likely content the OP wanted. If I was wrong in that then I take it on the chin.
That said, the person appears to have gone away? so perhaps this is all for naught and in fact he got what he wanted after all...

Anyone consider that crazy outcome? hehehe

Last edited by twobob; 07-18-2012 at 09:34 PM. Reason: I am Stupicus!
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:26 AM   #9
bhaak
Groupie
bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Palm IIIx, (iPhone|Kindle) Touch
Looking at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=184137 this person has probably not much technical knowledge so even asking the right question might not be an easy task.

As the technical answer to the question "how to run native apps" is simply "by running them", I don't think that's the wanted answer.

What apps do you want to run for what purpose?
bhaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:10 AM   #10
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever
techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch hacked
I want to run geekmaster video player
techiemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:12 AM   #11
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Great. A statement of your objective.

Next, write up what you have done;
Note what worked,
what didn't work,
describe how you are stuck in making any progress.

Write it in your own native language,
run it through google translate and post the English result.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:56 AM   #12
geekmaster

Quote:
So you ARE using the term "native" correctly. Good. Then my explanation of the definition and differences between native apps and kindlets above was only for the benefit of MaPePer. I hope he appreciates the time I put in getting the wording "just right" so he could understand me.

Regarding how to "run geekmaster video player": The EXACT commands needed to play videos with the geekmaster video player are documented EXACTLY (in bold green and red) in the first post of the geekmaster video player thread (where you download gmplay and the .gmv.gz videos that you can play with it).

As mentioned in my first post above, you can type those commands at a command line, OR you can run them in a launcher program such as yifanlu's launcher menu for K5, OR you can run them from a RUNME.sh script after installing an appropriate data.tar.gz (such as from the "select boot" thread). For firmware 5.1.0, there is an updated launcher menu from ixtab.

The launcher programs are documented in the K5 hacking wiki.

To help avoid questions like this in the future, how can we adjust our documentation to make it more understandable by people such as yourself?

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-19-2012 at 08:01 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:06 PM   #13
MaPePeR
Connoisseur
MaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughing

Device: KT
OT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
@MaPePer: As I mentioned in other posts, I am still waiting for a useful contribution from you that adds value to the kindles
me too.
I had some tests in the past, that i didn't wanted to fail, so i did not invest much time in this.
Also i will get a C and C++ course next semester, so i think it would be a good Idea, to actually learn the language, before i take a look at your programs.
(The only things i have ever done with C and C++ was a PI-calculating program and hello world program [if i calculated right that was at age 15 to 16 ])
So for now i will go on trying to improve the wiki and create a Kindlet.

Thanks for putting efforts in getting the words right. I'm aware, that in this Forum the term 'native' is used in a way, that does not feel right for me.
Because natively i translate the word "native" in conjunction with "Kindle Software" to "the supposed way to put software on the kindle".
I thought it might be a good idea to point out, that it MIGHT be misused and that we should be aware of other people, who have the same problems with the word as me

Also i wanted to remind twobob, that the index is not complete and that i couldn't find a answer to OP's question on the linked wiki page.

Greetings
Matthias
MaPePeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:10 PM   #14
geekmaster

Quote:
OT:

me too.
I had some tests in the past, that i didn't wanted to fail, so i did not invest much time in this.
Also i will get a C and C++ course next semester, so i think it would be a good Idea, to actually learn the language, before i take a look at your programs.
(The only things i have ever done with C and C++ was a PI-calculating program and hello world program [if i calculated right that was at age 15 to 16 ])
So for now i will go on trying to improve the wiki and create a Kindlet.

Thanks for putting efforts in getting the words right. I'm aware, that in this Forum the term 'native' is used in a way, that does not feel right for me.
Because natively i translate the word "native" in conjunction with "Kindle Software" to "the supposed way to put software on the kindle".
I thought it might be a good idea to point out, that it MIGHT be misused and that we should be aware of other people, who have the same problems with the word as me

Also i wanted to remind twobob, that the index is not complete and that i couldn't find a answer to OP's question on the linked wiki page.

Greetings
Matthias
I give an upgrade to 2600 karma for any significant contribution (including documentation, and other types of apps including kindlets). Anything that a new member contributes that I recognize as a significant value-added contribution earns the the "geekmaster 2600" award, but I have to become aware of that contribution first. I do keep my eyes open here, but I have have missed something.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:22 PM   #15
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:

Greetings
Matthias
So, that can be your first job here - work on the index pages.
They are just wiki pages and the "style guide" is at the top of each one.

You find something useful here, put it into the index.