Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 04-21-2016, 01:34 PM   #361
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Is there a way to rebuild a book into a copy and not alter the original? I like to not change the original just in case.

In my specific case, I wanted to take the original epub, make changes, and save the result into a new azw3 file. Since the rebuild will change the original epub, what I had to do is find the epub in the file system, make a copy of it, rebuild the book, convert the book to azw3, delete the updated epub, and finally copy back the original epub.

I just realized that an alternative is to first convert the original to another format and when using unpack, choose the new format.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:37 AM   #362
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm not sure what the question is in relation to the plugin. Kindleunpack extracts data. It's a one way street.

Sounds like you just need to use calibre's Save to Disk feature and then use the calibre Editor to alter/save the new copy of the AZW3.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-23-2016 at 08:41 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2016, 05:19 PM   #363
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
Is there a way to rebuild a book into a copy and not alter the original? I like to not change the original just in case.

In my specific case, I wanted to take the original epub, make changes, and save the result into a new azw3 file. Since the rebuild will change the original epub, what I had to do is find the epub in the file system, make a copy of it, rebuild the book, convert the book to azw3, delete the updated epub, and finally copy back the original epub.

I just realized that an alternative is to first convert the original to another format and when using unpack, choose the new format.
The solution is to convert the ePub to KF8 (AZW3). Then use Calibre's eBook editor to make the changes you want to the KF8 eBook. The ePub will not be changed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 04:45 AM   #364
KonradK
KonradK began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle PW3
I have bunch of ebooks from Packt Publishing, that are delivered in formats PDF + EPUB + MOBI.

MOBI is usually Joint MOBI/KF8s and is larger than EPUB. However after split a resulting AZW3 and MOBI are far smaller than joint, and than EPUB.
In one particular case Joint is ca. 14 MB, EPUB is ca. 9,7 MB and resulting AZW3, MOBI are about 3,7 MB each.

Resulting AZW3 and MOBI are apparently valid, they look identically in Calibre viewer (and identically as Joint, which in turn is inferior to EPUB, e.g. Joint lacks of colors in source codes; there is no problem in AZW3 after conversion from EPUB).

Such huge difference in lengths of source Joint and lengths of AZW3, MOBI (combined) is inexplicable for me. If someone competent would be willing to check this issue I can send him via PM a link to archive with source EPUB and Joint MOBI/KF8. Free ebooks (different title daily) are also available:
https://www.packtpub.com/packt/offers/free-learning
after registration (but Joint MOBI is not always available for given title).
KonradK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 04:57 AM   #365
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonradK View Post
I have bunch of ebooks from Packt Publishing, that are delivered in formats PDF + EPUB + MOBI.

MOBI is usually Joint MOBI/KF8s and is larger than EPUB. However after split a resulting AZW3 and MOBI are far smaller than joint, and than EPUB.
In one particular case Joint is ca. 14 MB, EPUB is ca. 9,7 MB and resulting AZW3, MOBI are about 3,7 MB each.

Resulting AZW3 and MOBI are apparently valid, they look identically in Calibre viewer (and identically as Joint, which in turn is inferior to EPUB, e.g. Joint lacks of colors in source codes; there is no problem in AZW3 after conversion from EPUB).

Such huge difference in lengths of source Joint and lengths of AZW3, MOBI (combined) is inexplicable for me. If someone competent would be willing to check this issue I can send him via PM a link to archive with source EPUB and Joint MOBI/KF8. Free ebooks (different title daily) are also available:
https://www.packtpub.com/packt/offers/free-learning
after registration (but Joint MOBI is not always available for given title).
My guess would be that the 'joint' actually also includes the source at the end (which will be the ePub). Assuming that most of the 3.7MB of the MOBI and AZW3 are pictures, that in the joint would be in common, that makes the sizes add up. (9.7MB (source) + 3.7MB (AZW3 with pictures) + <<1MB (MOBI text) = approx. 14MB)

The ePub probably has higher resolution/less compressed pictures, explaining its bigger size.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2016, 10:51 AM   #366
KonradK
KonradK began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle PW3
Thanks for explaining that mystery, pdurrant.
KonradK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 03:53 PM   #367
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
invalid continuation byte

Just by curiosity, of the 30 dictionaries sideloaded from my amazon account, 3 give me the following error when unpacking. Any idea?

Code:
calibre, version 2.77.0
ERREUR : KindleUnpack - The Plugin v0.81.2: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xe1 in position 306: invalid continuation byte

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "calibre_plugins.kindleunpack_plugin.action", line 267, in unpack_ebook
  File "calibre_plugins.kindleunpack_plugin.mobi_stuff", line 123, in unpackMOBI
  File "calibre_plugins.kindleunpack_plugin.kindleunpack.kindleunpack", line 921, in unpackBook
  File "calibre_plugins.kindleunpack_plugin.kindleunpack.kindleunpack", line 819, in process_all_mobi_headers
  File "calibre_plugins.kindleunpack_plugin.kindleunpack.kindleunpack", line 385, in processRESC
  File "calibre_plugins.kindleunpack_plugin.kindleunpack.mobi_k8resc", line 63, in __init__
  File "calibre_plugins.kindleunpack_plugin.kindleunpack.compatibility_utils", line 190, in unicode_str
  File "encodings\utf_8.py", line 16, in decode
UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xe1 in position 306: invalid continuation byte
This only happens with the portuguese dictionaries, all the other ones unpack fine:
Code:
Priberam's Portuguese-English Dictionary mobi-asin:B00D3CUH0U
Dicionário Priberam de Inglês-Português mobi-asin:B00D3CUH3C
Dicionário Priberam da Língua Portuguesa mobi-asin:B0050BXW8Q
If that matters, they were first DeDRMed with the Apprentice Tools v6.5.2, in calibre v2.77.0, on Widows 7.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 05:58 PM   #368
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's into the core KindleUnpack code. Give me some time to pass that on to some other eyes. I'm guessing that the kindlebook is reporting the wrong character encoding internally.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:01 PM   #369
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

@PoP:

Humor me and try the test KindleUnpack Plugin version attached to this post with your Portuguese books (but don't get your hopes too high).

EDIT: Removed beta attachment and updated first post with version 0.81.3

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-29-2017 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:16 PM   #370
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
@PoP:

Humor me and try the test KindleUnpack Plugin version attached to this post with your Portuguese books (but don't get your hopes too high).
Fixed All three books unpacked correctly. Many thanks.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 08:25 PM   #371
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoP View Post
Fixed All three books unpacked correctly. Many thanks.
Wow! That was sort of a wild-ass guess on my part, too! Woohoo!
Old 01-15-2017, 09:26 PM   #372
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Wow! That was sort of a wild-ass guess on my part, too! Woohoo!
Informed WAG's are good
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:31 AM   #373
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Informed WAG's are good
Indeed!

Well this is the first reported (KindleUnpack reported, anyway) incident of a KF8 book's RESC section containing anything that couldn't be decoded as utf-8. My hack just essentially says, "if utf-8 barfs, try latin-1 before failing miserably." We'll obviously have to see if we can't beef up the logic that decodes the RESC section's contents to unicode a little more.

I'm not going to make this test version "official" quite yet.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:48 AM   #374
kbaerwald
BioReader
kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Various
calibre (latest version) says KindleUnpack (aka MobiUnpack) plugin is too old and needs to be replaced by a new version. But there is no new version and the <Install> button is grayed out. The only choice seems to remove it. I am currently ignoring any warning messages.

Any idea what is happening?
kbaerwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 07:21 AM   #375
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbaerwald View Post
calibre (latest version) says KindleUnpack (aka MobiUnpack) plugin is too old and needs to be replaced by a new version. But there is no new version and the <Install> button is grayed out. The only choice seems to remove it. I am currently ignoring any warning messages.

Any idea what is happening?
I second this. Calibre claims the *Mobi*Unpack plugin is deprecated (but that isn't even there anymore) and removing it removes the *Kindle*Unpack plugin.

Reinstalling that gets you the same update notice again.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mobi2mobi