Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-25-2007, 09:35 PM   #1
gregr209
Enthusiast
gregr209 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505 / Kindle
Can you scratch the screen?

I am curious...what is the screen on the Kindle made of? Glass? Is it like an iPhone or a iTouch? I have a iTouch and am amazed that it is hard to scratch the actual screen, same with the iPhone.

If you scratched the screen it would be hard to read off it!

Thanks in advance for any comments on this.

Greg
gregr209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:42 PM   #2
gteague
Zealot
gteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toys

Device: kindle v1.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregr209 View Post
I am curious...what is the screen on the Kindle made of? Glass? Is it like an iPhone or a iTouch? I have a iTouch and am amazed that it is hard to scratch the actual screen, same with the iPhone.

If you scratched the screen it would be hard to read off it!

Thanks in advance for any comments on this.

Greg
not really responsive to the scratch question, but ...

being one of my big frustrations is how to hold on to the kindle, i was amused to see in the video on the kindle product page the 'college student' was mostly holding his with his thumb squarely in the middle of the screen.

on nearly all my equipment with displays i usually put some propholactyc screen protection over the screen, but the kindle seems to have a flat matte surface that invites you to leave it bare. it doesn't look like it would pick up and show fingerprints or reflections easily. don't know about the scratches though. i'm sure you don't mind if i try to forego that test! [g]

i'm still not holding it by the screen though, like the guy in the video.

/guy
gteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2007, 01:41 AM   #3
gregr209
Enthusiast
gregr209 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505 / Kindle
My iTouch has fingerprints on it all the time but they are very easy to clean off and I haven't had one scratch on the thing. I have seen videos where someone has take keys and even a razor to the iTouch/iPhone screen and it didn't scratch it. There is NO way I'm going to try it :-)

Greg
gregr209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:52 AM   #4
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregr209 View Post
I am curious...what is the screen on the Kindle made of? Glass?
The kindle has - according to information I was able to gather - exactly the same screen as Sony Reader.
My Sony reader display is unscratched. I take it with me everywhere. I use it many times a day, at least an hour a day.

It is possible to scratch the screen. The outer layer seems to be made of plastic.
Just do not toss an unprotected device into a bag. Just handle it carefully and it will stay OF for a long time.

Also, the surface is not smooth, but a kind of grainy, so it does not reflect light. I guess that very small scratches that would be visible in a glass smooth surface are not visible in e-ink display.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:19 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Kindle, Sony Reader, and CyBook Gen3 use exactly the same screen. It's tough, but obviously not scratch-proof. Keep the machine in its case, though, and it should be fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2007, 12:12 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Nope, it's not scratch proof -- I have a lovely nick in my prs500's display from careless handling of a metal ruler on my part. I keep thinking it's a speck of dust and trying to wipe it off -- annoying, but manageable.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote