Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-12-2011, 10:50 AM   #1
Wordslinger
Wordslinger began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Problem converting ePub to Mobi

I'm currently editing my novel and would like to read it on my Kindle. I used Pages to export the novel as an ePub file and imported it into Calibre for the transfer to Mobi. After the transfer I used the viewer to preview the Mobi file and noticed the text wrapping was way off. I had to scroll to the right to keep reading. There are also no paragraph indents. I checked out the ePub file and it looks okay, except the paragraph indents are a little small (I used a single tab space in Pages).

I don't know if the ePub file is messed up or if there are setting within Calibre I need to adjust before converting. I don't know much about creating an eBook, so it's possible there's more steps I have to take go get my novel ready for the conversion. I've used Calibre to convert Kindle books I purchased to Amazon to ePub without any issues.

Any help is appreciated.
Wordslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:30 PM   #2
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
I do the same thing with my novel (except I use a different WP).

I would suggest saving to html, then loading that in Sigil (another program, sort of like a word processor epub), then saving and converting that with Calibre.

(I also sometimes get lazy, just save it as text and put it on the Kindle that way. Since right now I'm just doing it for proofreading, the fancy formatting doesn't matter)
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2011, 11:00 PM   #3
Wordslinger
Wordslinger began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks. I exported the novel to a Word doc, saved it as HTML, and used Calibre to convert to Mobi. I had to play with some settings to get it to work, but it's almost perfect now. I originally loaded a PDF, but I want to adjust the font size and use the text-to-speech feature to help me edit.
Wordslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:04 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordslinger View Post
I'm currently editing my novel and would like to read it on my Kindle. I used Pages to export the novel as an ePub file and imported it into Calibre for the transfer to Mobi. After the transfer I used the viewer to preview the Mobi file and noticed the text wrapping was way off. I had to scroll to the right to keep reading.
Unafraid to expose my ignorance so here goes nothing.

Could it be that you set a fixed page width in pixels with Pages? I believe this would create what you see. If you make the viewer large enough do you see where the lines wrap?

If you did set a Fix page width in pixels you might want to change it to a percentage (100%) so it wraps correctly for ebooks.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote