Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 02-13-2011, 01:54 PM   #1
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Samsung Galaxy Tab $399 US at COSTCO

I went to COSTCO to buy coffee yesterday, and dropped by the cell phone kiosk. I noticed that the display GT was missing, so I asked the rep if they still had them. He said they had one left, and that it was $399 US off contract with Verizon. I was surprised because I had been on the VZW website on Friday, and they were still $499 there, but the rep told me that it was a COSTCO only deal, and that there was a 90 day return policy at COSTCO while at VZW it was only 30 days.

Since $399 is near my comfortable price point, I immediately bought it. I've been playing with it and reading "Towers of Midnight" on K4A since. I nearly have it customized to my liking, and must say that reading on the larger screen (I usually read on my 4.3" HTC EVO 4G) was quite enjoyable. All of my favorite apps work well on the larger format, so I'm not sure if Honeycomb will be as important to me as I've been led to believe, and the jury is still out on whether the GT will be upgraded to it in any case.

It is a little heavy for extended reading, and I haven't yet found a comfortable way to hold it, but I'm sure I'll figure that out; and I miss the HTC Sense UI.

All in all, I'm happy with it so far, and I need to determine my usage to decide if I'll cancel the $35/month data plan (I opted for the 3 GB plan) and just use WiFI. That will depend on how much I find myself carrying it outside of home.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:59 PM   #2
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
heading in the right direction. about 100 bucks from where I'll bite
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2011, 03:51 PM   #3
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Maybe I'll return mine to Costco and get the $399 one. I paid $499 right after Christmas. I'm reading the Honor Harrington series on mine. Aldiko is a very nice reading app.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:39 PM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
All in all, I'm happy with it so far, and I need to determine my usage to decide if I'll cancel the $35/month data plan (I opted for the 3 GB plan) and just use WiFI. That will depend on how much I find myself carrying it outside of home.
Doesn't the price require a 2-year contract with Verizon?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:56 PM   #5
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
List the GT in your profile

Not a kill joy but I think that bluetooth works on the Tmobile one only. Not a major concern though. The advantage is that if you decide to hack it later, the VW one will give voice; Tmobile blocks voice at carrier level so hacking the hardware does nothing on that point (all that is what I read from XDA forums)

About the launcher, try Launcher Pro, recommended and free!

by the way you'll love it! Really powerful and elegant device. lot of potential not just for ereading ...

Last edited by jocampo; 02-14-2011 at 12:05 AM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2011, 08:47 AM   #6
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
I looked at it at Costco as well. Don't like how narrow it is in portrait mode.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:59 AM   #7
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Doesn't the price require a 2-year contract with Verizon?
No, no contract. Month to Month only. But you have to take at least one month to set it up the first time, then you can cancel. The cheapest one month service is $20 for 2 GB, I opted for the three month one for $35 because overage is only $10/GB instead of $20 for the 2GB plan.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:13 AM   #8
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
No, no contract. Month to Month only. But you have to take at least one month to set it up the first time, then you can cancel. The cheapest one month service is $20 for 2 GB, I opted for the three month one for $35 because overage is only $10/GB instead of $20 for the 2GB plan.
Hmm, like Tmobile then. If that's the case, was a great offer! Are you able to use Bluetooth in yours, like an external keyboard?
Old 02-14-2011, 12:05 PM   #9
wodin
Illiterate

I haven't tried, but the liturature says it has BT, and the Wireless settings menu has it in there.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:10 PM   #10
wodin
Illiterate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Hmm, like Tmobile then. If that's the case, was a great offer! Are you able to use Bluetooth in yours, like an external keyboard?
I checked T-Mob a couple of weeks age, and theirs was $379 with a two year contract. I asked about the cost of service, and they told me it was ~$35 if your were a T-Mob customer; I asked what if your not, they said ~$70. I just said "thanks" and walked away!
Old 02-14-2011, 12:14 PM   #11
jocampo
Layback feline

Hmmm, weird ...

I'm not in a contract, just a month to month plan with zero penalty if drop, about 30 bucks only and unlimited data.

Maybe price depends of the branch, state and other factors.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:16 PM   #12
wodin
Illiterate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
About the launcher, try Launcher Pro, recommended and free!
I paid for "Open Home Full" on a previous phone, maybe I'll try that.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:40 PM   #13
rock
Addict
rock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Nook, Astak EZ Reader Pocket, iPhone 3g, Droid
It's 250. on Tmobile, but you need a 2 year contract.
rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:13 PM   #14
emt
Nameless Being

Just Got The Verizon Galaxy Tab at Costco, $399

Extremely happy - I came from a rooted Nook Color (which was really quite good for the $249 price but heavier and slower) so I sold the Nook and got the GTab - a few observations:

Bluetooth works very well indeed - I loaded all of my music/audiobooks on a 16GByte card (comes free with device) and can listen while surfing the web.

The screen is awesome - as good as the Nook Color and IPad and nicely sensitive and bright.

I got the month-to-month plan for $20 and will cancel in a few days as I only will use WiFi.

Now, I can use any book reader program (Nook, Kindle, Aldiko, etc.) without having to purchase a dedicated reader!

It's a hell of a good price - about $419 for a very fast, all-purpose tablet.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:27 PM   #15
jocampo
Layback feline

emt,

Enjoy. The GT is an awesome tablet!