Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 03-27-2011, 02:25 PM   #46
Kidd777
Kidd777 began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre Color
Aluratek Libre eReader Color for $75

After looking at reviews for this device I finally decided to pick one up last night. I got it at my local Menards for only $75. It is located in the Electrical department by the computer and networking parts. So far I am very impressed with the value of this device. Using Calibre to convert PDF books to avoid the zoom issues it has with the PDF format. Very clean design and clear text. Video playback is good. Haven't found a file it won't play yet. The only drawback is the speakers on the device are almost worthless but I would use headphones to not bother people around me while watching a movie or listening to music while reading. Volume through the headphones is loud and clean. I'm very happy with my purchase and I hope others can save some money and pick this up cheap like I did.
Kidd777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:18 AM   #47
binky
Book Monkey
binky doesn't litterbinky doesn't litter

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro
I find it's pretty hit and miss with comic books. I converted a few over, and Mage for example looked pretty good on it and I could have the page up and read it clearly, but others I had to zoom in and do a lot of panning to read the text properly.

I'm still looking for the ideal device to read comics on. In the meantime I've reverted to the Libre Pro for books, since I find it much easier on my eyes =).
binky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2011, 12:57 PM   #48
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I've just noticed a new model of the Aluratek Libre Color, AEBK08FB, which is wi-fi. Oddly, it's not on the Aluratek site, but it's at some online stores (e.g., here).

I had just about decided to order the AEBK07FS model. Now I feel like I need to wait in case there's a price cut after the new model is out.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:16 PM   #49
cdntinpusher
cdntinpusher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cdntinpusher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cdntinpusher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Libre Color
Libre Touch

Also here in Canada for $132:

http://www.shoprbc.com/ca/shop/produ....php?pid=70143
cdntinpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:25 PM   #50
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Catlady

The factory outlet store.com also has the AEBK07FS for $99.99.
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2011, 07:36 PM   #51
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenman View Post
Catlady

The factory outlet store.com also has the AEBK07FS for $99.99.
I only see the APMP101F 8" HD Media Player with only .txt ebook support,
just going to the Aluratek products.

Entering AEBK07FS does get to it though, and it is showing $99.95.
With free shipping as well.

They also show the 7" AEBK08FB "LIBRE Color Touch eBook Reader" available
for pre order at $149.95. With free shipping and Mid April delivery.
(I wonder about the "Touch" in the name, there is no reference to a
touchscreen in the description.)

Tempting... very tempting.

Luck;
Ken

Well, who said I could resist anyway? Hopefully I'll have something to post about
in a couple of weeks.

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 04-05-2011 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Impulse purchase.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:31 PM   #52
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I e-mailed Aluratek--they said the AEBK08FB model "may" be released in another month, which sounds pretty iffy.

I hesitate to order from FactoryOutletStore.com--the store has a lot of really negative reviews.

So ... I ordered the AEBK07FS model from B&H Photo, where the price just dropped to $106, free shipping. Should have it by Friday!
Old 04-05-2011, 08:40 PM   #53
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can live without another gadget for awhile, if they don't come through, and I won't
accept anything but a factory sealed box as meeting the "New" description of the sale.

Luck;
Ken

The site "FactoryOutletStore.com" is looking shaky to me as well, they won't be shipping
my order until mid month, (if then) and yet they have already placed the full charge at
my credit union.

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 04-05-2011 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:01 AM   #54
binky
Book Monkey

A potential $100-150 range colour touch screen would be very tempting for comic book reading =). It would make the panning and zooming much simpler if it has a capacitive touch screen, especially if it had dual points for pinching and so forth.

I've been looking at the Micro Velocity and Archos offerings but they're both resistive, and seem pretty subpar.

I haven't jumped on anything and can wait since I don't really read a whole lot of comics. I just have a large list from friends that I'm supposed to read, like History of Violence, Singularity, Stardust etc. as well as the obligatory Asterix, Tin Tin etc. from childhood.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:34 PM   #55
Ken Maltby
Wizard

The saga continues... I just received an email from "FactoryOutletStore.com" saying that
they had received my request to cancel my order for the AEBK08FB, and that I should
have my money back within 2-5 business days. This coming as a surprise to me, I
called the number supplied, and had a talk with a sales rep. who eventually told me that
the item was a "discontinued model". So, I may have to wait until Newegg or some other
more reliable retailer has them.

From the Google returns it looks like they are being sold in Canada, so I guess there is
some production of the device.

Luck;
Ken
Old 04-08-2011, 09:26 AM   #56
binky
Book Monkey

I looked around for the AEBK08FB here in Canada, there are several reputable (direct from warehouse type) retailers that have it listed, one even has it for $135.56, but absolutely no one has it in stock. I don't know if this thing actually exists at the moment, but I'm almost certain it isn't available for retail.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:09 AM   #57
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

As I mentioned, when I contacted Aluratek (through "live chat" on their site), I was told the new model "may" be available next month. I didn't press for any further info, as my primary interest was the current model.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:17 PM   #58
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

My new Aluratek Libre Color just arrived! First impressions are that the screen is huge compared to the JBL, and the weight is not bad at all--I was a bit worried it would feel too heavy.

I haven't done anything with it yet except turn it on, turn down the brightness, play with the controls, and glance through the preloaded books. I decided to follow instructions and fully charge it before really playing with it. But so far, so good!
Old 04-08-2011, 01:54 PM   #59
binky
Book Monkey

A guy at work uses it as a DVD player to keep his kids happy on those long car trips, just another way your Libre Color can be useful =).
Old 04-11-2011, 11:25 AM   #60
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

When I took my nearly full 4gb SD card out of the JBL and inserted it in the ALC, the ALC took forever to read it--probably over five minutes. Then it shut down; when I restarted it, it had added the SD card books to the library, but when I went to the File Explorer section and clicked on the SD card, it just did nothing. I don't know if it actually froze up or if I just got impatient, but again it was at least five minutes I waited.

Yes, there are a lot of files on the card, but the JBL loads them with no long delay. I was hoping that I could just swap out the card for times I want the backlit screen, but the delay was absurdly long. Plus with so many files, I absolutely need to access the folders to be able to find anything.

The other little problem is the sound. It is extremely low. I know that was discussed earlier in this thread, but I have the latest firmware, and still the sound is barely there even if I hold it right up to my ear.

I still love it, but I'm wondering if these are quirks I need to adjust to, or defects in my particular unit, and I thought I'd ask here before going to Aluratek. Thanks.