Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-28-2010, 06:42 PM   #1
Rhynedahll
Connoisseur
Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Can you upload a single short story to Amazon?

Wondering if this is possible.
Rhynedahll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:44 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Amazon has recently announced a new program for short pieces, see Amazon Singles - A new front in the war.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2010, 05:01 AM   #3
Luke King
Member Retired
Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
You can upload a short story to Amazon. I have a couple of short pieces there under another name. I write "a short story by" at the end of the blurb.
Luke King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:36 AM   #4
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Do you have to charge for them or can they be free?
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:57 AM   #5
Luke King
Member Retired
Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You have to charge at least $0.99.
Advert
Old 10-29-2010, 06:03 AM   #6
Rhynedahll
Connoisseur
Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke King View Post
You can upload a short story to Amazon. I have a couple of short pieces there under another name. I write "a short story by" at the end of the blurb.
Through the normal DTP process or is there some special route?
Rhynedahll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:25 AM   #7
Luke King
Member Retired

Just through the normal DTP.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:02 PM   #8
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You have to charge at least $0.99.
Can you use discount codes like on Smashwords, and then put the discount code in the item description?
Old 11-03-2010, 10:07 PM   #9
Luke King
Member Retired

I'm pretty sure there isn't any discount codes at Amazon, though I haven't read any of the DTP stuff for a long time. I suppose you could, theoretically, direct Amazon's readers to Smashwords by putting the Smashwords code in your blurb. My guess would be that Amazon would pick this up after you hit publish, and most likely ask you to change it.

What it comes down to in the end is that Amazon wants to retain control over the power of "free" in order to market its own books. Often, the free books you see at Amazon are books that have been picked up by Amazon Encore. They offer them for free, and then, when they get up to the top of a list, they slap a $9.99 price on them.

This is how it seems to me, anyway. I'm no expert.

Last edited by Luke King; 11-03-2010 at 10:10 PM. Reason: syntax
Old 11-03-2010, 10:17 PM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
I'm pretty sure there isn't any discount codes at Amazon, though I haven't read any of the DTP stuff for a long time. I suppose you could, theoretically, direct Amazon's readers to Smashwords by putting the Smashwords code in your blurb. My guess would be that Amazon would pick this up after you hit publish, and most likely ask you to change it.

What it comes down to in the end is that Amazon wants to retain control over the power of "free" in order to market its own books. Often, the free books you see at Amazon are books that have been picked up by Amazon Encore. They offer them for free, and then, when they get up to the top of a list, they slap a $9.99 price on them.

This is how it seems to me, anyway. I'm no expert.
There aren't any discount codes at Amazon for smaller publishers, only the big ones (like Harper-Collins). And I don't think a redirect would last long--Amazon hasn't accepted titles from Smashwords for nearly a year now, due to formatting quality issues--so there wouldn't be any economic incentive for them (Amazon) to allow you to essentially advertise a book you were selling elsewhere (Smashwords) on Amazon's site for free, if you see what I mean.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:49 AM   #11
Luke King
Member Retired

Yes, I see what you mean.

I found this on Amazon's price list requirements page:

"You must enter a price at least 99 cents. Publishers cannot offer free Kindle books at this time, but we are reviewing the possibility in the near future. Please check our Announcements section for any updates."
Old 11-04-2010, 08:18 AM   #12
williemeikle
Are the stars right yet?
williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Yes, it's a 99 cent lower limit. One of my publishers is planning on putting a whole stack of my stories on Amazon -- there's four there so far, and a couple of them sell pretty well considering how short they are (about 8000 words).
williemeikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:31 AM   #13
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass

Would you get away with saying "click here to read the free short story that accompanies this book" and have it go to Smashwords or similar? Or just a html version hosted somewhere that didn't have any selling involved? The short story would be included free with the book anyway, but people wouldn't need to know that.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:14 AM   #14
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Would you get away with saying "click here to read the free short story that accompanies this book" and have it go to Smashwords or similar? Or just a html version hosted somewhere that didn't have any selling involved? The short story would be included free with the book anyway, but people wouldn't need to know that.
Quite honestly, I think it's a little unreasonable for you to ask Amazon to act as your free advertising agency. If you want people to read your free shortie, put it here on MR; put it on Kobo with coupons; put it on Wattpad, put it on Smashwords. All those places get tons of traffic from people looking for free stories. On those sites, you'll get literally thousands of readers. You will, in fact, get more readers looking for freebies on those sites than you EVER will on Amazon, because freebies aren't really the stock-in-trade on Amazon, and neither are individual shorties.

If your point is to sell your story, then list it for money. I admit I do not understand why you seem so determined to find a way to put your story on Amazon when you aren't selling it.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:19 AM   #15
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post

If your point is to sell your story, then list it for money. I admit I do not understand why you seem so determined to find a way to put your story on Amazon when you aren't selling it.

Hitch
Amazon is where the readers are. It would be advertising for a longer (paid for) story and it would make sense to have them both in the same place. Plus you could have a direct link to the buy now page at the end of the short story, like you do with a normal sample.