Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-20-2010, 09:14 PM   #1
ow88
ow88 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Purchased Nook Books Showing Up Unavailable??

Hi so I just downloaded a bunch of free ebooks from the bn shop. And the purchase was successful, but when I goto my library to read them, it shows an option for me to "download", which is odd because it's suppose to be downloaded already after I purchased them. So I hit the download button anyway and after a mere 2 minutes loading, a message shows up saying:

"Product is Currently Unavailable

We're sorry. This item is temporarily not available. Please try again later or visit www.nook.com/support for details."

About 98% of the books I purchased for free shows that message and about 2% of the books actually opened successfully. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? How do I fix it?

I already tried archiving and unarchiving the books, but that was hopeless.
ow88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:54 PM   #2
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by ow88 View Post
Hi so I just downloaded a bunch of free ebooks from the bn shop. And the purchase was successful, but when I goto my library to read them, it shows an option for me to "download", which is odd because it's suppose to be downloaded already after I purchased them. So I hit the download button anyway and after a mere 2 minutes loading, a message shows up saying:

"Product is Currently Unavailable

We're sorry. This item is temporarily not available. Please try again later or visit www.nook.com/support for details."

About 98% of the books I purchased for free shows that message and about 2% of the books actually opened successfully. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? How do I fix it?

I already tried archiving and unarchiving the books, but that was hopeless.
Are you downloading via "Barnes & Noble Desktop Reader"? You can download from your account via Internet Explorer as well.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2010, 12:23 AM   #3
ow88

Perhaps it's because I am not within the US. So some books are not available to me. I got this message when I tried manually downloading the book from my BN library on the site:

"Geographical Constraint. Cannot download file in your location."
Old 02-21-2010, 09:36 AM   #4
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Perhaps it's because I am not within the US. So some books are not available to me. I got this message when I tried manually downloading the book from my BN library on the site:

"Geographical Constraint. Cannot download file in your location."
B&N has an ip-address check on their payment page. When buying books you always need to use a USA vpn (I use www.alwaysvpn.com myself).
There is no ip-address check on downloading books that are in your library.
After you have bought the book successfully using the VPN, you can download it to your PC or Nook without a problem.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 03:10 PM   #5
ow88

Hmm that's odd then, how come it wouldn't let me open my book then? Since I did purchase it successfully.
Advert
Old 02-21-2010, 04:50 PM   #6
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hmm that's odd then, how come it wouldn't let me open my book then? Since I did purchase it successfully.
You are allowed to buy the books, but a short while after that you should receive an e-mail from B&N that your order has been cancelled (at least that is what happens when I forget to ativate my VPN before buying books).

If you look at the order summary (at the top of your account page) your order should have the status "shipped", for the books to be downloaded.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:24 PM   #7
ow88

No the emails didn't say it was cancelled, but then again I didn't really go through all 30ish books. And I checked my order summary, all of the books have been "shipped". This is so weird, I still don't understand why it's not working then.. gahh

Last edited by ow88; 02-21-2010 at 09:06 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:07 AM   #8
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hi ow88...you seem to have bad luck on Nook 8-)

If I don't use alwaysvpn, all my purchased books will be cancelled almost immediately; even it said successful in the first place. My order summary also tells me that my orders were cancelled. I even get emails from B&N telling so.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:31 PM   #9
ow88

Haha I know right, maybe it wasn't meant to be for me to buy one. I went through so much crap to find someone that will ship to Canada. haha desperateness.

I don't want to use that vpn site you gave me, I think it charges you.

Last edited by ow88; 02-22-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:29 PM   #10
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
I've noticed that even tho I've had no problem buying or getting free B&N ebooks, I can't download the Google-provided books from Canada. So I'm guessing B&N can enforce geo-limits on a per-book basis when publishing it to their library.
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:35 PM   #11
geertm
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangri View Post
I've noticed that even tho I've had no problem buying or getting free B&N ebooks, I can't download the Google-provided books from Canada. So I'm guessing B&N can enforce geo-limits on a per-book basis when publishing it to their library.
If you want to download books from Canada that are restricted to USA only, you have to use a valid USA address in your B&N account, and use that same address as the billing address of your credit card.
That way you can buy and download all the books in the B&N store.

You do not have to use a VPN or proxy, because Canadian IP-addresses are allowed.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:39 PM   #12
klay
klay began at the beginning.

Quote:
Haha I know right, maybe it wasn't meant to be for me to buy one. I went through so much crap to find someone that will ship to Canada. haha desperateness.

I don't want to use that vpn site you gave me, I think it charges you.
Ow88 I went through the same stuff here, the order will say successfull, it will also say "shipped", but you wont be able to download, then shortly after you will get an email saying that the order was cancelled.

You don't need to use always vpn, any american proxy will work.

I believe there is also one called hotspot shield?

To get around this myself I setup a proxy on a virtual server in the states.
klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:44 PM   #13
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
If you want to download books from Canada that are restricted to USA only, you have to use a valid USA address in your B&N account, and use that same address as the billing address of your credit card.

You do not have to use a VPN or proxy, because Canadian IP-addresses are allowed.
You're wrong, some books have additional restrictions and cannot be downloaded from Canada even if they're in your account (and account has a US card/address on file).
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:10 PM   #14
ow88

Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post

Yeah see that's the thing. I even changed my billing address to an united states address. But still no luck. I don't even know if I got emails from bn saying my orders were cancelled, I deleted them assuming they were all confirmed shipped orders after opening one saying the same thing.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:10 PM   #15
ow88

Quote:
Originally Posted by klay View Post
Ow88 I went through the same stuff here, the order will say successfull, it will also say "shipped", but you wont be able to download, then shortly after you will get an email saying that the order was cancelled.

You don't need to use always vpn, any american proxy will work.

I believe there is also one called hotspot shield?

To get around this myself I setup a proxy on a virtual server in the states.
I tried hotspot shield already, but I don't think it worked. Oh well I'll try it again some time and let you guys know if it worked or not.