Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-24-2009, 04:14 PM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
What a waste of time - FOLDERS NEEDED

I see there is a new version of software rolling out, but it does not have the most important feature, folders!

I admit I am a pretty anal person (after all, I am a tax lawyer) but this is getting ridiculous. Although all my books were formatted correctly (I thought), about half were sorting by author's first name. I wouldn't care so much if I could sort everything into folders, but since alphabetizing is the only way to currently sort, it was driving me crazy. So, I stayed up all night using mobi2mobi to get everything corrected. I have 200 books, so it did take a little time.

Now, I am fooling around with 3 books that didn't convert correctly. I don't mind that, because it isn't as mindless as changing author format. What a waste of time. Except for this, I love my kindle.

I know, rant, rant, rant.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:50 PM   #2
Kindleist
Kindleist began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
The best way is to keep petitioning Amazon until they give us folders. I suspect we wont get folders until Kindle v2 comes out.
Kindleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:55 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindleist View Post
I suspect we wont get folders until Kindle v2 comes out.
Why do you suspect that?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:11 AM   #4
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
I totally agree with this!

It drives my crazy to have several books in a series on my Kindle and not having a way to indicate the correct reading order.

Mobi2Mobi can't edit metadata on DRM'd books so that doesn't help, and in any event I can't seem to get it to work if I point it at books on the Kindle (I.E. using it as a USB drive without moving the books off it to my PC hard drive). All that does is produce a lockup...

It is ludicrous for a reader with a keyboard to have no way to add comments to the metadata on the device's storage.

And yes, I have tried the method of creating a text file with the correct reading order. That's dumb. I mean that is REALLY dumb to have to do...
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:12 AM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdibella View Post
Mobi2Mobi can't edit metadata on DRM'd books so that doesn't help,
Actually, I'm pretty sure it can.

BOb
Old 01-27-2009, 10:14 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It can indeed. The metadata for Mobi files is stored separately from the DRM'd book text, so the fact that a book is DRM-enhanced doesn't affect one's ability to edit the metadata.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:15 AM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
DRM-enhanced
Isn't that an oxymoron?

BOb
Old 01-29-2009, 07:44 AM   #8
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Why do you suspect that?

BOb
I suspect the same... SW right now are focusing on getting the new HW up and running. They may also be rolling in some interface improvements in this branch. Prior to release (or a month or so later) we may see the two code forks merge back into one baseline.

Its just a possibility, but other consumer product dev teams do this. Tivo for example. A new product line has basic UI improvements.. and a few months later (or in Tivo's case a lot of months later) they merge into one unified build.

Some HW differences create different features sets, but the overall code base and UI improvements come a long.
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:57 AM   #9
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
I've got my books organized into folders on my Kindle. But, I suspect you are talking about the ability to see folders on the menu?

That would be nice, if only because you wouldn't have to page through so many books if they were sorted in folders via author .... or whatever.

As for reading order, what I've been doing is setting up reading lists, converting them to mobi and then putting them on my Kindle as a new book. So, for example, I've got my 37 (or so) Pratchett Discworld books listed in publication order, and when it's time for the next one, I just go to that book .... look it up .... and on to the next.

Since the "correct" reading order is available online for many authors, it can be a simple to take the html or do a block and copy. Saves having to type it.

(And, no .... I don't think I'm violating anyone's copyright by doing that anymore than if I xeroxed one page out of a book for my own personal use.)
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:30 PM   #10
chorpler
Zealot
chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle; PRS-500; MobiPocket on Windows Mobile
Another nice thing about implementing a hierarchial "Home" menu on the Kindle: folders would be one way of handling books that are part of a series, and it wouldn't even require adding a "series" field to the metadata.

Man, that would be cool.

RickyMaveety, your method is intriguing as a stop-gap measure in the meantime. I think I'll try that.
chorpler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:26 PM   #11
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindleist View Post
The best way is to keep petitioning Amazon until they give us folders. I suspect we wont get folders until Kindle v2 comes out.
I agree, I really don't think Amazon will bother at this stage in the game.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:37 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chorpler View Post
Another nice thing about implementing a hierarchial "Home" menu on the Kindle: folders would be one way of handling books that are part of a series, and it wouldn't even require adding a "series" field to the metadata.

Man, that would be cool.

RickyMaveety, your method is intriguing as a stop-gap measure in the meantime. I think I'll try that.
Just use your 500 to read books in a series and create collections.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:56 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
As for reading order, what I've been doing is setting up reading lists, converting them to mobi and then putting them on my Kindle as a new book. So, for example, I've got my 37 (or so) Pratchett Discworld books listed in publication order, and when it's time for the next one, I just go to that book .... look it up .... and on to the next.
Another way of doing it is to edit the metadata for the book and add the series name and book "order" to the title, so they then sort correctly by series and book.

Quote:
Since the "correct" reading order is available online for many authors, it can be a simple to take the html or do a block and copy. Saves having to type it.
Agreed. Best site for that that I know of is:

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk

A superb resource for both current and past authors.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:21 PM   #14
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Another way of doing it is to edit the metadata for the book and add the series name and book "order" to the title, so they then sort correctly by series and book.
I do something similar with the title of my recipe files to get them to all sort together in the right groupings when I want to browse rather than search them. I've also stored a lot of my pbooks in boxes since I'm out of shelf space. I keep track of the box contents in a big spreadsheet. It has columns for just that purpose so I can search by series even when I can't remember the title of each individual book. I'm amazed how many of the paper books don't list this information, either. It seems a natural thing to be able to set in metada or to print in the pbook. Some of these books haven't been read in 20 years and we don't remember which order they go in. I'm so glad that sites like FantasticFiction.co.uk exist.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:07 PM   #15
chorpler
Zealot
chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle; PRS-500; MobiPocket on Windows Mobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Just use your 500 to read books in a series and create collections.
But my wife uses the 500 and I use the Kindle.
chorpler is offline   Reply With Quote