Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-16-2013, 08:38 PM   #1
chris3883
chris3883 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Recommendation

I'm looking for books similar to the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Well, I should explain what I like about the book. Doesn't necessarily need to be a thriller or mystery, but some action or drama helps. I like books with characters who are very introspective and analytical. With characters who are very perceptive about the actions of others, and why they do the things they do. And characters who are smart about their actions and optimize their decisions. And maybe some mild philosophy about how people do what that do.

Does that make any sense? Any suggestions are appreciated!
chris3883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:05 AM   #2
tm3
Groupie
tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle 3
well if you have not yet read the other two books in the trilogy i would recommend them.

i understand your description and will say that i also enjoy characters like that. one of my favorite novels is Point of Impact and the lead character exhibits those features.

hopefully you will get some other recommendations.
tm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:30 AM   #3
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Casting a pretty wide net there, but I would say if you like the whole Nordic thing, the Jo Nesbo and Henning Mankell mystery/thriller series would fit the bill. Both series feature detectives who could not be more different than one another, but they are both very well drawn characters, shrewd and perceptive, but that are also trying to overcome personal issues. Mankell's Inspector Wallander, for example, considers himself a coward, and is not above crying it out, yet he is always putting himself in himself into harm's way and is a dogged detective. Nesbo's Harry hole struggles with alcoholism.

Also I would recommend Lee Child's Jack Reacher series. Reacher is extremely shrewd and calculating about how best to go about solving the problem at hand, and he is not above a little brutality if the situation calls for it.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:54 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I can't see how Jack Reacher is anything like the OP is looking for.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #5
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Oh JS Wolf. Don't you have anything better to do? The OP wanted "characters who are smart about their actions and optimize their decisions." You really don't think that describes Jack Reacher's character? Have you read the books?

I don't see you offering either a rationale as to why my recommendation is poor, or recommendations of your own.

I took time out of my day to attempt to help out with a recommendation or two. Maybe my recommendation was not helpful, but your pedantic criticism of my recommendation is even less so.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:49 AM   #6
tm3
Groupie
tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
i think that it depends on the particular reacher book.

i have read three reacher books, and am on my 4th.

the first two imo did not fit what the OP is after. they were full of "superman without the cape" over-sensationalism, and not much cerebration.

the last one and the current one (The Enemy) are different and i agree with usuallee's characterization.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:05 PM   #7
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
If you like espionage, the Milo Weaver series (The Tourist et. al.) by Olen Steinhauer has a psychological intensity and unorthodox approach that at times reminded me of the Larson books.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:06 PM   #8
ametzler
Zealot
ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite II
Quote:
Originally Posted by tm3 View Post
i think that it depends on the particular reacher book.

i have read three reacher books, and am on my 4th.

the first two imo did not fit what the OP is after. they were full of "superman without the cape" over-sensationalism, and not much cerebration.

the last one and the current one (The Enemy) are different and i agree with usuallee's characterization.
For me personally, #3 (Tripwire), was the worst one yet (at #10 currently), as I lost suspense of disbelief.

Spoiler:

The major crime relies on the following szenario:
A company is failing due to tight liquidity. It has a *huge* amount of equity, i.e. compared to the company's assets (e.g. real estate) the liabilities are tiny.

At this point the financing banks sell their claim at a huge discount (priced at something like 10% of the outstanding notional).

Which I simply could not swallow. Given the abovementioned szenario the financing banks would ask for collateral for the loans (e.g. a mortgage) in exchange for a providing liquidity instead of taking a huge loss. Or even more probable, the loans were already collateralized.

#4 OTOH is very slick, it's gets points for one of most original methods of murder I have ever read.
ametzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:14 PM   #9
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I'll second everything that usuallee posted. Particularly the recommendations for Henning Mankell and Jo Nesbo. I was a huge fan of the Millennium Trilogy, and have enjoyed the books featuring Wallander & Hole almost as much.

The Jack Reacher books are also pretty good, but I agree that only some of them fit the kind of thing you are looking for, sometimes there's a little too much action and along with his ability to deal with any situation with consummate ease is a bit much, even for someone who likes the books!
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:27 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll go with the Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn. But you do have to read Term Limits first even though Mitch Rapp is not in it because it gives foreground to the series. It's like book 0.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #11
tm3
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
sometimes there's a little too much action and along with his ability to deal with any situation with consummate ease is a bit much, even for someone who likes the books!
that is a good way to put it. the character is just too unbelievable at times.

i tried Nesbo (Snowman) and Mankell (Man from Bejing, Dogs of Riga) with great anticipation as someone had recommended them as similar to Stieg Larsson, but i came away disappointed. i have one more Nesbo book and will give it a try but i'm probably done with Mankell.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:35 PM   #12
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
And I thought your "superman without the cape" description summed it up nicely.

I really enjoyed Dogs of Riga, haven't read The Snowman yet, but just finished The Redeemer which I really enjoyed. I guess it just goes to show that personal preferences can play a big part, even for authors you have been recommended.

Another suggestion that came to mind, because I heard him being interviewed on radio today, is Jeffery Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme series. It's been a really long time since I read any of them but I do remember there being lots of twists and turns in his books and Rhyme is a quadriplegic who works as a forensic consultant for the police, so has to out-think those he is trying to catch, which might be of interest for you.

Now that I've been reminded, I might try and see if I can get some of his books as ebooks.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:09 PM   #13
tm3
Groupie

btw the 3 Reacher books i read were not the first 3 in the series. the first one was "61 Hours" which had an interesting plot but was killed by the over-reaching sensationalism. "the affair" and "the enemy" are both pretty good. i should start at the beginning, and skip "tripwire" per ametzler's comments.

Olen Steinhauer sounds very appealing. unfortunately none of his books are available at my library. i still can't bring myself to pay $10 for an ebook.

i remember reading a Lincoln Rhyme book a long time ago, and not liking it. same for Vince Flynn. but, it could be that i just caught bad ones in the series kind of like the Reacher "61 Hours."
Old 06-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #14
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
The Curious Incident of the Dog in Nighttime by Mark Haddon. It is narrated by a 15 year old boy who is on the Autism spectrum. Because his way of thinking is different from the people around him, he spends a lot of time thinking about how others think, and why they act the way they do. There is a mystery to solve as well, but it's not a thriller. This book is probably not quite what you had in mind, but it is in an excellent book and you may want to give it a shot.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:53 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

tm3, recommending a series that you have not actually read in order is not a good idea. Not everyone likes to read a series willy nilly. If you had read Jack Reacher in order, you would not have recommended it.