Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-17-2012, 11:59 AM   #1
Ptaker
Enthusiast
Ptaker began at the beginning.

Device: K3 Wifi No Ads/K4 Wifi ads
Calibre crashes due to Python27.dll

Calibre crashed due to Python27.dll, version 2.7.3150.1013. Previously I did a complete uninstall of Calibre 0858 and installed the Calibre 0858 beta as suggested. Calibre still was crashing. I then installed Calibre 0859 and finally 0860. Same result. This last time I was editing the metadata for a book when it crashed.

NOTE: In the past, I had put Calibre into Debug mode but it crashed without a log. This last time it crashed while in debug mode but did provide the attached error information.

Question: How can I replace the Python27.dll version 2.7.3150.1013 with an updated version that will work? I cannot stand the constant crashing. I know this has been a problem with other Calibre users but searched and cannot find a solution for these crashes.

Please help me here. It is very hard to use this great program when it is crashing.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Calibre Bombed 071612 at 942pm.pdf (69.3 KB, 187 views)
File Type: pdf Calibre Error Report.pdf (23.1 KB, 177 views)
Ptaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:16 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptaker View Post
Calibre crashed due to Python27.dll, version 2.7.3150.1013. Previously I did a complete uninstall of Calibre 0858 and installed the Calibre 0858 beta as suggested. Calibre still was crashing. I then installed Calibre 0859 and finally 0860. Same result. This last time I was editing the metadata for a book when it crashed.

NOTE: In the past, I had put Calibre into Debug mode but it crashed without a log. This last time it crashed while in debug mode but did provide the attached error information.

Question: How can I replace the Python27.dll version 2.7.3150.1013 with an updated version that will work? I cannot stand the constant crashing. I know this has been a problem with other Calibre users but searched and cannot find a solution for these crashes.

Please help me here. It is very hard to use this great program when it is crashing.
IMHO there is nothing in that DLL (I have same version) that is causing your problem.
Something ELSE on your system is clashing with Calibre and triggering a crash .
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:26 PM   #3
Ptaker
Enthusiast

Thank you for the quick reply.

How do I go about finding out what is clashing with Calibre? Putting it into debug mode doesn't seem to work since the program just either freezes or just dies without warning and doesn't leave a log.

I did go into the My Computer -->Manage -->Event Viewer -->Application and found the error log. Most times there is no error log created.

It seems to happen when I am either adding a book or editing the metadata by adding a cover or changing the author's name. Things like that. Not just one thing can trigger the crash.

Since it has happened to others too, I thought someone out there could offer a suggestion. Isn't there a python27.dll in a later version that is more improved or advanced? I searched the internet for such a solution but to no avail.

It should be noted that at least 7 - 10 versions ago, the program did work flawlessly. Then the crashes started and haven't stopped with each new version.

Last edited by Ptaker; 07-17-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:37 PM   #4
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Is Heuristic Processing on? That caused a problem for someone else after version 8.43.

You could try unplugging your network cable, turn your antivirus software off, then try running it.

Also try running calibre first before anything else. Try also using msconfig to turn all but necessary services on. That might help you track down what might be conflicting.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
T

Since it has happened to others too, I thought someone out there could offer a suggestion. Isn't there a python27.dll in a later version that is more improved or advanced? I searched the internet for such a solution but to no avail.

It should be noted that at least 7 - 10 versions ago, the program did work flawlessly. Then the crashes started and haven't stopped with each new version.
That version IS the one shipped with Calibre.

Good luck on finding an interaction.
We had a person with a crash problem: turns out they had installed a 3rd party Crash Report tool. That was what was casing the problem

So ask yourself "What about my installation is NOT basic (vanilla) Windows and Local Calibre"?

BTW it appears that your crashes all are happening with some change being applied to the DB. So have you excluded the Library folder from your A/V/M?
Old 07-17-2012, 12:50 PM   #6
Ptaker
Enthusiast

I have about 8 libraries that I use to keep track of books for different kindles in use. I switch between the libraries when I am adding books to them for future reading by members of my family.

What is "A/V/M that you mentioned?

I will review what I have added to my computer in the past but that is a long list of program updates and new software. That is an impossible job.

Any other way to find out what keeps the program crashing? Should I use a separate calibre with each library?

If it is a library, how do I discover what book or books are causing the crash? The crash can occur when I am adding to one of four main libraries. The others have not been added to recently.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
I have about 8 libraries that I use to keep track of books for different kindles in use. I switch between the libraries when I am adding books to them for future reading by members of my family.

What is "A/V/M that you mentioned?

I will review what I have added to my computer in the past but that is a long list of program updates and new software. That is an impossible job.

Any other way to find out what keeps the program crashing? Should I use a separate calibre with each library?

If it is a library, how do I discover what book or books are causing the crash? The crash can occur when I am adding to one of four main libraries. The others have not been added to recently.
Anti-Virus Anti-Malware or whatever that is inserting itself in between Calibre an its files

I think we can (mostly) rule out M$ updates, most of us keep those current.
Same goes for the popular Secrity software.: There would be others that are running the same.

Have you checked the failing DB's?
Are ALL the failing Libraries on a Local drive?
Old 07-17-2012, 04:03 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You could do one of two things.. Try going into safe mode with networking and try running Calibre and see if it crashes.

Also, you could run msconfig and uncheck anything everything that starts up with the computer that won't cause the computer not to start up (startup tab).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:39 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I then installed Calibre 0859 and finally 0860. Same result. This last time I was editing the metadata for a book when it crashed.
Exit calibre, then rename or move the calibre settings folder, then start calibre. The calibre settings will be rebuilt from scratch and if your lucky things will work again.

Alternatively try the portable version and see if that works.

Good Luck
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:21 AM   #10
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
It is important to remember that some calibre problems are from things having nothing to do with calibre. For a long time, and maybe still, calibre would have problems if a particular brand of graphics tablet was attached!
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote