Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-13-2010, 06:58 PM   #61
zorah
Enthusiast
zorah is on a distinguished road

Device: iPad; iPhone; Asus T91MT; Kindle Touch
Interesting points. Will HP make a WebOS based tablet. Well, Apple made the Ipad that runs the same software as the iPhone, so perhaps.
With regards to the original idea of this discussion, I am a bona fide iPhone user with over 100 apps, etc. But I made the choice to get the Asus T91MT netbook because I still wanted the built in keyboard and pen input. I have kind of pondered the idea of a Tablet PC for many years now, but was not going to spend the money on a full size notebook one, so when the Asus came out, I knew I would want it, but waited for the iPad specs, not to mention the fact that I already have two netbooks, the original Asus that started it all as well as an Acer. Even after the specs were revealed, and as it was released, I very nearly ordered one anyway! But I still wanted the tablet/portrait mode available too to also use it as an e-reader, and especially wanted a touch screen too. Also of course use at home when on the internet, but I do want the ability to have flash. Don't care about flash on the iPhone so much as the iPhone meets my needs for on the fly use. I don't need all the iPhone apps on a tablet form factor either because most of my apps are meant for on the fly input, but I can appreciate the coolness of being able to use apps on the iPad and I do so enjoy the App Store!! (and I will say, I played with one on display and it is very sleek, and of course, I know the interface of the iPhone) But for me, the Asus Tablet netbook did win out-meets the specs I want, but it's a netbook that is also a touchscreen.
zorah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:48 AM   #62
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I have two netbooks for on-the-road use, and I had a 3.1-pound Sony Viao before those. I prefer tablet form and waited for one that would work for me. I was going to wait longer, then I read that HP and Microsoft pulled back. So I bought an iPad. I'll switch tablets if something much better emerges, but I won't buy any more netbooks. I will keep buying laptops for more extensive computing.

For me, instant access to e-books, e-mail and Internet is more important on the go than computing power. For everything else, I have full-on computers at home and work.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2010, 07:59 PM   #63
Harry7
Harry7 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
i'd call creating a dummy account for the sole purpose of posting two anti-apple messages in this forum trolling. take a look, the harry7 account was created, posted 2 messages in 15 minutes, and disappeared. looks like someone trolling without the gumption to post under their real account. lol.

enlighten us kenny.. what is a "real" operating system..?
Why so defensive? I'm not a troll I'm just giving my opinion. Is that OK when it comes to the ipad or will the Apple police bust my door down lol? All I'm saying is maybe we should wait more than a month before proclaiming every other computing device obsolete. One million ipads in a month sounds like alot and it is until you compare it to other hot tech items. Netbooks still have their place and they still do things the ipad can't do. People are still buying netbooks they aren't going away. No reason for you to get your pantyies in a bunch.

And what do you mean by "dummy account"?

Last edited by Harry7; 05-15-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Harry7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:37 PM   #64
roswell1965
roswell1965 began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch, Palm Tungsten E2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAstoria View Post
I think it is a great dedicated reader! After owning a Kindle the past couple of years, this device is everything I missed in the Kindle. In landscape mode, the Ipad really does disappear as you get immersed in your book. A gentle tap at the right edge turns the pages of the very realistic book.
Apparently you haven't heard the news.. Backlit displays cause EYESTRAIN and are therefore inferior and inappropriate when compared to the Kindle and other eInk devices

That's OK, I never got got that memo either; I've read dozens of novels on my Palm Tungsten with not a hint of "eyestrain"..
roswell1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:54 AM   #65
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I've never been especially bothered reading from backlit displays, though they were mostly small ones. My eyes get tired after hours of reading anything. Maybe it's because I usually read with white text on a black background and turn the brightness down.

For me the main advantages of e-ink are the ability to read outside in the sun and battery life.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2010, 09:19 AM   #66
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
For me the main advantages of e-ink are the ability to read outside in the sun and battery life.
Have to say I'm very impressed with the iPad battery life so far. Was reading comics last night, and in two hours the battery went from 100% to 87%. That scales out to about 15 hours (maybe 12-13 is more realistic), which puts it up into the full-transatlantic-flight category.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:02 AM   #67
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Have to say I'm very impressed with the iPad battery life so far. Was reading comics last night, and in two hours the battery went from 100% to 87%. That scales out to about 15 hours (maybe 12-13 is more realistic), which puts it up into the full-transatlantic-flight category.
I always get around only 1 hour per 10% battery doing all kinda stuff (reading, video, gaming, surfing). Maybe a bit more, just as the specs stated.

But then again, during a flight, brightness would be set to near-zero and wifi would be off. It'd be possible to squeeze more out of the battery.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:09 AM   #68
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
I always get around only 1 hour per 10% battery doing all kinda stuff (reading, video, gaming, surfing). Maybe a bit more, just as the specs stated.

But then again, during a flight, brightness would be set to near-zero and wifi would be off. It'd be possible to squeeze more out of the battery.
10 hours is still nothing to sneeze at.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:33 PM   #69
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post

Yeah, when using my girlfriends iPad I tend to get 8-12% down each hour with various tasks--reading, net surfing, streaming video etc. Definitely in the 10-12 hour range.

I have a few issues that keep me from wanting to buy my own. But battery life isn't one of them. 10-12 hours is plenty for me in a tablet. 8 hours or so is my threshold. As long as I can get a work day out of it and just plug it in every night or two I'm golden.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:44 PM   #70
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
I agree, the battery life is not an issue. As for the backlit reading, I think it's fine. With the Kindle app, I can turn it way down or change it to sepia for a "gentler" mode. Also if needed, there is an option to reverse to black blackground with white print. Another "plus" for the Kindle app is the ability to highlight text, type a note, and add a bookmark. Plus since it syncs with your Amazon account automatically, you can pick up where you left off in a book on your computer or iPhone with the Amazon apps/programs. Nice! I am surprised that there is no search capability but you can check your highlights and notes in current book.

Ibook app allows brightness control, font sizing, adding a bookmark, and searching current book. It also has a dictionary and you can copy text! Nice for note taking or sending a quote via email.

Last edited by MsAstoria; 05-19-2010 at 01:03 PM. Reason: clarified comments
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:46 PM   #71
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Yeah, when using my girlfriends iPad I tend to get 8-12% down each hour with various tasks--reading, net surfing, streaming video etc. Definitely in the 10-12 hour range.

I have a few issues that keep me from wanting to buy my own
Curious, what issues?
Old 05-19-2010, 02:20 PM   #72
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
He wants a reasonable file system and would prefer a slightly larger device.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:51 PM   #73
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Yep, Crowl hit my two main needs in a tablet device.

11-12" screen (ideally A4 or 8.5x11") as I mainly want a tablet for working with letter sized PDFs and word documents (reading and marking up etc.).

I want a PC style file system so I can manage all my content easily, have files accessible to any app that supports them without having to manually load the file into each app like you do on the iPad currently with PDF readers etc.

I also want a more open system with the ability to install flash and whatever other programs/plugins I need. Not a company that decides what I can or can't run on hardware I buy.

In short, I want a tablet mainly for work purposes--with all the media consumption stuff as a minor, secondary use. The iPad is pretty solid as a media consumption tablet, but just isn't what I need. I need something that leans a lot more toward being a tablet pc than just a media consumption device. I don't necessarily need a full OS like Windows 7. But definitely something that leans more that direction than the iPhone OS.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 03:10 PM   #74
MsAstoria
Evangelist

Ah, I see :-)