Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-05-2010, 01:13 PM   #31
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
You should be able to get the Ebook of everything as well, in fact through webscriptions you can get the eBook before the pBook (if they offer it in a webscription).
Except they don't offer an author's full catalog online (unless the author chooses to, it seems). So for example, I got hooked on Spider Robinson through Webscriptions, but to actually read the whole Callahan series, I need to buy 3/4ths of that series in print. The only eBooks from that series available in eBook form right now are the two books focusing on Callahan's wife.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:14 PM   #32
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
And the Honorverse!!
Mission of Honor - Now available as a $15 E-ARC!!!

Buy your copy now! Get Addicted! Become a Baen Crack Whore!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2010, 01:20 PM   #33
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
I for one would love to know if this is really the case, is Baen's combination of the free library and webscriptions actually successful? Everyone keeps pointing to them as the bright shining light of how things should be done, but is it really a viable model for more than the admittedly niche market Baen is in?

Personally, I fall right into there market, so whether it is successful or not I hope they keep it up.
Baen's claim to currently get 10-15 percent of their entire revenue from e-books, piracy and all. Eric Flint wrote a long series of articles, describing his personal experience with increased mid-list sales due to free e-books.

From everything I've heard, they are profitable, but are limited on the paper side by a limited number of slots per month through Tor/MacMillian.

One of these days, they may try an e-book only route....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:37 PM   #34
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What evidence do you have for that?
Intelligence?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:47 PM   #35
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Mission of Honor - Now available as a $15 E-ARC!!!

Buy your copy now! Get Addicted! Become a Baen Crack Whore!

Derek
I'm being patient and going for the July webscription http://www.webscription.net/p-1194-w...scription.aspx
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2010, 01:49 PM   #36
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
As they say, "The first one's free..."
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:13 PM   #37
Pardoz
Which side are you on?
Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
Unfortunately I saw a whole catalog of Baen books on torrent in one download file
It was quite possibly legit - hell, they link to sites hosting torrents of their CDs direct from their front page.
Pardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:21 PM   #38
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

http://us.macmillan.com/splash/publishers/index.html
http://www.hachettebookgroup.com/pub...ng-groups.aspx
http://www.harpercollins.com/footer/companyProfile.aspx (right hand side)

A nice convenient list of the publishers that are tied to each of the uberpublishers.

I'm not clear on this. Does, for example, HarperCollins own all of the smaller publishing houses? Or do they operate independently and will they be setting their own pricing?

If each of the "big 3" listed above owns the publishers listed on their pages, then I seriously question where competition has gone. Especially when the "big 3" are working hand-in-hand (with Apple and each other?) to price-fix? And if they do own them all, then I'll be avoiding a lot of books in the future.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:29 PM   #39
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyanonymous View Post
http://us.macmillan.com/splash/publishers/index.html
http://www.hachettebookgroup.com/pub...ng-groups.aspx
http://www.harpercollins.com/footer/companyProfile.aspx (right hand side)

A nice convenient list of the publishers that are tied to each of the uberpublishers.

I'm not clear on this. Does, for example, HarperCollins own all of the smaller publishing houses? Or do they operate independently and will they be setting their own pricing?

If each of the "big 3" listed above owns the publishers listed on their pages, then I seriously question where competition has gone. Especially when the "big 3" are working hand-in-hand (with Apple and each other?) to price-fix? And if they do own them all, then I'll be avoiding a lot of books in the future.
Three things the 'Big 3' publishers should do well to remember:

1. Public Libraries - I know *my* taxes go to support mine!
2. High-resolution webcams - I just got my latest one which has a *base* resolution of 5MP and can capture 20MP (interpolated).
3. Netbooks - I've got one.

What does this mean? Well, with the judicious modification of a cardboard box, a small sheet of matte-finish plexiglas, a bit of freeware and the above three items I can create my own ebooks for my own reading pleasure - and it isn't all that hard.

So many people who have computers *have* most of the tools needed to create their own - takes a couple of days. If the 'Big 3' keep jacking us customers around, well, we already own a share of those bestsellers sitting in the library...

I've got NO problem with a $10 ebook price on new and bestsellers.

Derek
Old 02-05-2010, 02:30 PM   #40
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
First, that you don't *like* the titles and authors in the Baen's stable does *NOT* mean these titles are 'less valuable'.

Second, after the sales of various titles reach a certain minimum, (there probably are other criteria affecting the move) they can be moved to Baen's Free Library, where they are available in most major ebook formats for immediate, no-DRM, *NO-COST* download. There they reside and act as marketing tools for newer books by the authors.

I *get* that you don't like Baen and that you don't like their marketing model, but don't presume to claim that your dislike means it doesn't work!

Derek
I *get* that you dont understand what devils advocate means!

I love Baens books, specially the honour harrington series and many others. The reason they are less valuable is that they are worth less, thats why Baen sell them for less. It certainly doesnt mean they arent as good!

I was however making the point that Baen are not a company selling AAA author titles that would sell in Hardback at $25 each so they are making the right decision marketing wise for THEM.

That does not mean that if macmillan were to follow the same marketing strategy as Baen that they would be succesful, also im fairly confident that macmillan male more money than Baen, so it could be argued quite sensibly that macmillans way works better!

Again where did I say I dont like Baen? or their marketing?
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:37 PM   #41
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
I *get* that you dont understand what devils advocate means!

I love Baens books, specially the honour harrington series and many others. The reason they are less valuable is that they are worth less, thats why Baen sell them for less. It certainly doesnt mean they arent as good!

I was however making the point that Baen are not a company selling AAA author titles that would sell in Hardback at $25 each so they are making the right decision marketing wise for THEM.

That does not mean that if macmillan were to follow the same marketing strategy as Baen that they would be succesful, also im fairly confident that macmillan male more money than Baen, so it could be argued quite sensibly that macmillans way works better!

Again where did I say I dont like Baen? or their marketing?
I dunno, let's just guess I derived this view from your statement of Baen's work being 'less valuable', 'worth less'...

For me, I've read many-many books from both MacM and Baen and proportionately, I find I like Baen titles more often than MacM titles. (Granted, Baen has a more limited stable of authors, but the *QUALITY* shines through for a far higher percentage of their titles!)

Massive revenues generated doesn't make MacM a 'success' if they have to acknowledge that a far higher percentage of their offerings don't 'earn' enough...

Even so, you say you like Baen, I'm a-goin' to accept that as the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

If MacM is such a 'success' then why does it feel it has to gouge more money from it's customers to break even??? Hmmm???

And I'd figure that a 50% increase in ebook prices translates to an automatic 50% increase in authors' royalties on those titles, yes? What's that you say, it doesn't? I'm shocked!

Derek
Old 02-05-2010, 02:41 PM   #42
guyanonymous
Guru

Competition amongst 100 publishing houses would just be so much more positive for the industry (consumer, evolution toward a better business model, the authors, etc) than with just 6 majors.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:45 PM   #43
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Derek my imaginary future childs first drawing of him and his daddy will be worth less than a crumpled £10 note it will be less valuable.

Now to me it will be absolutely amazing and worth more than any money.

when I say Baens books are worth less and less valuable im saying that because they ARE, its not an opinion its a fact, Baen books sell for less than Macmillan books.

Macmillan wabt to protect their profits, they DO (I believe) turn over and make more profit than Baen, that means from a business/shareholder point of view they ARE more succesful.

Whilst I agree it is about money Macmillan pricing their books at $15 tells us that they believe they are worth that(or they want to destroy ebook market ) Baen KNOW their books would not sell as well at $15 and that at $6 they will make more money! AND see an increase in the print books they sell.

Its a GREAT model for Baen! not for Macmillan.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:47 PM   #44
guyanonymous
Guru

How does Baen deal with their pbooks? Are they their own printer? Do they print-on-demand when the orders come in? Do they print and warehouse and then deliver when orders arrive?
Old 02-05-2010, 02:48 PM   #45
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
Derek my imaginary future childs first drawing of him and his daddy will be worth less than a crumpled £10 note it will be less valuable.

Now to me it will be absolutely amazing and worth more than any money.

when I say Baens books are worth less and less valuable im saying that because they ARE, its not an opinion its a fact, Baen books sell for less than Macmillan books.

Macmillan wabt to protect their profits, they DO (I believe) turn over and make more profit than Baen, that means from a business/shareholder point of view they ARE more succesful.

Whilst I agree it is about money Macmillan pricing their books at $15 tells us that they believe they are worth that(or they want to destroy ebook market ) Baen KNOW their books would not sell as well at $15 and that at $6 they will make more money! AND see an increase in the print books they sell.

Its a GREAT model for Baen! not for Macmillan.
No. No. No. No. No!

They are *priced* less - mostly because they are released in mmpb format rather than tpb or hc, although the hc versions are just as pricey as MacM's - but they are *NOT* less 'valuable'. Value is NOT tightly linked to retail price!

Derek