Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-06-2009, 10:36 AM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Amazon removed S/N info from Manage My Kindle page

It's gone. I used to be able to get my Kindle S/N number from my Manage My Kindle page to generate my Kindle PID. As of this morning, that information is no longer visible.

I went to get the S/N for my registered iPod Touch and noticed all the S/N's are gone.

Fortunately there are other ways to get the info but I wanted to give everyone a heads up.

I'll be updating the Visual Kindle Guide today to reflect this change.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:33 AM   #2
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
You are right; it's gone. I just checked and could not find mine. So now we need to write it down somewhere, just in case you lose your Kindle!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2009, 11:49 AM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think they've become aware of the hole for DeDRMing they've opened to iPhone and iPod Touch users and are trying to make getting a PID more difficult.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:50 AM   #4
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I think they've become aware of the hole for DeDRMing they've opened to iPhone and iPod Touch users and are trying to make getting a PID more difficult.

The old DRM cat and mouse game
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:51 AM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
In this case, it's kinda too late.
Advert
Old 03-06-2009, 11:53 AM   #6
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Bet on the mice. Every time.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:31 PM   #7
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
But the SN# can be found on the back on the Kindle, so why delete it from 'My Account'!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:32 PM   #8
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
But the SN# can be found on the back on the Kindle, so why delete it from 'My Account'!
Because they're stupid
Old 03-06-2009, 12:34 PM   #9
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
But how would you get it for the iPhone/touch? The one in iTunes is not the same as the one at Amazon and generates a totally different PID.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:36 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
But how would you get it for the iPhone/touch? The one in iTunes is not the same as the one at Amazon and generates a totally different PID.
Isn't it the regular S/N from the iPhone or Touch? If not, then those who didn't get before Amazon took it down may have some issues.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:38 PM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I don't know. I put of pics of the S/N's on the boxes from K1 and K2 on the Visual Guide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KindleSerialNumbers.jpg
Views:	835
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	25105  
Old 03-06-2009, 12:39 PM   #12
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:
Isn't it the regular S/N from the iPhone or Touch? If not, then those who didn't get before Amazon took it down may have some issues.
It's not. The one at Amazon looked to be at least twice as long as the one generated in iTunes.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:40 PM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
It's not. The one at Amazon looked to be at least twice as long as the one generated in iTunes.
Then they may have closed that hole (until someone figures out how to open it up again).
Old 03-06-2009, 12:46 PM   #14
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Might have been the UDID (Universal Device ID), then. Which is accessible via iTunes, though I forget exactly how at the moment.

EDIT: Here's how.

Last edited by bwaldron; 03-06-2009 at 12:50 PM.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:47 PM   #15
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Then they may have closed that hole (until someone figures out how to open it up again).
Someone will, someone always does

Tags
iphone pid, ipod pid, kindlepid