Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-21-2023, 03:48 PM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Convert AZW3 to CBR/CBZ?

I have a new Pocketbook InkBook Color 3 and would like to try out some comics on it and see what works best. I can covert to ePub or PDF, but what about CBR/CBZ? I do not see any output options or plugins that offer this directly.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 04:46 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
You can try the Kindle Comic Converter ( see the Kindle Comic Converter - Convert comics/manga to MOBI/EPUB thread. I believe that the current version can output optimized CBZ files. You can check ciromattia's GitHub site at Kindle Comic Converter for downloads and help.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2023, 01:43 AM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
You can try the Kindle Comic Converter ( see the Kindle Comic Converter - Convert comics/manga to MOBI/EPUB thread. I believe that the current version can output optimized CBZ files. You can check ciromattia's GitHub site at Kindle Comic Converter for downloads and help.
KCC expects you to start with a stack of images. I don't have that, yet. I have a fixed layout KF8 file. The images in there will not require any optimizing or resizing.

Calibre will convert AZW3 to PDF, or FXL ePub. I would like a CBZ/CBR as well, so I can figure out which works best with PocketBook software.

But it appears there is no calibre/plugin feature to extract the images from the AZW3 file (or ePub etc) and output CBZ from them. It's not difficult to do this manually (e.g. using calibre ebook-edit), so not clear why calibre or some plugin could not do this as well.

I just wanted to verify that I was not missing anything.
Old 12-22-2023, 12:00 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Can you extract the images using the KindleUnpack plugin for calibre and then use KCC?
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 05:01 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Can you extract the images using the KindleUnpack plugin for calibre and then use KCC?
Thanks, KindleUnpack plugin helps with getting a folder with the images quickly.

After setting appropriate options, KCC might be useful, especially for creating CBZ metadata (need to confirm PocketBook supports it).

PB reader would not open the ePub file that KindleUnpack plugin created. Haven't investigated the cause. I assume it is doing something different than what calibre does to convert to ePub.

PB reader UI looks very similar for both CBZ and PDF, but would like to get ePub for comparison as well.

But calibre will not catalog CBZ, unfortunately (AFAICT). That alone may make PDF a better target, and it will also work on Kindle platform (converted to Print Replica).

At any rate, it's fun to have some color on an eInk device.

Last edited by tomsem; 12-24-2023 at 02:15 AM.
Advert
Old 01-11-2024, 01:10 AM   #6
waffle0776
waffle0776 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
Convert it to zip. Then simply rename extension to cbz. Cbz is simply a zip file.
waffle0776 is offline   Reply With Quote