Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 02-28-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
October 2013's *Category* Nominations

The October 2013 category selection will be similar to the other category selections we have done so far for 2013. We'll have one poll after all nominations are in; there will be no run-off poll except in case of a tie. If a second poll also results in a tie, I'll cast my vote as the tie-breaker.

* This thread will be open for 5 days or 30 fully seconded and thirded nominations, whichever comes first.

* The poll will be up for 4 days.

* Three votes or nominations per member.

The story thus far:
Quote:
The 2013 MobileRead Book Club Monthly Categories
  • January: Second Chance No nominations this month. The polls will be comprised of selections that either came in second place or tied for second place during the previous 11 months.
  • February: Romance
  • March: Travel/Adventure
  • April: Classics
  • May: Mystery/Thriller
  • June: Award Winners
  • July: Non-Fiction
  • August: Science Fiction
  • September: Banned or Challenged Books
The 2012 Categories (for reference purposes):

Spoiler:
  • January — RunnerUp (no nominations, a vote of all the runners-up nominations from the last 11 months)
  • February — Romance
  • March — Thriller/Suspense
  • April — Humour
  • May — Fantasy
  • June — Classic
  • July — Mystery/Crime
  • August — FreeForAll
  • September — NonFiction
  • October — Horror
  • November — Science Fiction
  • December — Classic
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Fully Nominated Categories:

(1) Fantasy [Nyssa, fantasyfan, AnemicOak]

(2) Young Adult [Nyssa, fantasyfan, AnemicOak]

(3) Free For All [Nyssa, fantasyfan, JSWolf]

(4) Philosophy [WT Sharpe, sun surfer, jemc]

(5) Biography/Memoir [sun surfer, Billi, Bookpossum]

(6) Humor [Bookpossum, GA Russell, Asawi]

(7) MobileRead Authors [Billi, caleb72, Asawi]

(8) Short Stories [Bookpossum, HomeInMyShoes, issybird]

(9) Horror [caleb72, orlok, WT Sharpe]

(10) P. Clark MobileRead Library [GA Russell, Billi, Dazrin]

(11) Planes, Trains and Automobiles (and boats) [HomeInMyShoes, BelleZora, orlok]

(12) Science [WT Sharpe, Elfwreck, tilia]

(13) Modern Literature [sun surfer, desertblues, John F]

(14) Classics [issybird, Hamlet53, jemc]

(15) Mythology [Hamlet53, desertblues, Mobile Beastdom]

(16) Speculative Fiction [caleb72, orlok, Dazrin]

Nominations:

** Historical Fiction [AnemicOak, GA Russell]

** Writers of the Middle East [desertblues, issybird]

** Lottery V3* [HomeInMyShoes, Dazrin]

* Science Fiction [JSWolf]

* Non-Classics [JSWolf]

* No Pbook Available (ever) [Elfwreck]

* Books Not Originally Written in English [Hamlet53]

* We randomly pick three interested members who each give us three books (so nine in total) to vote on.

Last edited by Nyssa; 03-02-2013 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Updated through Post #83
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2013, 05:59 PM   #3
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I would like to start off the nominations with Fantasy, Free For All, and Young Adult.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:10 PM   #4
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I'll second each one of those:

Fantasy
Free For All
Young Adult
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #5
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I'll nominate:

Humour
Short Stories
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2013, 07:33 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Third Young Adult and Fantasy. Nominate Historical Fiction.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'll 3rd Free-for-All.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #8
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I'll use my first vote to nominate Science, and my second vote to nominate Philosophy.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:14 PM   #9
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Well, we're down to three months left, and I'm rooting for the last three categories being Young Adult, Modern Lit and Biography/Memoir. Since Young Adult is already fully nominated, I'll nominate

Modern Lit
Biography/Memoir

and second Philosophy since if one of those others doesn't make it to a month, Philosophy would be my next choice (but there's a lot of categories I like and wouldn't mind...these are just my "top contenders" now that we're down to the wire).
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:06 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Well, we're down to three months left, and I'm rooting for the last three categories being Young Adult, Modern Lit and Biography/Memoir. Since Young Adult is already fully nominated, I'll nominate

Modern Lit
Biography/Memoir

and second Philosophy since if one of those others doesn't make it to a month, Philosophy would be my next choice (but there's a lot of categories I like and wouldn't mind...these are just my "top contenders" now that we're down to the wire).
I'll give you Young Adult and Modern Lit but I want Free-for-All.

So let's get Free-for-All to win and we can focus on the other two.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:04 PM   #11
jemc
Quietly Lurking...
jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, iDevices, others
Third Philosophy.
jemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:22 PM   #12
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I second Historical Fiction.

I second Humor.

I nominate a P. Clark MobileRead Library title.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:40 AM   #13
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I second
- Biography/Memoir
- MobileRead Library title

and nominate
- MobileRead Authors
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:11 AM   #14
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I third Biography/Memoir.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:41 AM   #15
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Because it's October, I'll nominate Horror.
I'll second MobileRead Authors.

People have already done a job on Philosophy which is my next choice, so I'll let my third nomination hang for the moment.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote