Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-20-2012, 06:23 PM   #31
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
I suspect there is a software switch or function to do it. There could be a way to open it and disable the lights completely.
There is no doubt that the light can be shut off. Mine does it periodically when I open the case. The Kindle wakes up, but the light doesn't come on. Generally closing the cover and re-opening it will get the light to come on. There really ought to be a software option for it.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:31 PM   #32
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
Actually, I accidentally found that I can turn the light off! When I got the PW, I was curious where the Magnetic sensor was located. So I got out a magnet. By playing with the magnet I found that I could periodically turn off the light completely. I have not followed through to see if it can be done with precision but I did do it again yesterday!

The sensor seems to react in the lower right corner and in about inch to 1/2 inch
Edited so that no Censor Censored me for inconsistent sensor/censor spelling!
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2012, 09:44 AM   #33
yayo
Groupie
yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O 1st. gen. Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
There is no doubt that the light can be shut off. Mine does it periodically when I open the case. The Kindle wakes up, but the light doesn't come on. Generally closing the cover and re-opening it will get the light to come on. There really ought to be a software option for it.

And is the PW still paper-white with the leds off or is the screen grey-ish like in previous Kindle models?
yayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:47 AM   #34
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayo View Post
And is the PW still paper-white with the leds off or is the screen grey-ish like in previous Kindle models?
Grey-ish still.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:49 AM   #35
yayo
Groupie
yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O 1st. gen. Libra 2
That could explain why turning leds off completely wasn't implemented in the PW.
yayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2012, 04:40 PM   #36
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
That could explain why turning leds off completely wasn't implemented in the PW.
I do think so, too.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:04 PM   #37
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
It's not pure white, but I found it to be the lightest of all of my Kindle screens so far, and I've owned pretty much every model. I thought it looked great.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:36 PM   #38
xor_
Zealot
xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
FWIW, there are PW reviewers on amazon.com who claim that the light can be turned off entirely in the official firmware:

Quote:
FYI - you can turn the lights off. On the "1-24" scale, there is a small line at the bottom of the scale, separate from the scale itself. Pressing on that line will turn the lights off.
http://www.amazon.com/review/R9X7O4N...res_rtr_alt_75

Can anyone confirm/deny?

(I don't have my device yet, just warming up because I'm expecting my first Kindle Real Soon Now).
xor_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:49 PM   #39
mobilewilier
Connoisseur
mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by xor_ View Post
FWIW, there are PW reviewers on amazon.com who claim that the light can be turned off entirely in the official firmware:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R9X7O4N...res_rtr_alt_75

Can anyone confirm/deny?

(I don't have my device yet, just warming up because I'm expecting my first Kindle Real Soon Now).
That is the negative sign. Holding that sets the lighting to zero value on the scale but the lights are still on albeit dimly.
mobilewilier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:35 PM   #40
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
While it would be nice to completely turn off the light, it's hardly a nuisance to me on its lowest setting.
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:17 PM   #41
mobilewilier
Connoisseur
mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
i agree. i doubt it drains the battery v much on zero setting. there are bigger things to worry about in this world!
mobilewilier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:07 PM   #42
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
My big problem with not being able to turn it off completely is that the bright blotches at the bottom of the screen are still visible and catch my eye even at light setting 0, if I read with my bedside lamp on for example.
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:29 PM   #43
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^ you may have a really bad unit, then. At 0 and with bedside lighting, you should not see any blotches at all. Can you still exchange it?
Old 11-23-2012, 01:31 PM   #44
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm on my 4th PW, they've all had the same problem. This one is the best of a bad bunch
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:02 PM   #45
xendula
eBookworm

Sorry to hear!