Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-27-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
judycsullivan
judycsullivan began at the beginning.

Device: nook and ipad
Question Content Server authentication issue

I have the content server up and running, but cannot get past the user authentication. I've tried setting the fields in Preferences to blank or filled and I still can't get in. Suggestions?

BTW, I have made sure I'm using the correct IP address and the tablet I'm using also has access to my at home network (same as the laptop that has Calibre). I did have to change "8080" to "80" in the Preferences to even get to the authentication screen. Prior to that, it simply timed out.

Thanks!!!
Judy
judycsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:38 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by judycsullivan View Post
I have the content server up and running, but cannot get past the user authentication. I've tried setting the fields in Preferences to blank or filled and I still can't get in. Suggestions?

BTW, I have made sure I'm using the correct IP address and the tablet I'm using also has access to my at home network (same as the laptop that has Calibre). I did have to change "8080" to "80" in the Preferences to even get to the authentication screen. Prior to that, it simply timed out.

Thanks!!!
Judy
Please state Models and O/S for Laptop and Tablet:

Please define 'Access' to home network.

Note the Warning (in red) next to the content server Password configuration box
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2012, 10:13 PM   #3
judycsullivan

more info on authentication issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Please state Models and O/S for Laptop and Tablet:

Please define 'Access' to home network.

Note the Warning (in red) next to the content server Password configuration box
Laptop is operating on Windows 7 (Asus eepc).
One tablet (nook) is operating on Android platform, using Moon Reader & standard browser to try to access.
Other tablet is iPad. Same issue.
Also receive same problem when accessing via same laptop through Firefox. (wanted to "test" it without the "test" button)

No warnings next to the content server password config box.

The sign in box just keeps popping back up - errors. I do note that it is asking me to sign in to "netvanta 3200". No clue what that is. I am assuming that's important. My first thought was that this had something to do with my ISP, but they insist it is not them.

Thanks
Judy
Old 02-27-2012, 11:16 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
It sounds to me that you are not actually connecting to the system you think you are connecting to in this case? I cannot see any other reason why you should be prompted for a system whose name you do not recognise.

It is not clear from your description whether all systems are on the same home network, or whether you are trying something more complicated such as connecting from the public Internet to your home system.

My suggestion wold be that you give us an idea of the names (and ideally IP addresses) of the system running the Content Server that you are trying to use and the URL's you are trying to use from the client end. Without that w are just guessing at your network topology.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:16 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Laptop is operating on Windows 7 (Asus eepc).
One tablet (nook) is operating on Android platform, using Moon Reader & standard browser to try to access.
Other tablet is iPad. Same issue.
Also receive same problem when accessing via same laptop through Firefox. (wanted to "test" it without the "test" button)

No warnings next to the content server password config box.

The sign in box just keeps popping back up - errors. I do note that it is asking me to sign in to "netvanta 3200". No clue what that is. I am assuming that's important. My first thought was that this had something to do with my ISP, but they insist it is not them.

Thanks
Judy
No Red warning indicates an OLD version of Calibre (8.41 is current).
Android does not play nice with the CS password and you are advised not to set one.

if you type the CS assigned IP (eg. 192.168.0.12:8080) in the address bar of Firefox (on your local network), you should see Calibre CS
Advert
Old 02-28-2012, 08:44 AM   #6
judycsullivan

thanks guys

I will try to update Calibre (didn't realize I was behind) and remove the pw. didn't really want one anyway.

Will also try to id the system that is coming up asking for the pw. I will visit the ip you gave me too. IF things are still crazy, I'll repost. THANK YOU

Judy
Old 02-28-2012, 09:28 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
I will try to update Calibre (didn't realize I was behind) and remove the pw. didn't really want one anyway.

Will also try to id the system that is coming up asking for the pw. I will visit the ip you gave me too. IF things are still crazy, I'll repost. THANK YOU

Judy
That IP is for my desktop inside my House and is NOT assessable from without.

192 (or 172 or 10) Series IP are "Private", and non-routable.

You must use the Public (WAN side) IP to get to your Router from the outside world. THEN you must set your router to forward a specific port (8080 in this case) to the IP of your machine (probably a 192 series).
Only local (to YOUR LAN) systems may use private IP's for access.
BTW 127 is Private to your Machine (what is used for the test button)