Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-17-2011, 06:41 PM   #1
StickMaker
Connoisseur
StickMaker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
deleting a book

Hello; I hope I'm posting this in the correct place. I have the Kindle 3, WIFI. When I am finished reading a book, to delete that book, I have to return to "Home" and find that book in the many pages of titles, and then left-click the button to "remove title from device." Sometimes, by then, I've forgotten the title of that book. Is there no quick and easy way to delete the book when I am on the last page of that book, and not have to return to the main Home list of my many books and find it first?
StickMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:58 PM   #2
cfo
Connoisseur
cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KSO, iPhone4
Without a computer, I don't know of any other deletion method other than going Home.

For me, the book that I most recently opened appears first in the list (after all of my folders/collections) so it is not difficult to find. I have my list organized "By Collections."

If you have your list arranged "By Collections" or "Most Recent First," then the book that you just finished reading and most recently opened would be the first book in the list.
cfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2011, 07:18 PM   #3
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Agree that sorting by most recent is best, particularly if you have more than one book going at a time.

However, if you note the name of the book, and go to the Home screen, and type the first letter of the title, it will take you to the first book title that starts with that letter, saving you from paging through lots of pages to get to books starting with that letter.

You can type an entire word and that will work as well, but it will search all of your books for instances of that word, and thus take longer.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:07 PM   #4
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 3 3G + WI-FI
The back button should take you back to the title of the book. Then just left click to delete.
BrowseTheStacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:24 PM   #5
StickMaker
Connoisseur
StickMaker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks to all of you for those good suggestions!
StickMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2011, 12:01 AM   #6
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipA82 View Post
Why delete it if disk space is not a problem..? I have like 50 books on my Kindle and I never deleted one..
I have several hundred books on my Kindle, and delete every book I finish. I only keep books to-be-read on my Kindle.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:30 AM   #7
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool huh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I have several hundred books on my Kindle, and delete every book I finish. I only keep books to-be-read on my Kindle.
do you never re-read a book? some folks do. did you used to toss paper books when you'd read them [once]? some folks wouldn't do that.

i'm not criticizing your habits, rather i'm pointing out reasons for an alternate approach to the approach that you use that might be satisfying to someone else.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:11 PM   #8
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
do you never re-read a book? some folks do. ...
Yes, and that's why I keep a copy of my library on my PC and in its backups. I'll reload it when I want to reread it. Based on my history, by the time I decide to reread the book I'm reading today my current K3 will be long extinct. In the roughly 20 years I've been reading ebooks, I've never reread an ebook during the lifetime of the device I read it on originally.

OP: The trick is to use a method of finding the title easily. Several have been suggested (using "Most Recent" sorting, searching by first letter in title, ...).

My pet method is to always add the ebook to a "Current Reads" collection when I begin the book. Then its easy to find in the short list in that collection (I often have 3-5 books "open" at a time, all listed in "Current Reads").

Also, using the Back button will jump back to the previous display. If you've done nothing but read through a book without interruption, other than to set bookmarks, using Back will return you to the page from which you selected the book (note that the book may not be listed there if you are displaying the list by "Most Recent" as it will now may be on another page). If you get in the habit of using the right arrow button on the 5-way when selecting the book from the Home screen and viewing the book details before selecting "Go to Beginning" from that screen, the Back button will return you to that details screen giving quick access to the Delete option. If Back doesn't return you there on the first press, press it again. The Kindle maintains a short history list for use by the Back button much like a web browser.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 01:48 PM   #9
pidgeon92
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
do you never re-read a book? some folks do. did you used to toss paper books when you'd read them [once]? some folks wouldn't do that.

i'm not criticizing your habits, rather i'm pointing out reasons for an alternate approach to the approach that you use that might be satisfying to someone else.
I didn't say I got rid of my ebooks. I merely delete them from my Kindle (and other ereaders) after reading them, so only unread books are on the readers.

I re-read on occasion. I keep copies of all of my ebooks in Calibre.

I still owned pretty much all of my paper books (even many of the books I had as a child) until I got my first Kindle in 2008. Then I took almost my entire collection of books to the local library and donated them for the library to sell in their bookstore. I sold a few on half.com as well.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:40 PM   #10
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Same here. There's only a few books that I keep on the Kindle at all times.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote