Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-21-2011, 10:43 AM   #1
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
2 Kindles 1 Amazon Account

My wife and kids got me a Kindle 3 for Father's day. My wife would like my old Kindle 2. We want to share the same books and obviously wants the Kindle 2 to be called "her name's Kindle."

How do I do this?
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:44 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just register both Kindles to the same Amazon account. You can call them whatever you want.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2011, 11:03 AM   #3
emalvick
Groupie
emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle 3
Harry has it right....

My wife and have our Kindle 3's on the same account. I suggest going through the process of turning whispersync off (through "Managing Your Devices") if you and your wife planning on reading the same books. The last thing you want is to sit down to read a book and find it is on the page your wife is on rather than the one you are on, or to have your wife in a bad mood because she is on the wrong page .
emalvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Just register both Kindles to the same Amazon account. You can call them whatever you want.
Agreed. I simply renamed the older Kindle to reflect the new owner, but left them both on the same account. We rarely read the exact same book at the same time, so haven't had an issue with location. So we leave WhisperSync on, but mostly have our wireless off on the devices anyway, so we haven't yet had an isssue. Except that the second person to start reading the book ends up opening it up on the location that the first person last read to. Just GoTo the Beginning, and it won't be a problem again.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:18 PM   #5
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by emalvick View Post
Harry has it right....

My wife and have our Kindle 3's on the same account. I suggest going through the process of turning whispersync off (through "Managing Your Devices") if you and your wife planning on reading the same books. The last thing you want is to sit down to read a book and find it is on the page your wife is on rather than the one you are on, or to have your wife in a bad mood because she is on the wrong page .
Something like this would really tick me off. And, presumably, my ladywife would probably freak out wondering when she read so much more of her book!
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2011, 07:00 AM   #6
Mixx
Zealot
Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Reverse: 2 accounts, 1 Kindle

Is this reverse situation possible, too? That would let me use books my friends would send me via their account in foreign languages (because there is no "send as a gift" outside the US).

I did not dare let them register my Kindle for the fear that it gets de-registered automatically from my account.

Thanxx, Mixx
Mixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:58 AM   #7
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I didn't realize you can buy 1 book, and share it on 2 Kindles, at the same time?.........are you sure about this? What would prevent someone from sharing 1 book, on say, 100 Kindles? The author and Amazon might not like this, no?

Last edited by markdek; 06-22-2011 at 08:14 AM.
markdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:46 AM   #8
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdek View Post
I didn't realize you can buy 1 book, and share it on 2 Kindles, at the same time?.........are you sure about this? What would prevent someone from sharing 1 book, on say, 100 Kindles? The author and Amazon might not like this, no?
That is the whole point of whispersynch, to allow you to read the same Amazon title on two or more Kindles (I think the limit per account is 6). I would assume that Amazon negotiated this with the publishers. It is not that odd, there are a number or music sources that allow multiple devices.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:03 AM   #9
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdek View Post
I didn't realize you can buy 1 book, and share it on 2 Kindles, at the same time?.........are you sure about this? What would prevent someone from sharing 1 book, on say, 100 Kindles?
But the Kindles have to be registered to the same account, so it's not exactly a free-for-all. Also, the publisher can impose a limit on the number of devices per account that can simultaneously access the book. The number is usually six. (And "devices" in this context includes PCs or Macs with the Kindle software installed.)
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:57 AM   #10
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixx View Post
Is this reverse situation possible, too? That would let me use books my friends would send me via their account in foreign languages (because there is no "send as a gift" outside the US).

I did not dare let them register my Kindle for the fear that it gets de-registered automatically from my account.

Thanxx, Mixx
No, that is not possible.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:12 AM   #11
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Gotcha everyone...thxs. Makes sense.
markdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:34 AM   #12
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the help, worked great.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:34 PM   #13
ucfgrad93
Wizard

Thanks, I am.