Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-13-2015, 05:53 PM   #1
openroad
openroad began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD
Overdrive functionality (Nook HD)

Hi, this really belongs in more of an Overdrive support forum but it doesn't seem like there is one.

I have been using Overdrive off and on for a year now, for library books only. I find it pretty annoying, and am wondering if there's something in the settings that I've missed.

1) Inability to skip forward, the way you can with the included Reader app. Once in a while Overdrive loses my last place and if it's a chapterless book, I actually have to swipe through one page at a time to say, page 308 to re-discover my spot. I like that the Reader app gives two options to either random flip to a different part of the book, or type in an exact page to jump to.
2) Inability to go BACK to wherever you were if you clicked on a link (for example, to a footnote) that jumps you forward in the book.

Apropos for today, it's pretty frustrating to read a footnote-packed, chapterless Terry Pratchett book through Overdrive. I'm not saying the Reader app is perfect either, just wondering if there's any option--can you check out library books in Overdrive and read in another app? Or am I missing something about Overdrive settings?
openroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:43 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Assuming you live in the United States... have you tried checking it out as a Kindle book?

Alternatively, there are several apps which support the Adobe DRM scheme, any of them can read the book as long as you use the same Adobe ID... but getting it into the app will be awkward, I am not sure which ones support downloading the book via the .acsm rights file, if any. You'd have to download the book on your computer and sideload it.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:16 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I would think the native reading app on the nook HD would work with Overdrive ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:20 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would think the native reading app on the nook HD would work with Overdrive ePub.
It should if the book is sideloaded. Not sure if the Nook can download directly using the .acsm

EDIT: Just tried downloading a .acsm directly on my HD+ and it will not open the file to download the book. Sideloading with ADE should work though.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 03-18-2015 at 10:26 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:22 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
It should if the book is sideloaded. Not sure if the Nook can download directly using the .acsm
If the OP doesn;t mind side loading, then I would go with the built in reading app. Just make sure it's registered to the same account as ADE.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:31 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Hmmm, apparently Aldiko supports direct .acsm downloads???
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:33 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Hmmm, apparently Aldiko supports direct .acsm downloads???
I know it used to. Haven't used it in a couple years so don't know if anything has changed.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:46 PM   #8
Kaysclie
Addict
Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, Aura One,Ipad Pro 10.5, Oasis 3
For me the easiest way is to download the book as a kindle ebook. Since the op has a nook hd, that probably has the kindle app. So the book can easily be read with that. I do that with most of my library books on my nook HD+. Much easier than dealing with overdrive. Much!
Kaysclie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:31 AM   #9
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by openroad View Post
I'm not saying the Reader app is perfect either, just wondering if there's any option--can you check out library books in Overdrive and read in another app? Or am I missing something about Overdrive settings?
Mantano, Bluefire and Aldiko each claim to open .acsm files without needing a PC.

I just tried it with Mantano and got it to work. I registered my Adobe ID in Mantano and then downloaded a .acsm file from Overdrive. I couldn't get the browser to open it with Mantano, but when I saved the file and opened it using ES File Manager, it let me pick Mantano to open the file. Mantano then downloaded the book without a problem.

It's now in my bookshelf list. I can read it and if I long-press on the book, I'm offered the option to return it.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:33 AM   #10
openroad
openroad began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD
Sorry for the delay in response. I haven't tried the other options yet (since I really prefer the ease of checking books out in Overdrive and would like to be able to just read in the same app as well). BUT I recently got my first iPhone and discovered that the iOS version of Overdrive does exactly what I want it to do. You can scroll through pages AND you can jump forward to links (as in a travel guidebook) or to footnotes, and jump back again (as long as you haven't continued on further after jumping forward). I updated my Android Overdrive app to the newest version and it's still not doing any of these things. Incredibly frustrating.
openroad is offline   Reply With Quote