Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-06-2010, 01:42 PM   #31
ebookrights
Banned
ebookrights began at the beginning.

Device: none
Ooops... I stand corrected... The Android app works now (outside US)... Still finding a way to add public domain books to my Google account through...
ebookrights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:46 PM   #32
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
But that is exactly my point - convenient. Putting restrictions on the buyer is about as far from convenient as it gets.

How is it more convenient to let Google keep the only viewable copy of the book.

If I buy that Stieg Larsson book from Google I pay nearly $10 and I can read it when I can fire up a browser (not on airplanes, not at the lake beach I go to, not sitting in my Mom Mobile outside the school waiting for my kid's practice, not on my commute into work...)

Or I can go to Amazon, Barnes etc etc etc and pay the same $10 (actually I believe much less but let's pretend) and download a copy to my reading device. Then I can read it EVERYWHERE, whether I have internet or not.

That's why this thing isn't working for me. It would be one thing if Google had a dramatically lower price for the book, but they don't.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:48 PM   #33
OrcaBlue
Groupie
OrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
Here is the link to list of free ebooks on Google's ebookstore.

http://books.google.com/ebooks?hl=en..._webstore_home
OrcaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:49 PM   #34
ebookrights
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaBlue View Post
Here is the link to list of free ebooks on Google's ebookstore.

http://books.google.com/ebooks?hl=en..._webstore_home
Thanks, just figured that out... Still kind of quirky through... Not all public domain books are listed there... For once I have to click Charles Dickens' name to search for some books he's written.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:51 PM   #35
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I'm completely confused. I found a book I want that is not available elsewhere [Phantom Lady by William Irish (Cornell Woolrich)] as an e-book. There's a notation that it's "Better for larger screens." There's a sample. There's a "Buy Now" button. If I click it, I go to the Google checkout.

But ... what am I buying?

When I looked at the free book section, it seemed to be straightforward enough, with a choice to download epub or pdf. But here, am I just buying online access?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:51 PM   #36
ebookrights
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
That's why this thing isn't working for me. It would be one thing if Google had a dramatically lower price for the book, but they don't.
I agree, but only some books are "non-downloadable", not all.

I don't think the chance is rare that I'll buy an ebook that I can't download and keep a copy myself on my PC or whatever storage medium of my choice either.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:52 PM   #37
ebookrights
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I'm completely confused. I found a book I want that is not available elsewhere [Phantom Lady by William Irish (Cornell Woolrich)] as an e-book. There's a notation that it's "Better for larger screens." There's a sample. There's a "Buy Now" button. If I click it, I go to the Google checkout.

But ... what am I buying?

When I looked at the free book section, it seemed to be straightforward enough, with a choice to download epub or pdf. But here, am I just buying online access?
See this post

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...91&postcount=9
Old 12-06-2010, 01:52 PM   #38
Trini
Connoisseur
Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebookrights View Post
I wish so as well, but I read that non-US access is at least into (early-)2011.
I don't mind if only US residents are able to actually purchase books. I can accept that given the silly restrictions placed on sellers by publishers. But I can't even browse the paid section. I can only access the new books by clicking on the pictures of the 5 books under the NY times bestselling link. Other than that nothing. All I'm seeing when I try browsing are the free books.

I can't understand why they would restrict browsing. If that is what is what I'm actually experiencing. Wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt for now. Maybe it some teething problems I'm getting at work here..........
Trini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:56 PM   #39
ebookrights
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trini View Post
I don't mind if only US residents are able to actually purchase books. I can accept that given the silly restrictions placed on sellers by publishers. But I can't even browse the paid section. I can only access the new books by clicking on the pictures of the 5 books under the NY times bestselling link. Other than that nothing. All I'm seeing when I try browsing are the free books.

I can't understand why they would restrict browsing. If that is what is what I'm actually experiencing. Wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt for now. Maybe it some teething problems I'm getting at work here..........
I got the same experience as you. Hopefully Google will change that.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:01 PM   #40
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I'm fascinated by their total bypass of the HUGE CLASS-ACTION LAWSUIT hanging over their heads... we've settled that lawsuit ... It will take some time for this agreement to be approved and finalized by the Court. No mention that the US Department of Justice said the court lacks the authority to approve it.

"Hey guys! We don't know if it's legal to sell these books yet, but BUY SOMETHING NOW! If we sell enough books first, they'll *have* to approve the settlement, right?"
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:11 PM   #41
ebookrights
Banned

Quote:
When this agreement is approved, every out-of-print book that we digitize will become available online for preview and purchase, unless its author or publisher chooses to "turn off" that title.
AFAIK the agreement isn't approved, yet. So if you find any books that should not appear yet appearing on the store NOW, please report back.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:28 PM   #42
OrcaBlue
Groupie
OrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
It's hard to make a living these days. For a moment, Amazon thoughts its business strategy was set, then PAM!!! Here's Google coming to its core business.
OrcaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:28 PM   #43
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebookrights View Post
AFAIK the agreement isn't approved, yet. So if you find any books that should not appear yet appearing on the store, please report back.
The agreement's been approved by the ASA; the court hasn't signed off, and some fairly substantial papers have been filed against it, including one from the US DoJ. Google's attempt to convert "everything we scanned for search purposes" into saleable ebooks, minus whatever tiny handful get specific opt-outs from the copyright owners, may not work at all.

The settlement turns copyright law on its head, changing it from "grant permission to copy/sell to whomever you like" to "you must let a company know if you don't want them to sell your works." If it's accepted the legal precedent would be tremendous... would potentially allow any company to start selling ebooks, with a nice disclaimer of "we'll remove any that the authors ask us not to carry."

How would we know if there are "books that should not appear?" (FWIW, I don't see any books that I know aren't available elsewhere as ebooks, like Harry Potter or Farenheit 541.)

The listings are just baffling. I see covers from one year & publisher, with a later publication date and different publisher, and prices are all over the place.

IDIC Epidemic, a Star Trek novel by Jean Lorrah... cover is from the 1988 Pocket Books edition (so I suspect is not included in purchase); Googlebook listing says published by Simon & Schuster 2000; copyright page inside says © 1990 Paramount Pictures.

(What, exactly, did S&S copyright in 2000? Their layout--which isn't used in the digital version, which has line breaks between paragraphs? A new cover that we don't see here?)

I'd be more sympathetic to claims of "theft" for filesharing if publishers and retailers weren't collaborating in "fraud" by giving conflicting & inaccurate info to customers.

I'm unwilling to click "buy now;" I have no idea what I'd be purchasing, and can't find any info about that.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:34 PM   #44
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Oh, Amazon has known for years that Google has been lurking around with this idea. Its not news. Well I at least assume they knew it since I knew it with no research other than reading Yahoo news every morning.

Where does the warning about a book being not downloadable come into play because I would like to test a book but I don't want one that I can't download.

Also, does the email that I used to set-up Adobe Digital Editions have to be the same as my Google account, because it isn't.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:40 PM   #45
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
I'm a fan of Google but they're not offering anything particularly compelling for my Nook and Kindle.

Prices don't seem much better. . .

I'll stick to buying books for my Kindle through Amazon and books for my Nook through B&N. I'll remove the DRM from each so that I can convert to the other format.

Perhaps Google is a good source for public domain books?
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook, google