Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-22-2010, 09:31 AM   #1
jcarson
jcarson has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle
K4PC Question

Hope this is appropriate here. I've got a Kindle to use at home and have downloaded K4PC to read while on lunch at work.

Right now my K4PC is showing that it's version 1.2.1 version. On Amazon's K4PC page, it shows that I can use a dictionary to look up definitions. I've tried sending my Oxford American Dictionary to my app, but keep getting the error message "We were unable to download The Oxford American Dictionary. Please try again later."

I guess what I want to know is if I have the latest version/update. If not, how do I update it? If so, do I keep trying to download the dictionary? It makes sense that I need it to look up a word. Right now, when I highlight a word, I don't even see an option to look it up. It's not grayed out, it's just not there.

jcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:51 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I am using version 1.3.0. The Oxford American was automatically downloaded by K4PC, but it took a few minutes to kick in.

I think all you need to do is go to the K4PC page and click download now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K4PC_dict.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	61633  

Last edited by wallcraft; 11-22-2010 at 01:54 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:58 PM   #3
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
I think maybe you need to download again, jcarson. I was using version 1.2.0 and had the option selected for K4PC to update automatically when new versions come out, but it hadn't updated, so I just downloaded it again from http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000426311 and when I installed that, turned out to be version 1.3.0 with dictionary lookup. It appears not to be optional which dictionary to use, though I might be wrong there, but I can't find any option to replace the supplied dictionary with an alternative (comes with the New Oxford American Dictionary - first time you highlight a word inside a book after installing the new version, it downloads the dictionary from somewhere on Amazon's servers).

Hope that helps.

- Donna
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:01 PM   #4
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSmillie View Post
I think maybe you need to download again, jcarson. I was using version 1.2.0 and had the option selected for K4PC to update automatically when new versions come out, but it hadn't updated
I had to redownload as well even though like you, the update automatically option was enabled. I don't know what the schedule is for update checking.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote