Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #1
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Anyone having SD card problems?

I just tried two different cards in my Aura. The 4GB card asks me to format it FAT32 and try again. It already was FAT32, but I went ahead and did a quick format and got the same message. I then did a full format and still get the same message. The 8GB SanDisk card I tried isn't recognized at all. These cards work fine in the other devices I've used them in.

Anyone have any ideas? Wondering if this an issue with my device or something wider spread.

EDIT: Just tried the 16GB card out of my old Galaxy S phone and with that one it wants me to format too.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 05-10-2013 at 06:45 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Write protect tab on?

SD card fully inserted?

Have you tried a power off / power on sequence?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Write protect tab on?

SD card fully inserted?

Have you tried a power off / power on sequence?
There's a write protect tab on microSD's? (I was able to copy content onto them before putting into the reader)

Yes, inserted until it clicks and locks in place.

Power off then insert card then power on give the same results as mentioned above.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:14 AM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
There's a write protect tab on microSD's? (I was able to copy content onto them before putting into the reader)

Yes, inserted until it clicks and locks in place.

Power off then insert card then power on give the same results as mentioned above.
You might want to check the SD Card Association formatter. They now have version 4.0 available.

https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter/

It has fixed some issues with SD cards for others. I would recommend formatting the card outside the Kobo. Use a SD Card/USB adapter or card reader instead.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:43 AM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Thank you David, that seems to have worked. I formatted both my 4GB and 8GB cards with it and they both now work in my Aura.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:48 AM   #6
SHunter101
Connoisseur
SHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel is

Device: Kobo AuraH2O, Glo, AuraHD, JBC2
Unhappy 12 minute boot time on AuraHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I just tried two different cards in my Aura. The 4GB card asks me to format it FAT32 and try again. It already was FAT32, but I went ahead and did a quick format and got the same message. I then did a full format and still get the same message. The 8GB SanDisk card I tried isn't recognized at all. These cards work fine in the other devices I've used them in.
You think you have problems. Try a 12 minute boot!! Yes, it takes my AuraHD (2 of them actually) 12 minutes to boot from a power off state. I am using a microSD card (various ones; Transcend 32 gig seems to be the best) with a lot of books (2800 books, most of these are reference books, I'm a scientist). The long boot times are crazy. I have the exact same "library on the KoboGlo and the PRS-950 and they both have a fast boot (couple of minutes). I had a feeling there was an issue, so I bought a second AuraHD (will return the first one) and this one, although indexed the library faster than the first AuraHD, has the same long 12 minute boot time. Any help would be appreciated. For now, I use sleep mode, but this drains the battery too fast.

Thanks,
SHunter101
SHunter101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:57 PM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Shunter101--I am not a techie, and I have pointed your post to someone who is, but my experience that comes closest to this is when there is are books that Kobo can't process. The device tries and tries burning through huge amounts of time before giving up. The next time the device turns on it tries again.

I think I used microsoft debugger to see what book was causing my problem. I honestly don't remember. The only other way I know is to split the books in half and see if the first or second half loads like it should, and then use ever smaller % of the library to narrow it down to "the one".
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:03 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@Shunter101: As taming said, it could be books on the card that can't be processed properly. But, it might be how many books you have on the card.

Try taking the card out, restarting and seeing how long it takes. If it still takes 12 minutes, it is a problem with the device.

If it starts quickly, put the card in and see how long it takes to process the card. There are two steps in this. Firstly it sees the card and checks the state of the books against the internal database. Then it displays the black processing screen while adding new books to the database. The question is how long do each of these take? And, does the processing screen display at all.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:10 AM   #9
geormes
Groupie
geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Kobo Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura
I tried the working sd card from my Kobo Touch and it caused the Aura to freeze. Not just once but everytime I tried it. Only a reset from a paper clip brought it back. If the card was still in it would freeze again. It worked in my Touch and in my wife's Nook Simple Touch.

I bought a new card, formatted it, and in worked fine in the Aura. I suppose there could be something on the card the Aura objects to.

I thought about moving the files from the old sd to the new sd, but decided it wasn't worth the effort as I wanted to start reading on my new Aura.
geormes is offline   Reply With Quote