Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-06-2010, 11:19 AM   #31
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzz View Post
This thread helped me get set up with calibre's content server and my kindle. It worked for me.
Thanks! I'm still having trouble getting past my home ISP router. I can see the calibre index and download using a private IP - 192.168.etc -- and using port 8787 which is forwarded in the router. But I can't get there with a public IP. I'll keep trying, as the spirit moves.

For my purposes, the dropbox solution is good enough ... if I can figure out how to deliver the files on the Kindle.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:15 AM   #32
LesleyO
Voracious Reader
LesleyO began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hmmm — I'm in Canada and have 2.5 and have been able to get some websites via Wikipedia, but haven't tried direct access to the Internet. Will try it tonight. I've had my DXi for a few months, so if it doesn't work, I might try the re-registration trick.
LesleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2010, 10:11 AM   #33
Jzz
Jzz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
...I can see the calibre index and download using a private IP - 192.168.etc -- and using port 8787 which is forwarded in the router. But I can't get there with a public IP...
Any luck?

Did you download the portforwarding software in addition to opening up 8787 on the router? It will redirect port 443 (the exception when it comes to specifying ports with the Kindle browser) to port 8787.

If so, I was having trouble until I entered 127.0.0.1 in the 'Destination' field instead of my public IP.
Jzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:49 PM   #34
Urbs
Urbs began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, HTC Hero
Regarding th OP; I have a Kindle 2 International, live in Norway and can access the web freely. I've tried BBC News Mobile, VG.no (local news), neogaf.com and some other mobile web sites. All works, although pretty slow due to the kindle.

I thought international web access from the K2i was limited to Wiki and Kindle Store?

Edit - first post, yay! :-)
Edit2 - got a notice from Amazon stating that extra cost would be applied for downloads internationally, but not for use of the experimental browser.

Last edited by Urbs; 06-08-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Urbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:22 AM   #35
Snapply
Connoisseur
Snapply began at the beginning.

Device: Amazozn Kindlezz
yes! IN CANADA TOO, I LOVE AMAZON MORE THAN MY BIRTH PARENTS!
Snapply is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2010, 01:42 AM   #36
Ruofeng
Ruofeng began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
I am in China and have neither update nor full internet...
Ruofeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:45 AM   #37
katzenstreik
Winged Ape
katzenstreik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.katzenstreik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.katzenstreik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2i
Until five minutes ago no internet with 2.3.4 now full access with 2.5.2 on K2i in Germany! I hope it stays free...
katzenstreik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:32 AM   #38
Bikemike
Connoisseur
Bikemike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Bikemike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Bikemike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Bikemike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Bikemike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
I make it too. 2.3.3 - 2.3.4 - 2.5.2. No problems with the update procedure. At 90 % of the procedure it stops for two minutes - no panic.
It works very fine i think, no problems.
Free internet access in Germany.
Thanks to all guys - and to amazon

Mike
Bikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:12 AM   #39
ssag
ssag began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
Free internet access in Austria with 2.5.2 :-)
ssag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:10 AM   #40
djgreedo
Addict
djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, HP Touchpad (Android), Samsung Omnia 7
Internet seems to work in Australia, though Internet on the Kindle is a painful experience that I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy. Even my phone gives a 10 times better Internet experience.
djgreedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:00 PM   #41
finn
finn began at the beginning.

Device: iriver story HD, kindle 2
In Australia, 2.52 with 'full internet'.... mainly the coolness is in being able to access wikitravel.com anywhere you happen to be. It is quite slow when there is lots of graphics on the pages, but hey, it's like a little 'hitchhikers guide to the Earth' now.
finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:07 PM   #42
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I *still* don't have full internet. And no update either. Amazon doesn't love me.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:26 AM   #43
LesleyO
Voracious Reader
LesleyO began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
And yes, I can access most of the Internet -- so it's a nice temp replacement when I'm out and about without my laptop, although slow of course! But even being able to get to Wiki and Google is great, to answer questions. And I can now use the Sudoku book I bought when I first got my Kindle....
LesleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:45 AM   #44
mikee2185
mikee2185 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
I have full internet in Czech Republic, both 2.3* and 2.5.2 (kindle bought at 20.5.2010).
It uses Vodafone CZ network (at least in Prague)

Althou original fonts still does not support CZ characters ^^
mikee2185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:36 AM   #45
marco.morreale
marco.morreale began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
On may I updated to 2.5.3 and got full internet access.
Then I realized my Kindle was damaged: the "u" key did not work.
I had a replacement from Amazon. When I got the new Kindle (Version 2.3) I updated to 2.5.2 but I had web browsing restrictions.
Then I updated to 2.5.3 but still have those restrictions!
All this is very annoying. I cannot spend all this time sitting my ereader.
M
marco.morreale is offline   Reply With Quote