Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-01-2009, 03:53 PM   #1
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Sort by date - not working right

Since I got my Reader back from Sony after a broken substrate, the "sort by date" on the Reader doesn't work.

Well, it sort-of works. The ebooks are all there, in reverse-added order. But they're all showing up under *today*, regardless of the actual date. (It lists the date. But they're all listed under the 1st tab number.) See attached image.

Anyone know what causes this, or how to fix it? If it turns out not to be fixable, I won't worry; it's a nuisance, but not a major hassle.

Background techie info:
I haven't used the Sony Library since I got my Reader back from them; it's on the computer that's currently down. It's not on my laptop. I can't easily re-download it; I have dialup internet at home. (I downloaded it from work before, and brought it home on a flash drive. However, either work changed its internet permissions or Sony changed it's download method; now when I try to download, I get a 10kb mini-program that won't run. I suspect work has disabled some .exe downloads.)

If I must, I'll set aside a couple of hours to re-download it (I remember it being somewhat more than 20mb?) to install on the laptop. I'd rather not, though.

Have not re-installed firmware, either. Have same problem with trying to download it. (Not sure how I can tell what version of firmware my Reader is running.) Can't download from work, but I remember the firmware being nonpainful to download from home.

Haven't installed the PRC Customizer. I'm considering it because it's got some features I'd like, but I'm nervous about doing it on top of not-quite-working firmware.

Have installed books through Calibre. Mostly, I use Windows to install/uninstall ebooks with drag-and-drop.

I have Windows XP on three different computers (home, work, laptop). Not sure if that matters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SortByDate.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	31507  
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:05 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Well, it sort-of works. The ebooks are all there, in reverse-added order. But they're all showing up under *today*, regardless of the actual date. (It lists the date. But they're all listed under the 1st tab number.) See attached image.
If you put all the books on your device "today" then it sounds right to me.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2009, 04:36 PM   #3
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
If you put all the books on your device "today" then it sounds right to me.

BOb
Nope; got stuff going back months. It's just not sorting them into the non-today date settings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SortByDate-2.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	31508  
Old 07-01-2009, 05:30 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Nope; got stuff going back months. It's just not sorting them into the non-today date settings.
Ermm... ok.. I read "got back" as "got back today" so I assumed they all had todays date on em.

Have you tried a hard reboot of the reader?

BOb
Old 07-01-2009, 05:39 PM   #5
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer

Sorry I wasn't more clear. I got it back a while ago; the sort-by-date hasn't worked since.

Haven't tried a hard reboot. Is that (1) safe and (2) easy? I won't lose any ebooks? (I'd like to not lose my page settings, but admit that it wouldn't be a disaster if I did.)

Does that involve a paperclip and the little spot on the back of the Reader?
Advert
Old 07-01-2009, 05:41 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Sorry I wasn't more clear. I got it back a while ago; the sort-by-date hasn't worked since.

Haven't tried a hard reboot. Is that (1) safe and (2) easy? I won't lose any ebooks? (I'd like to not lose my page settings, but admit that it wouldn't be a disaster if I did.)

Does that involve a paperclip and the little spot on the back of the Reader?
Yes, paperclip in the hole in the back, then flip the "on/standby" switch. That will reset it. You shouldn't loose any data.

BOb
Old 07-01-2009, 05:45 PM   #7
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer

Nope; didn't work.

I'd like to imagine that connecting it to the Sony Library will fix something, but I can't imagine how that would work.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:48 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Nope; didn't work.

I'd like to imagine that connecting it to the Sony Library will fix something, but I can't imagine how that would work.
You might want to look to see if the change dates / created dates are the same? I'm not sure which it looks at.

BOb
Old 07-01-2009, 07:18 PM   #9
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Only thing I can think of...is the system date on your reader correct? (Under settings) If it's incorrect--maybe reporting a date sometime in the past, maybe the reader is just defaulting to displaying all the titles as being added today.

Hope you get it sorted!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:43 PM   #10
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer

Date was set to May 2007 (??): I've fixed it, but that doesn't seem to automatically re-set the books. But I'll check tomorrow, and see if all of "today's" books become "yesterday's" books.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:03 PM   #11
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer

Is fixed! Apparently, the internal date's being reset scrambled it, and the ebooks are now showing up as they're supposed to.

Thank you, dordale. And thank you, pilotbob, for suggesting the hard reboot; I'd been nervous about even trying it because I wasn't sure exactly what it did.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:57 PM   #12
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Elfwreck--Glad you got it working! Simple things like that can bug the heck out of me until I get them figured out.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:32 PM   #13
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Glad it's back to normal.

I also want to say that your red reader is damned sexy.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote