Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-06-2009, 02:27 PM   #121
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuliand View Post
A netbooks screen is no comparison with an eINK when reading
Absolutely true.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:32 PM   #122
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Absolutely true.
I call an Eee 1000H my own and I absolutely love it. But only for writing texts, watching movies and browsing the Net while I am on the go. Definitely not for extensive reading. The screen of my Sony Reader absolutely spoiled me.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2009, 02:34 PM   #123
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
I call an Eee 1000H my own and I absolutely love it. But only for writing texts, watching movies and browsing the Net while I am on the go. Definitely not for extensive reading. The screen of my Sony Reader absolutely spoiled me.
I understand. I am planning to purchase netbook right now. But definitely not for reading ebooks.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:37 PM   #124
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuliand View Post
Well i don't believe that is i good reason sony seem to have quite a few books plus once publishers have a device to sell too they might get and realese more books in ebook format just like record companies had to wake up and sell music online. What are the chances of being able to import a kindle DX to the uk?
Sony doesn't sell books (officially) anywhere but the US and Canada. The books for the UK, Germany and elsewhere are sold by other retailers. Since Amazon's focus seems to be cornering the market on where you get your content I don't think they're as interested in device only sales.

A lot of it goes back to the fact that the publishing rights situation for most ebooks isn't global, but mostly follows along with who holds the print rights. Stupid? Maybe, but that's how things are right now and thats a publisher issue more than an Amazon issue.

As to importing one to the UK it shouldn't be a problem. Look for threads on buying a Kindle 2 from outside the US. Getting a DX should work through the same methods.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:38 PM   #125
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Regarding the DX...

I'd buy one - if I had the money.

Look, I think the tiny-tiny keyboard is way out-of-balance for the rest of the device, but it's a 'decent' price for a 9.7" e-ink reader and it should do a better job of displaying PDF files. Yep. I'd buy one.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2009, 02:44 PM   #126
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
Hey, can someone take a look at this video and tell me if the sound is okay? It's playing very funky on my computer:

Kindle DX -- Highlighting / note taking

If it's okay I'll post links to the other videos. Thanks!

Edit: Never mind, it was a problem with my browser. Will post other links in a new thread soon.

Last edited by jharker; 05-06-2009 at 02:49 PM.
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:44 PM   #127
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
It seems to be a fair price for a 9.7" device. If I could think of a reason to have a bigger device than I have now I'd probably order one. For me the 6" devices are pretty much just right for reading fiction which is almost all I do.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:47 PM   #128
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharker View Post
Hey, can someone take a look at this video and tell me if the sound is okay? It's playing very funky on my computer:

Kindle DX -- Highlighting / note taking

If it's okay I'll post links to the other videos. Thanks!
it seems to be playing fine for me, there's a lot of background noise but that's to be expected, the presenter is still perfectly audible and understandable. thanks for the videos !!
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:06 PM   #129
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
Hey! Okay, since the videos are apparently playing okay for everyone but me, I posted it all in a new thread. Let me know what you think!
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:43 PM   #130
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by purl4peace View Post
Unfortunately, October 2009 will be too late. I think the Kindle is being released in Summer so they can be out in time for the fall semester.

Several years ago UNC-CH made all students purchase a particular laptop (or maybe gave them to all students??) so that all students would have the same standard platform.

Considering Amazon is setting up pilot projects at 5 separate universities, they are really hoping to capture the student market...
I do hope they show students how the textbooks are rendered first (in .mobi, as they won't be able to highlight/save anything in pdfs for later viewing/reminders), as it hardly seems the best choice for a reflowable text book with important images, tables and (usually, springer, mcgrawhill) non-standard page sizes, because I'm having trouble believing it will be pretty.
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:56 PM   #131
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Looks like the larger screen - except for PDF and image viewing - is largely wasted. You can put more text on the screen by choosing smaller text size, but then the line length is too long to be very readable. Should be an option to split into two columns, at least when in landscape mode - I didn't see this ability in the user manual.
Ok, so one of the screen shots shows an option to display 'fewer' and 'fewest' words per line, so I guess this is so that lines will not grow to awkward lengths. But that still will leave screen real estate 'unused'.

That said, I like being able to change orientation, and although 'auto' mode would not be supported on K2 (which lacks accelerometer chip), the others would be Good To Have.

So here's hoping a K2 software upgrade is in the works for release when DX starts shipping, that adds ability to change orientation, PDF support, and broader Unicode support.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:21 PM   #132
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
This looks like a very interesting device.
However, if Amazon are marketing it for students then they should make a point of adding a very robust case. My students are in the habit of tossing their textbooks into a back-pack. If they try that with a large e-ink screen then I foresee many broken screen substrates and many unhappy undergraduates.

The price could also be an issue for some students.

At the moment I'm using my Asus eee, with the screen rotated 90 degrees, to read PDFs. It's not ideal. But it is cheap. And young people are often keen on cheapness and less prone to eye-strain than middle-aged ladies such as I am. An eee is more robust and cheaper. But the new device looks like being a much nicer reading experience. I wonder how well it will take off?

If Amazon manages to corner the textbook market then it should do rather well. But offer a sturdy case, guys, otherwise there will be more complaints than from the Cybook owners and Sony owners put together.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:24 PM   #133
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
My thoughts:

I like the bigger screen, and I really like the ability to switch from portrait to landscape mode (and the ability to lock the screen, so it *doesn't* switch if I want to read in bed).

I love that it can display pdfs.

BUT

It can't highlight and annotate pdfs? (Page 66 of the user's manual) That makes it 50% useless for the kind of close reading and data-gathering I need it for. Not only that, it can't even *search* pdfs! It searches only the metadata, not the body of the document. That takes care of the other 50%.

Wait--in one place, page 67, it says it *can* search the document (as long as it's not one of those blasted every-page-as-a-separate-image pdfs). In another place (page 72) it says " For PDFs, Kindle searches for the term in the metadata only. " So I'm not sure what to think on the search issue.

But not being able to annotate is likely to be a dealbreaker for me all by itself.

I also don't like that it 1) STILL doesn't have folders and 2) doesn't support ePub.

I think I'm going to wait and see what Astak and Plastic Logic are going to offer in this department. Or maybe the Kindle 4 will be able to search, highlight and annotate pdfs.
-------------------
I've been skimming (rather hurriedly, I admit) through the user manual for the Kindle DX, which is online at http://s3.amazonaws.com/kindle/KindleDX_Users_Guide.pdf, so that's where I got this stuff. I'd be happy to have it turn out that I'm wrong; that I'm misunderstanding something in the user's manual, or that the user's manual is an early, hasty effort, with mistakes that will be corrected before the DX comes out.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:33 PM   #134
Studio717
Addict
Studio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enough

Device: Various Kindles, iPhone, iPad, Galaxy 10.1
Oooh, boy... so close.

I'm certainly going to keep watching this but I'm also going to be waiting until summer to see what else gets announced/released between now and then. I think the price is to be expected and certainly compares favorably to what iRex charges for a comparable screen (yes, I realize the other features are quite different).

Still disappointed there's no SD card - I have a 4GB one filled up AND I had to leave stuff off of it to make room for what's on it. That number of books they cite is obviously not for page-scan PDFs.

At first I was annoyed at the page-turning controls only being on the right. Don't they do any real-world testing on these things??? Hold and change pages with left hand, write notes with right... (ime, obviously). Many users aren't going to want to only take notes on the device. That was my rant. Then I read an early post here about the rotating screen and how you can rotate it 180 degrees, so my rant lost some of its air.

Thanks to all who have posted. Lots of good food for thought. I'm thinking I'll probably end up with one if Sony stays quiet and the Apple tablet rumors turn out to be just that - rumors. Seems like I'm always waiting for this, first for iRex to release bluetooth/wifi version, then endlessly for the Plastic Logic device, and now summer for this.

And am I the only one who feels this tech should have been out ten years ago?

Last edited by Studio717; 05-06-2009 at 04:37 PM.
Studio717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:36 PM   #135
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio717 View Post
And am I the only one who feels this tech should have been out ten years ago?
No, but you are the only one who believes existing industries will embrace change unless forced
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote