Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-01-2013, 07:05 PM   #121
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
When there is enough ambient light (enough = to comfortably read a book), then it's actually possible to set the PW so that it seems just to be a bright, high quality page. When set that way, it looks as if the quality of the page is being improved, instead of looking artificially illuminated. I like this a lot.

Obviously, this only works in good ambient light.

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-01-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:22 PM   #122
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I don't have a lit reader now, and I do OK using lights in the room. It helps that I live alone so I can use whatever lights I want I can remember only one occasion when I was reading in a rather dimly lit place and wished I'd thought to bring a clip-on light.

My reader is only a year old and still working fine, so I don't have plans to replace it in the near future. I suppose by the time it dies and I buy a new one, they'll all have lights built in.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #123
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Sell it for a good price.... Did it with my Touch as soon as the opportunity came up.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:37 PM   #124
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
That would explain the strange looks some elderly ladies gave me in our local Barnes & Noble when I asked the clerk about their Nook eBooks.
Oh thank you for that giggle WT!! I'm still hooting!
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:05 PM   #125
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
I purchased my Glo when I was envious of my husband being able to read outdoors on his ipad in the evening. I either needed a light on which attracted insects or I used my little clip on light which I really don't like.
I thought I was being a bit extravagant but I called it a Christmas present and treated myself. I didn't expect to use it other than in low light situations as I was very happy with my Kobo Touch.
I read without the light during the day and when in a well lit room for the first 2 or 3 days but then realised that like many others I really like the look of the screen with the light on. Now I use my Touch as a back up once every week or two while the Glo is charging. For some reason I never remember to charge my reader when I stop reading - I only remember to check the battery when I am about to start.
I would never go back to an unlit device - just like I'd never go back from the Touch.

Last edited by HarleyB; 02-01-2013 at 08:13 PM.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2013, 08:07 PM   #126
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The lighting certainly isn't perfectly uniform, but it's WAY better than any booklight, which is really what it's replacing.
I find it's absolutely the best way to read in bed. No clip-ons or lighted covers need apply, and forget having to reach overhead to turn the bed light off when reading's done for the night.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:43 PM   #127
Illyria
Connoisseur
Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK, K5, K7, KPW3
I seem to be in the minority but I really don't like to use the light during the day. I only start to turn it on at dusk. It's really very convenient, but I never, even at the lowest setting, stop to note that somehow it seems artificial. When I'm reading on my Kindle 4 for example and the light conditions are good, I forget that I'm reading on a device. Not so with frontlight on.

Last edited by Illyria; 02-01-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Illyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:32 PM   #128
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Interesting, Illyria. Because I fall into the books just as easily on my PW as I did on my k3.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:00 PM   #129
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
I purchased my Glo when I was envious of my husband being able to read outdoors on his ipad in the evening. I either needed a light on which attracted insects or I used my little clip on light which I really don't like.
I thought I was being a bit extravagant but I called it a Christmas present and treated myself. I didn't expect to use it other than in low light situations as I was very happy with my Kobo Touch.
I read without the light during the day and when in a well lit room for the first 2 or 3 days but then realised that like many others I really like the look of the screen with the light on. Now I use my Touch as a back up once every week or two while the Glo is charging. For some reason I never remember to charge my reader when I stop reading - I only remember to check the battery when I am about to start.
I would never go back to an unlit device - just like I'd never go back from the Touch.
It's the difference between nite and day. Pun intended. Having a eReader without a back lit screen in today's world is kinda back woods. To be frank (stupid).

Last edited by MrDoug; 02-01-2013 at 11:02 PM.
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:03 AM   #130
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
No, I wouldn't buy one without. Amazon has ruined me forever. I even converted from B&N because their Paperwhite was so much better. I even gave up on my Nook Color (rooted with CM10), and gave it to my fiance because I like reading on the Paperwhite so much better.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:08 AM   #131
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illyria View Post
I seem to be in the minority but I really don't like to use the light during the day. I only start to turn it on at dusk. It's really very convenient, but I never, even at the lowest setting, stop to note that somehow it seems artificial. When I'm reading on my Kindle 4 for example and the light conditions are good, I forget that I'm reading on a device. Not so with frontlight on.
Yes, I'm getting that artificial thing too. After using it for a couple of days, I'm finding that I only really like reading on the PW with the light turned right down to the minimum.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:36 AM   #132
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoug View Post
It's the difference between nite and day. Pun intended. Having a eReader without a back lit screen in today's world is kinda back woods. To be frank (stupid).

I disagree with your categorization. Reading all the posts, one can see genuine reasons for some members expressing a reason for not liking it or for not feeling comfortable with reading on one.

Personally, I love it and will never go back, but I appreciate and respect that there are differences of opinion regarding this issue.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:48 AM   #133
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I could see myself being like Illyria and not wanting to use the light during the day in good daylight. However, isn't the light down at it's very lowest setting on the Paperwhite so dim that you can't see it, or is it a case that while it has a better resolution than older Kindles, with the light that low, the screen seems a little duller?

I don't use a book light at all and was never really interested in a lighted e-reader, but I have felt that duringthe dark and dull days of winter this year that it would have been an improvement. I want the screen to be as good as my Kindle Keyboard with the light off though, and I'd prefer to be able to switch it off completely too.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:09 AM   #134
Illyria
Connoisseur
Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK, K5, K7, KPW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Interesting, Illyria. Because I fall into the books just as easily on my PW as I did on my k3.
Maybe I would feel different with the PW because the level of brightness can be adjusted to a much lower level than on the Glo and Cybook. If that is still the case with the next generation and they have worked out the various problems I might just indulge myself. In the meantime, I'm still enjoying reading with the light on my devices, just not during the day.
Illyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:29 AM   #135
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
I could see myself being like Illyria and not wanting to use the light during the day in good daylight. However, isn't the light down at it's very lowest setting on the Paperwhite so dim that you can't see it, or is it a case that while it has a better resolution than older Kindles, with the light that low, the screen seems a little duller?
Yes, in daylight, the light on its lowest setting is completely invisible. But on level 10, which is the setting I normally use, even in daylight the light makes a drastic improvement to the appearance of the screen - it significantly increases the contrast.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote