Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-16-2011, 07:07 PM   #1
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool The Jim Butcher Files: Dresden . Codex Alera . Cinder Spires & More

[Post originally by Nyssa]

(Omnibus Editions - See Contents Here)

This thread is dedicated to all things Jim Butcher.

What started as a "fan page" for The Dresden Files, has morphed to encompass any body of work produced by Mr. Butcher.

When posting about his novels, I will ask that any spoiler-like statements be placed in tags, as there are some who may be new to the various series. It would also be nice (although by no means mandatory) to include the name of said series, and the title or book number in the title portion of your post, so that we know to which work you are referring.

Thanks and have fun!

From The Dresden Files:
Here are the 7 laws by which Harry & all wizards should/must live.
Here is a list of the main novels, to date, in the Dresden Files series.
Here is list with the novels and all of the short/bonus stories available, to date, in chronological order.

All Butcher books published to date. (Feb. 2014)

A special THANK YOU to Alansplace who has provided all of the book cover images, the thread logo, and the series title images in this post! I don't know what we would do without you!!

Last edited by pdurrant; 07-15-2022 at 07:32 AM.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:29 PM   #2
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
[was a duplicate of the first post]

Last edited by pdurrant; 07-15-2022 at 07:32 AM.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2011, 09:14 PM   #3
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Storm Front (1) & Fool Moon (2)

Harry Dresden is a down on his luck private investigating wizard! The only "real" wizard in Chicago, Ill. That fact alone usually leads him to trouble, if trouble doesn't find him first.

After reading the first 2 books, I find that I really like the "endless possibilities" feeling of the series, you're never sure just waht kind of supernatural being is going to pop up next. I mean who knew there were multiple flavors of werewolves!?!

I really like Harry (of course), although I find him to be quite frustrating at times. He's so stubborn about some things, and communication is definitely not his strong suit.

Karrin Murphy pisses me off makes me mad. She's just so...so... aarg!

I find "Bob" the disembodied something-thousand year old spirit, to be amusing.

Plus, I'm very curious to see how the whole frienemy thing works out with "Gentleman" Johnny Marcone.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:20 PM   #4
AkumaTakeshi
Lounge Lurker
AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi (Screen Broken)
Nice thread, I've been thinking in starting to read this series, because of that I went to see how the TV series were and I'm hooked.

The only problem is that I think they only made one season and I don't even know if it has something to do with the books or not. Maybe each episode it's just a snippet from one of the books.

Last edited by AkumaTakeshi; 09-17-2011 at 02:45 AM.
AkumaTakeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:32 PM   #5
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaTakeshi View Post
Nice thread, I've been thinking in starting to read this series, because of that I went to see how the series were and I'm hooked.

The only problem is that I think they only made one season and I don't even know if it has something to do with the books or not. Maybe each episode it's just a snippet from one of the books.
Thank you.

According to alansplace (our resident Dresden File aficionado ) the TV series has very little to do with books. It is more "inspired by". He did say, in a response to a post I made about Fool Moon, that:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
if you view the tv episode titled hair of the dog you'll see just how very loosely-based the tv series is concerning the books, basically just a couple of characters and their affiliation with the fbi and no spoiler in either direction.
Advert
Old 09-16-2011, 10:44 PM   #6
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool nice

great idea, i'll be hanging around, hmmmm.....maybe i'll re-read the series and re-watch the tv series. yep, that's what i'll do.

Last edited by alansplace; 09-16-2011 at 10:48 PM. Reason: change a word
Old 09-16-2011, 11:10 PM   #7
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool cover art by christian mcgrath

here are the first two books' cover art - more soon

storm front & fool moon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dresdenrainynight.jpg
Views:	10295
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	76600   Click image for larger version

Name:	fool_moon_web.jpg
Views:	3642
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	76601  

Last edited by alansplace; 09-16-2011 at 11:48 PM. Reason: add names
Old 09-16-2011, 11:11 PM   #8
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I had a 6 hour car trip today. I borrowed the Storm Front audio book from the library, a couple weeks ago, burned it to CD (allowed by library) and listened to the first 3 discs in the car. Even though I've already read the book, I really enjoyed the audiobook as well. I was surprised that there were some things I just didn't notice or remember in the book that cropped up in the audio version.

I think the TV series would have been better if they'd stuck closer to the books, but they probably just couldn't tell the same stories in the time allotted. I thought Terrance Man as the human-form version of Bob-the-skull was terrific.

Last edited by carld; 09-16-2011 at 11:13 PM.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:31 PM   #9
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

and 4 more

grave peril - summer knight - death masks - blood rites
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	graveperil.jpg
Views:	3076
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	76602   Click image for larger version

Name:	Summer_Knight.jpg
Views:	3645
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	76603   Click image for larger version

Name:	death-masks.jpg
Views:	2860
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	76604   Click image for larger version

Name:	blood_rites.jpg
Views:	3060
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	76605  

Last edited by alansplace; 09-16-2011 at 11:49 PM. Reason: add names
Old 09-16-2011, 11:37 PM   #10
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

....and 10 more

dead beat - proven guilty - white knight - small favor - turn coaat - changes - ghost story - side jobs (short story collection) - cold days - skin game
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dead Beat .jpg
Views:	3022
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	76606   Click image for larger version

Name:	ProvenGuilty .jpg
Views:	3586
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	76607   Click image for larger version

Name:	whitenight_web.jpg
Views:	3291
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	76608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Small_Favor_web.jpg
Views:	4413
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	76609   Click image for larger version

Name:	turn_coat.jpg
Views:	3981
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	76610   Click image for larger version

Name:	Changes.jpg
Views:	3629
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	76611   Click image for larger version

Name:	ghost_story.jpg
Views:	2954
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	76612   Click image for larger version

Name:	Side_Jobs.jpg
Views:	2899
Size:	245.6 KB
ID:	76613   Click image for larger version

Name:	CD.jpg
Views:	2663
Size:	504.7 KB
ID:	135593   Click image for larger version

Name:	3ff9c8071e226fb4daa47c226c733e16.jpg
Views:	2376
Size:	249.4 KB
ID:	135594  

Last edited by alansplace; 03-05-2015 at 01:09 PM. Reason: add names
Old 09-17-2011, 12:19 PM   #11
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
Fool Moon (2)

Karrin Murphy

lol
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:28 PM   #12
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool storm front

started re-reading storm front last night. enjoying it immensely.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:26 PM   #13
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Just starting "Grave Peril". Enjoyed the first two.

Now Karrin... I see her as a cop trying to prove herself and a bit pissed at Harry for not taking her into his confidence. Actually I kinda like her. Gutsy broad (in the nicest sense )
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:35 PM   #14
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
You'll get used to Karrin, really....
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:57 PM   #15
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool then change and mature

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Just starting "Grave Peril". Enjoyed the first two.

Now Karrin... I see her as a cop trying to prove herself and a bit pissed at Harry for not taking her into his confidence. Actually I kinda like her. Gutsy broad (in the nicest sense )
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
You'll get used to Karrin, really....
i've said this in earlier posts in other threads, but i think that here and now it is worth repeating.

over the chronology span of the short story volume 'side jobs' and the 13 published dresden files novels, the main characters all change as they age and mature, as we all do in real life.

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy