Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-17-2011, 10:02 PM   #16
tbrod
tbrod began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_h View Post
For the sake of completeness, the OP should ensure that there are not any SD cards or other usb devices plugged into the computer (thumb drives, portable hard drives). I just can't seem to get my Kobo to "connect" when I have a thumb drive or SD card also inserted to the same computer.
Hi everyone - the mystery deepens! There are no other USB ports in use. My son's laptop has a different operating system (Vista) plus different antivirus (AVG). Here's a possibly crazy question: would it at all be related to our wireless internet setup? That's the only thing I can see that they would have in common.
tbrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:05 PM   #17
tbrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLC View Post
Ok I talked to another Kobo Tech at work today and he suggested uninstalling and reinstalling all drivers for the USB port because if the Kobo is plugged in and still making an error sound while connected then the issue is with the USB driver you're running. On that note he and I found it odd that both computers were having this issue because obviously the Kobo is being detected but it's being stopped either by the USB port or some other part of the computer.

Michael
I will try the uninstalling/reinstalling the USB driver. One other interesting/incredible note: My son just told me that when I re-tried the Kobo on his laptop just to make sure that it indeed was still not working on either computer, not only did his laptop not recognize the Kobo at all, but trying the Kobo on it has actually disabled the USB port on his laptop. hmmm... any suggestions about that?
Old 01-17-2011, 10:27 PM   #18
tbrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I believe there actually are some log files created in C:\WINDOWS\INF that contain messages related to the USB device installation. SETUPAPI.APP.LOG and SETUPAPI.DEV.LOG.

Might be interesting to peruse those before and after plugging the Kobo in.

Also; in Control Panel | Device Manager do any devices show up as being Unknown Devices when the Kobo is plugged in (and of course, in Manage Library mode).
Hi PeterT,

The Kobo shows up as a device in Control Panel. But it doesn't show up under "My Computer" as drive, which I believe is what it's supposed to do.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:27 PM   #19
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
but trying the Kobo on it has actually disabled the USB port on his laptop. hmmm... any suggestions about that?
It sounds like that laptop has a (resettable) fuse in the USB power line. That's actually a good design feature. The fuse should rest itself after it cools down - 5 to 10 minutes at most. I hope it did...

It may be that both laptops are USB power limited - maybe only when they are running on battery. Have you tried running the laptops off the AC power? If you have a USB charger, you could try making sure the Kobo is fully charged; it shouldn't draw as much power from the USB port then.

Hope this helps - I'm running out of ideas.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:50 PM   #20
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
What IS Windows 2007 ? I've never heard of that version....

In Device Manager when you right click on the Kobo device what do you see there?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:36 AM   #21
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
More information about the laptops would really help. Just as an example, some Asus laptops with similar problems (not kobo, but other devices) worked just fine when new chipset drivers were installed. The plug in vs running on battery could also be a factor, as mentioned earlier. Does anything change if you are NOT connected to your network (and the firewall is turned off)?
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:44 PM   #22
tbrod

Thanks Pholy, that's a good suggestion. I haven't checked in with my son yet on the USB so hopefully it's working again. I'm happy to say that someone at Kobo has suggested my bringing the laptop and Kobo into their Toronto location and they will check things out for me. Keep your fingers crossed!
Old 01-18-2011, 07:47 PM   #23
tbrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
What IS Windows 2007 ? I've never heard of that version....

In Device Manager when you right click on the Kobo device what do you see there?
Sorry PeterT, I meant Microsoft Office 2007. When I right-click, it shows menu that includes Properties, Troubleshoot and Create Shortcut.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:51 PM   #24
tbrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
More information about the laptops would really help. Just as an example, some Asus laptops with similar problems (not kobo, but other devices) worked just fine when new chipset drivers were installed. The plug in vs running on battery could also be a factor, as mentioned earlier. Does anything change if you are NOT connected to your network (and the firewall is turned off)?
thanks for checking in, taming. My laptop is HP Model G60 551-CA. (As you can probably tell, I'm not very technology savvy - hopefully this info tells you all you need!).
Old 01-18-2011, 07:51 PM   #25
tbrod

Hi everyone,

As a next step, Kobo has offered to book an appointment for me to meet with one of their technology people to try to resolve the problem.

Thanks to everyone for all of the excellent advice you've all been giving, it sounds like there are a few things we'll want to check out. I'll repost once I meet with Kobo and let everyone know how it goes! Thanks again!
Old 01-19-2011, 06:42 AM   #26
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
That's great tbrod! I saw the offer on Get Satisfaction. I hope they can help you out--nice that they will look at your laptop, too.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:23 PM   #27
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
One thing I have found is that the USB cable itself can make a VERY big difference!

Iv'e just spent 20 minutes playing with my Kobo attaching to a new PC I am building. I KNOW that I did have it working a few days ago, but when I tried today I kept being told that the device being attached was not recognized.

I went so far as to deinstall / reinstall the Kobo desktop, with no change. I also tried in Device Manager doing an "uninstall" on the unknown device that again made no change.

Finally out of semi desperation I switched to a different USB cable I had sitting there.

Lo and behold, it worked!

So my advice would have to be if the PC does NOT recognize the Kobo, DO try a different USB cable!

Peter
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:23 PM   #28
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Come to think of it, my PDA simply refused to use the USB cable one day. Another cable resolved the issue, so it is certainly worth trying.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:48 AM   #29
water4u99
water4u99 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo wifi, iphone, ibm tablet, windows and linux pc, macbook
There is a issue where kobo is being "interpreted" to be another application. I had the problem where my iPhone was plugged in. I resolved the problem by un-installing iTune app. Somehow windows os associated kobo to be some other device or just open file folder only. Some other background process intercept the kobo startup and prevent it from being recognized properly. Had a problem with my Calibre as well - where it could not recognize kobo. I have also turn off the Calibre plug-in for iTunes.
water4u99 is offline   Reply With Quote