Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-27-2013, 06:29 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
This is idiocy on a level that doesn't even exist yet.

The only way I can think of is that this happens when the EPUB is auto-generated from a file that actually includes the image multiple times, such as a Word-document.
I've seen this in eBooks not made (well, not noticeably) by Word.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:43 PM   #17
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Nothing. It just sits on my desktop and stares at me with those big puppy eyes.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2013, 07:56 PM   #18
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
By the way, now that we're talking about Sigil: what engine does it use to render the EPUBs?
WebKit.

Quote:
Some Adobe products in the past used Presto (Opera's engine), so maybe this is also true for ADE.
Apple uses WebKit; they were the ones who started the project as a fork of KDE's engine. I believe ADE wrote their own engine.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:40 PM   #19
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I use Sigil sometimes to break up Omnibus editions I've purchased into individual volumes.

Sometimes, if I want to dump website stories or articles into my eReader, I'll use Sigil as a halfway point to tidy things up for the auto-generated epub and maybe even put on a cover if I've feeling particularly anal.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:49 PM   #20
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
How do you do this? Penguin cozy mysteries suffer the problem a lot.
JSWolf explained it exactly as I do it. You can also just remove the fancy border from all chapters too if you feel it detracts from the book when viewed on an ereader at all. That might be simpler to do, but I usually try to keep formatting as close to the original as possible.

Quote:
This is idiocy on a level that doesn't even exist yet.

The only way I can think of is that this happens when the EPUB is auto-generated from a file that actually includes the image multiple times, such as a Word-document.
I see this quite often in ebooks lately, and I agree, it is idiocy, especially when there's between 35-50 chapters and there's a separate image for each of the chapters, even though they're identical. The sizes are slightly different by a few pixels and fractions of kb, so I've no doubt it's done by some automated process where the push is to crank out as many books as possible quickly, even if bloated to over 50% size increase (or more, I've compressed images where the new ones are less than 12% of the original size in the book).

I've got some books over 2MBs where once the duplicate images are deleted and I compress the images that are left brings the book down to around 500kb. That's a huge difference for one file, especially when there's absolutely no reason for it.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2013, 11:55 PM   #21
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
I use it (in combination with Notepad++ and a bunch of Autohotkey scripts) to convert plain-text Public Domain transcripts to formatted ePubs.

Love that preview window for making adjustments to CSS!
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:10 AM   #22
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
How do you do this? Penguin cozy mysteries suffer the problem a lot.
I do the Reverse order of what JS does.

Use Reports to see thumbnails of the images (or explode the EPUB, and print a 'Proof sheet' from Windows)

Pick the best one, Use S&R to change each of the others to the chosen one.

Then use 'delete unused images'
Check the report again to see if you missed any
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #23
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Thank you, I'll try
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:42 PM   #24
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
Nothing. It just sits on my desktop and stares at me with those big puppy eyes.
Good one.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote