Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 05-17-2011, 02:22 PM   #1
wdcorbitt
Edge User

Hope this is the right area - Android 3.0

Ok, this may have already been asked - if so, I apologize, but it appears by Google and many other sites that Android 3.0/Android 3.1 are specifically made for tablet devices...ok so here is the question: is the PE going to get an update to this? I realize they just released the 2.2.1 beta so I'm guessing no time soon....?
Any real info. is appreciated on any release information. Please no speculation.
i would really like to hear from someone - if at all possible - from Entourage.com
thanks to all!

Old 05-17-2011, 02:24 PM   #2
wdcorbitt
Edge User

ok, one last thing about my above post - anyone rooted their PE yet, if so - have you loaded 3.0 or 3.1???? just curious????

Advert
Old 05-17-2011, 02:32 PM   #3
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Previous post speculate the edge is not capable of running 3.0 due to hardware restrictions.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:48 PM   #4
wdcorbitt
Edge User

thank you cheyenne, can you link those posts for me please?

Old 05-17-2011, 03:11 PM   #5
cheyennedonna
Edge User

http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...ight=honeycomb
http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...ight=Honeycomb

Advert
Old 05-17-2011, 03:38 PM   #6
wdcorbitt
Edge User

thank you

Old 05-17-2011, 07:17 PM   #7
Filark
Edge User

Several people have rooted their devices. You might do a search for the word "root" if you don't want to scroll through all the threads.

Welcome to the forum!

Old 05-17-2011, 08:43 PM   #8
emusan
Edge User

I'm rooted, the problem is you can't just "upgrade" to 3.0 or 3.1, you have to port it to the hardware, which would take some time, and even then anyone who did it would lose all e-ink features, making it unlikely that anyone will be doing it in the near future. Also, as others have said the hardware very well might not be up to the task .

Old 05-17-2011, 10:01 PM   #9
paula-t
Edge User

Exactly. The problem here is the integration between the two screens, which are not "the same screen times 2" as other dual tablets around. And trying an upgrade to 3 would eliminate the e-ink side theretically.
Remember Ermine is not any Froyo 2.2., but a version dedicated for Edge and its dual capacities.
There is the possibility that the cake is not a lie, according to one of the latest posts by an Administrator, and we are all guessing what the cake could be about. (Funny thread "The cake is not a lie", which appealed to our "childish" sides.)
Who knows.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:27 AM   #10
wdcorbitt
Edge User

Thank you Filark! Yeah, I've done some reading on rooting, but nothing specifically about Android 3.0 loaded. I think Paula-t has read my mind, because my concern was even if I did root and get Android 3.0 to install it might not recognize the reader side. However, after reading from www.android.com SDK notes the Android 3.0 and 3.1 versions appear to recognize dual screens!??!?! Would cake allow the use of the regular android market?
The reason I ask all this is my ulterior motive is to install two apps that I would love to have/need to have for a tablet like the PE to make sense for ALL my uses (mostly these would be for work)....I have yet to successfully install AutoCAD WS and Memento. Those are my big two...other than that this thing is SUH-WEEEET!
Thank you all for the info though! I love reading updates.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:11 PM   #11
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdcorbitt View Post
Thank you Filark! Yeah, I've done some reading on rooting, but nothing specifically about Android 3.0 loaded. I think Paula-t has read my mind, because my concern was even if I did root and get Android 3.0 to install it might not recognize the reader side. However, after reading from www.android.com SDK notes the Android 3.0 and 3.1 versions appear to recognize dual screens!??!?! Would cake allow the use of the regular android market?
The reason I ask all this is my ulterior motive is to install two apps that I would love to have/need to have for a tablet like the PE to make sense for ALL my uses (mostly these would be for work)....I have yet to successfully install AutoCAD WS and Memento. Those are my big two...other than that this thing is SUH-WEEEET!
Thank you all for the info though! I love reading updates.
Off your topic, sort of, but what do you mean by your reference to cake? It brings this thread to mind http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...highlight=cake

Old 05-18-2011, 05:03 PM   #12
wdcorbitt
Edge User

Cheyennedonna, sorry but I'm a bit confused - I didn't realize I made reference to cake? Sorry a bit of a newb on some of these things.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:09 PM   #13
Filark
Edge User

I think Paula made a reference to the "cake is not a lie" thread, then you said "would cake allow the use of the regular android market?," perhaps by mistake, or perhaps thinking Paula meant something else. Anyway, you will enjoy reading the "cake" thread if you haven't already.