Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-19-2012, 06:53 AM   #1
filthyPierre
filthyPierre can illuminate an eclipsefilthyPierre can illuminate an eclipsefilthyPierre can illuminate an eclipsefilthyPierre can illuminate an eclipsefilthyPierre can illuminate an eclipsefilthyPierre can illuminate an eclipsefilthyPierre can illuminate an eclipsefilthyPierre can illuminate an eclipsefilthyPierre can illuminate an eclipsefilthyPierre can illuminate an eclipsefilthyPierre can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Touch fw 2.1.5, Asus Transformer Prime TF201 JB
Transfer annotations from a Touch to a Glo

Hi there,

I'm getting a new Glo for Christmas and giving my Touch to my daughter. There are a few books on the Touch that I've annotated with highlights, mainly where there are spelling mistakes or formatting issues, which I will fix later with Sigil.

I've used Calibre to transfer the annotations from the device to Calibre, and I can view the annotations in the book detail within Calibre, and I can also read the XML metadata files on my PC. I deleted one book from the Touch using Calibre, and then transferred it back. Unfortunately, the annotations did not go the other way and now the book has none on the Touch.

I still have them in Calibre but it is much easier to fix the text using the Touch and Sigil, rather than having to swap from Calibre to Sigil. Also, when viewing the annotations in Calibre, there is no reference point as to where the annotations belong, only the text that is (was) highlighted in the book on the Touch. Hope that make sense.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Pete
filthyPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:13 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I find using the annotation fetching in calibre to be an unsatisfactory solution. It gets them and adds them to the comments field, but I don't find that very useful.

You mention an XML metadata file. I assume this is the annot file for for the epub in the "Digital Editions\Annotations" directory of the device. I have recently done some experiments with this.

Copying the file from my Touch to my Glo worked to copy the annotations. So long as the names of all the files and directories involved are the same, it will work. And as I put the books onto both devices with calibre, that was easy.

I could also copy the file to the appropriate directory in for ADE on the PC. That didn't work as well. The annotations were listed, and selecting them went to the right place. But, the text wasn't highlighted. I'm not sure why this was. When I added an annotation in ADE and copied the file back the Glo, the new annotation was displayed.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
filthyPierre
filthyPierre can illuminate an eclipsefilthyPierre can illuminate an eclipsefilthyPierre can illuminate an eclipsefilthyPierre can illuminate an eclipsefilthyPierre can illuminate an eclipsefilthyPierre can illuminate an eclipsefilthyPierre can illuminate an eclipsefilthyPierre can illuminate an eclipsefilthyPierre can illuminate an eclipsefilthyPierre can illuminate an eclipsefilthyPierre can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Touch fw 2.1.5, Asus Transformer Prime TF201 JB
Ok, thanks David I will give it a try.

Cheers,

Pete
filthyPierre is offline   Reply With Quote