Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-25-2010, 08:03 PM   #1
AbominableDavid
Enthusiast
AbominableDavid began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
CSS odd behavior with ADE/Sony Reader

I've used Sigil in the past to modify other ebooks with great success. I decided it was time to create my own ebook and have spent the last few days scanning a book I own and using Sigil to create the ebook.

It looks great in Sigil and it looks great in calibre. In ADE and on my PRS-505, however, the css doesn't seem to be applied to the text.

I've got the link to the css file in the <head></head> section of each chapter
Code:
  <link rel="stylesheet" href="../styles/style0001.css" type="text/css" />
The css file is part of the archive, and I can't figure out why it works in Sigil and Calibre but not in ADE and my reader.

Any suggestions?
AbominableDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:11 PM   #2
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
If it looks great in both Sigil and Calibre, then it's an ADE issue. That's not very surprising, ADE has its fair share of faults.

If you could provide the epub file, then others could help you find the root cause.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:37 PM   #3
AbominableDavid
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
If it looks great in both Sigil and Calibre, then it's an ADE issue. That's not very surprising, ADE has its fair share of faults.

If you could provide the epub file, then others could help you find the root cause.
I don't feel comfortable providing the epub - it's a commercial work that I've digitized for my own use.

I'll see if I can recreate the problem with some public domain work and post that.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:43 PM   #4
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
ADE is VERY fussy about errors in the CSS. My bet is that there's a spelling mistake or missing ; that you've overlooked. This will cause ADE to throw out the CSS file.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:54 PM   #5
paulpeer
Zealot
paulpeer is on a distinguished road

Device: iPhone, Sony PRS-505, EPUBreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
ADE is VERY fussy about errors in the CSS.
Yes, the latest problem I had was this: instead of
Code:
font-size: 80%;
I had written
Code:
font-size: 80 %;
And this one little space was enough for ADE to reject the whole CSS!
paulpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:55 PM   #6
paulpeer
Zealot
paulpeer is on a distinguished road

Device: iPhone, Sony PRS-505, EPUBreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbominableDavid View Post
I don't feel comfortable providing the epub - it's a commercial work that I've digitized for my own use.

I'll see if I can recreate the problem with some public domain work and post that.
Just post the CSS. Very likely the problem is there, and not in the book.
paulpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:00 PM   #7
AbominableDavid
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulpeer View Post
Just post the CSS. Very likely the problem is there, and not in the book.
Very good idea.

I just used the CSS generated by my OCR program, with a few modifications.

Code:

h1 {text-align: center; font-size: 150%; font-weight: bold;}  

span.sgc-6 {font-style: italic;}
  p.sgc-4 {margin-left: 2%; margin-right: 2%; margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 0; text-indent: 3%}
  p.opener {margin-left: 2%; margin-right: 2%; margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 0; text-indent: 0}
  p.sgc-2 {font-weight: bold}
  hr.spacing {margin: 2em 25%;}
Actually, just as an experiment, I pasted my css code above directly into one of the chapter headers, between <style></style> headers, and that chapter appeared the way I expected - so I must have not done something correctly linking the style sheet.

Last edited by AbominableDavid; 03-26-2010 at 08:07 PM. Reason: added information
Old 03-26-2010, 08:12 PM   #8
AbominableDavid
Enthusiast

I think I've got it fixed - I didn't know capitalization was important.

I had this link in each of my chapters:
Code:
The Folder/File structure in the zip file, though, was Styles/Styles0001.css.

Once I changed the case of the two S's in my link, everything worked in ADE. I'm assuming it will look right on by 505, too - I'm off to test that now.

Thanks for the help!
Old 03-26-2010, 08:21 PM   #9
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think I've got it fixed - I didn't know capitalization was important.

I had this link in each of my chapters:
Code:
The Folder/File structure in the zip file, though, was Styles/Styles0001.css.

Once I changed the case of the two S's in my link, everything worked in ADE. I'm assuming it will look right on by 505, too - I'm off to test that now.

Thanks for the help!
That actually sounds like a possible bug in Sigil. It should have updated the link.

Create an issue on the tracker with the file attached. Don't forget to add the "Private" label so only you and I can see it, since you've said your not comfortable with making it publicly available.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:27 PM   #10
AbominableDavid
Enthusiast

I manually added the original link to the stylesheet - I didn't notice if Sigil did it or not. I don't really think it's a bug with Sigil, but I'll still create the issue if you still want me to.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:16 PM   #11
Valloric

Quote:
I manually added the original link to the stylesheet - I didn't notice if Sigil did it or not. I don't really think it's a bug with Sigil, but I'll still create the issue if you still want me to.
Then there's probably no need, but do it anyway. You never know.