Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-21-2009, 09:50 PM   #1
ruchti
ruchti began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
New to Calibre... TOC question

I'm new to Calibre and really pleased that the programs works well with my Kindle (which I'm also new to), but I've run into a problem. I searched the FAQ and other forums and haven't found the solution, so hopefully I'm not repeating too much here...

I'm running Calibre on a Mac and using it to keep track of my downloaded non-DRM books (from here, manybooks, etc) in .prc format. However, the metadata is horrible, so I'm using Calibre to correct it and then transfer to my Kindle. After editing the data in Calibre, converting to MOBI, and then transferring the book to my Kindle, the metadata looks great, but the table of contents doesn't work. It's there, but when I click on a chapter, it just links back to first page of the book. The same thing is happening after conversion when I try to view the book in the Calibre viewer.

Here's the process I've been using:

1) Add the .prc book to Calibre
2) Edit the metadata
3) Convert to MOBI (I've reversed steps 2 and 3, same problem)
4) Save to Disk and Send to Device

Any suggestions to help retain the functional TOC would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Jonathan
ruchti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:58 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
You probably found a bug in calibre.

May be not. Try changing the settings for TOC creation next time you convert.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2009, 10:31 PM   #3
ruchti

Thanks for the reply. I've tried most of the chapter settings (like auto-generate TOC) in the conversion settings, but I get the same result. I noticed the conversion to MOBI adds the table of contents at the end of the book, but even the links here are broken and just take me back to the cover page. Maybe a problem with MOBI in general? Not sure.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:18 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
does the table of contents work in the original prc file?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:46 AM   #5
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
I just assumed that this was something you had to live with. I've converted a half-dozen or so Mobi books from Mobileread, just to get the metadata right. It works terrifically at that, and even centers titles, which I didn't expect. Using the Kindle's menu, you can go to the toc, but none of the them work. When you click on the link, it just takes you back to the cover page of the book. This applies as well to the one Calibre generates at the back of the book. And yes, these toc's work in the original books.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2009, 12:56 AM   #6
ruchti

Ditto, Jim. They work fine in the originals.

I don't mind the issue with novels, but I have a lot of larger collections (books within books like Plato's work) where a functional TOC is pretty much needed.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:29 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
open ze ticket and attach ze file
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:07 PM   #8
ruchti

Done!

http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/ticket/2129

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:41 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Fixed for Kindle but still broken for Sony PRS-505

This bug seems to have been fixed for Mobi files and the TOCs work fine on the Kindle. However, TOCs are still broken when Calibre converts to ePub. On the Sony all the links point to page 1.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:12 PM   #10
O.S.F
O.S.F is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2/DX
Just want to add to this thread that the TOC for Mobi file works great, but if you create a hyperlink (say, to go to next chapter) it will go to the top of the book instead. Using the same source to convert using BookDesigner or MobileCreator works fine, but it's not as handy.

Logged as a bug.
O.S.F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:53 PM   #11
artbatista
Groupie
artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
open ze ticket and attach ze file
What gives? I asked the very same question here and you told me: "You need to fine tune the detection of the table of contents". I found out after that, that only some TOC work in the end result ePUB.

I have tried and I can't seem to get a working TOC from most MOBI books that DO have a working TOC.

The infuriating part is that it seems hit and miss. Some work and some do not. I have looked at the html til my eyes bleed and I can't see why that is.

I also have come across a problem where some MOBI books are converted, but only parts of the book make it to the final epub, I will start another ticket for that and attach a sample.

Cheers

Art

I will start a ticket and attach an example.
artbatista is offline   Reply With Quote