Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Calibre Stops Working Windows 8

I got a new computer, with Windows 8, and of course the first thing I did was download the 64 bit version of Calibre. Pointed it to all my different libraries. Finally, today, I tried to bulk convert (2 books). Calibre stopped working, and Windows said it would let me know if it figured out why. So I turned off Heuristic processing, thinking maybe that consumed too many resources. Still crashed. So I restarted, thinking that might help. Same behavior. Is there a special setting for Windows 8 that would make Calibre more stable?

Thanks to everyone who helps on this forum!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:20 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I got a new computer, with Windows 8, and of course the first thing I did was download the 64 bit version of Calibre. Pointed it to all my different libraries. Finally, today, I tried to bulk convert (2 books). Calibre stopped working, and Windows said it would let me know if it figured out why. So I turned off Heuristic processing, thinking maybe that consumed too many resources. Still crashed. So I restarted, thinking that might help. Same behavior. Is there a special setting for Windows 8 that would make Calibre more stable?

Thanks to everyone who helps on this forum!
Did you try with a LOCAL (disk) Library?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If I understand, I should have the library on the same disc as Calibre. I do
Old 03-17-2013, 12:15 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....s-occasionally
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:13 AM   #5
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Thanks, Kovid. I have found I can only convert books one at a time. I will give 32 bit a try. Windows 8 is a curse and a friend! You can't use the Windows 8 version of k4pc, because the books you download are impossible to find! So I had to go back to the old Windows 7 version.
Advert
Old 03-17-2013, 02:23 AM   #6
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Thanks - the 32 bit works like it is supposed to--like a dream!
Old 03-17-2013, 10:37 AM   #7
tuskin
Enthusiast
tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Xiaomi Redmi Note 9, Surface 3
Same here

I can confirm this. Windows 8 64-bit and 64-bit Calibre. Even going to the Bulk convert dialog and Canceling crashes Calibre. Convert individually works.

- tuskin -
tuskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:11 PM   #8
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskin View Post
I can confirm this. Windows 8 64-bit and 64-bit Calibre. Even going to the Bulk convert dialog and Canceling crashes Calibre. Convert individually works.

- tuskin -
It must be a local environment thing as I have no problem with bulk converts here with Win 8 64 bit/Calibre 64 bit.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:14 AM   #9
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
...Windows 8 is a curse and a friend! You can't use the Windows 8 version of k4pc, because the books you download are impossible to find! So I had to go back to the old Windows 7 version.
What Amazon call the "Windows 8" version is, I believe, actually more correctly called the "Modern" (or previously "Metro") version and is oriented to Windows RT devices. What they call the ".../Vista/Windows 7" version is the current correct version for the Windows 8 desktop.

The Modern version works correctly for me and the book files are in the exact same place as for the desktop version K4PC i.e. default location is C:\{username}\My Documents\My Kindle Content and if you buy a book from Amazon using the Modern Kindle app you will see them load into there, just as the K4PC ones do.

BIG BUT. Similarly to many other Modern apps oriented to Windows RT devices and sync'ing across multiple devices, my experience is that it is very cloud oriented - this means that it will ONLY show in its library those books that have been purchased (or free) from Amazon. Other books in the directory I pointed to above (for example, other .mobi books that one may have opened with K4PC) will not appear.

If that is not how yours is working, then you have a local problem or one such as related to your Amazon account.

For Windows 8 PCs for most applications for which a desktop and a Modern version exists, most will find the desktop application more comprehensive than the RT version for mobile devices. And so I use the desktop W4PC but, that said, the Modern Kindle app is very, very nice for reading Amazon sourced books .

Last edited by AnotherCat; 03-18-2013 at 12:17 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
Davy49
Davy49 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi,
I have windows 8 pro version on my laptop, I downloaded/installed the kindle for pc from this page: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000493771
I chose the windows 8 version, because I assumed that would be the 'correct' one for me, since my laptop has windows 8 pro installed on it. My problem is..I purchased a eBook on amazon, I CAN read it using the installed windows for pc/windows 8 edition, but I can't seem to find where my stored copy of the book is located on my laptop. Should I have installed the windows 7,Vista,XP version instead ?
Thanks,
David
Davy49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:58 AM   #11
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I seem to remember that the Windows 8 version of the Kindle app is only designed to use the 'metro' style interface (typically on touch enabled devices). If you want to run using the more traditional desktop interface then use the Windows 7 variant.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #12
Davy49
Davy49 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Dear itimpi,
Thanks so much for a reply..should I un-install the windows 8 version first ?
Thanks,
David
Davy49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:21 PM   #13
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy49 View Post
Dear itimpi,
Thanks,
David
I have no experience so I would only be guessing! I think you could have both versions installed but not sure if you want to bother.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:01 PM   #14
AnotherCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy49 View Post
Dear itimpi,
Thanks,
David
I have earlier responded to your other related thread regarding location of files.

The desktop version for Windows 8 is what Amazon are calling along the lines of the Vista/Windows 7 version. What they are calling the Windows 8 version is the Modern version (aka Metro version).

Keeping here to Amazon names, you do not need to remove the Kindle for Windows 8 version before installing the desktop version and my experience is that they exist fine together and both store files in the same location.

But, my experience (and I believe of some others) is that the Kindle for Windows 8 version is a bit glitchy, the most noticeable to me (in versions up until a week or so ago, at least) is that it seems to only open files one has purchased from Amazon. So if, for example, one has read a non Amazon mobi file with Kindle for PC (which it will put a copy of in its own library folder and that folder is shared with Kindle for Windows 8) Kindle for Windows 8 will not show it as available for reading.