Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-27-2006, 06:42 PM   #1
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
Lookin for One Particular book to make Buying a Reader Worth it

Howdy.

I may be an idiot who cannot use google to find my own...anatomy, but I have looked high and low for a book that I absoluteyl love as an e-text. Was wondering fi there is anyone here who can guide me in the right direction.

The book is _On the Road_ by Jack Kerouac.

None of his works seem to be avaible in any format. Anyone have any idea why that is, or where to find his stuff?

Thanks in advance
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 11:34 AM   #2
monkeywrench
Connoisseur
monkeywrench began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
Howdy.

I may be an idiot who cannot use google to find my own...anatomy, but I have looked high and low for a book that I absoluteyl love as an e-text. Was wondering fi there is anyone here who can guide me in the right direction.

The book is _On the Road_ by Jack Kerouac.

None of his works seem to be avaible in any format. Anyone have any idea why that is, or where to find his stuff?

Thanks in advance
I too am a fan of Kerouac's work. I have read nearly everything that I can find that he wrote. I have been waiting for his work to come out in electronic form since about the time that the Microsoft Reader software came about. They do have one of his works available in .Lit format although it is definitely not one of his best pieces. Its called Orpheus Emerged

Most of the Kerouac stuff that I have is published by Penguin and there are plenty of Penguin books on Connect. I will drop them a line and see if I get any feedback.

I would also like to see them release some of their Portable Reader series in electronic format. It would be nice to be able to take along several of these and be able to get a quick 10-15 minute fix of a writers best stuff.

I am becoming more optimistic as I see some of my favorite authors pop up every now and again on Connect. Recently I noticed that connect added 4 or 5 books by Charles Buckowski. They have also added One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey. Heck, I just looked and Connect even has a couple of titles by Hunter S. Thompson.

Anyway, if you are interested you should be able to convert the one Kerouac title that is available. Let me know if you have any luck finding anything else.
monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 07:45 AM   #3
andyafro
Connoisseur
andyafro doesn't litterandyafro doesn't litter

Device: sony reader prs-500
i found your book at scibd the link is [Deleted]
andyafro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 09:46 AM   #4
monkeywrench
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyafro View Post
i found your book at scibd the link is [Deleted]
Thats great andyafro although it's not legal as that book is still under copyright. I don't want to kick off another legal/ethical discussion as there are already plenty here.

Thanks for taking the time to look and find it though.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:15 AM   #5
Mikou
Zealot
Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Amazon Fire 10, Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura One
Andyafro, as monkeywrench said, the book is under copyright, so this free version is a copyright violation. This can get you in trouble on the site (because illegal filesharing is not allowed) and it can get the whole site in trouble. It would probably be best if you delete the links in your post as soon as you can.
Mikou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 10:31 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Links to illegal material have been deleted. Do you want to get MobileRead shut down???
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:27 AM   #7
andyafro
Connoisseur
andyafro doesn't litterandyafro doesn't litter

Device: sony reader prs-500
sorry still learning folks i thought scribd was a legal site so thought it would ok
andyafro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:29 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Not to worry. No harm done.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:38 PM   #9
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
... Do you want to get MobileRead shut down???...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 06:17 PM   #10
monkeywrench
Connoisseur

Well I finally got a response back from Penguin on the possibility of Jack Kerouac titles being released in Ebook format. Here is their reply:

Thank you for your inquiry. We do not have plans at the moment to publish Jack Kerouac books in electronic book format, however, should our plans change, title information will be posted on our web site.

We appreciate the many questions, comments, suggestions, and ideas that are submitted by our readers and are happy to share them with our Editorial, Publicity, Sales and Marketing departments. Because of the volume of mail received, we cannot guarantee that you will receive a personal response, however, we will certainly forward your comments to them for review.
Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

It was worth a try.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:50 PM   #11
monkeywrench
Connoisseur

What a big surprise! Less than one week after Penguin sent me an email saying that there were no plans to publish any of the Jack Kerouac titles in electronic book format I find The Dharma Bums under Featured Titles on the front page of the Connect site:

http://ebooks.connect.com/author/469/24/46924.html

Hopefully this is a sign of things to come.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:47 PM   #12
jlrjd
jlrjd began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
This may be OBE, since you are probably already aware of it, but "On the Road" (or at least a version of it) is now available at Fictionwise.

Here's the link: http://fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook49673.htm
jlrjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:04 PM   #13
jlrjd
jlrjd began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
The book you wanted is now available.

I don't know why, but it looks as though my post has disappeared.

"On the Road" is now available on fictionwise in Microsoft Reader or eReader format.

Here's the link:
http://fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook49673.htm

Hope this helps.
jlrjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:17 PM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Sorry 'bout that, jlrjd, sometimes the spam filter is a bit overzealous (we get a fair amount of spam here, and it's pretty good about keeping it away from the users, but sometimes it gets a bit too excited). You shouldn't have any more trouble with it now that you've posted several times.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:44 PM   #15
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
It's also on eReader at $23.26 newsletter price.

I wonder what differences there are between "The Original Scroll" and what you'd buy in paperback....
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote