Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-07-2010, 06:24 AM   #1
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Lightbulb Safe to gift Sony reader to my younger sister?

I just read Sony touchscreen E-reader uses infrared to track touchscreen activity by sides of screen. I wanted to gift one of such readers to my sister on her birthday, she is 10. She is surely gonna spend whole day on reading, she is voracious reader. Is it safe?
Or should I gift her any other reader? Plz suggest.
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:25 AM   #2
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
Why would it not be safe? It isn't like she will sit there with her hand on the screen, and even if she did I do not know of any studies that infrared is harmful.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:31 AM   #3
yakuzaboss
Groupie
yakuzaboss is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-650
The Sony Reader would be a a great gift for your sister.
yakuzaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:34 PM   #4
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Don't! It will trap her hand like a bear trap and devour her by inches

If she is mature enough to take care of an expensive piece of equipment, then go for it. She'll thank you every time she reads...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:20 PM   #5
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post
Why would it not be safe? It isn't like she will sit there with her hand on the screen, and even if she did I do not know of any studies that infrared is harmful.

It is! Never sit next to a person, or cat, or dog, or any mammal or avian for that matter! Ectotherms give off infrared radiation like nobody's business!

You've been warned!

(and for the irony impaired, yes, I am kidding)
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:29 PM   #6
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
It is! Never sit next to a person, or cat, or dog, or any mammal or avian for that matter! Ectotherms give off infrared radiation like nobody's business!

You've been warned!
warmed!?

Quote:
(and for the irony impaired, yes, I am kidding)
Wouldn't that be sarcasm?
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:56 PM   #7
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Don't laugh-- I had a 10-year-old cousin who died when a friend accidentally shot him with a remote control that some fool had left lying around.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:00 PM   #8
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
...I would wait until she is a bit older...

Not because of the infra red, but because liseuses are still a bit fragile. The screen breaks easily.
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:27 PM   #9
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I would have been responsible at 10 to take care of an ereader while others would not. I suppose that judgment about your sister is up to you. Perhaps you should consider to also gift her a cover to help her keep her ereader protected and remind her not to put it at the bottom of her bookbag.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:34 PM   #10
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I would have been responsible at 10 to take care of an ereader while others would not. I suppose that judgment about your sister is up to you. Perhaps you should consider to also gift her a cover to help her keep her ereader protected and remind her not to put it at the bottom of her bookbag.
My childhood toys looks like they haven't been touched. Even as a child I took good care of my possessions, and I would have loved a reader at age 10 and would probably have treated it like gold. My husband, who is in his 30's, dings up his cell phones within a month. If your sister takes good care of her possessions, I say treat her to a Sony reader. She will love it.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:45 PM   #11
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salgueiros View Post
...I would wait until she is a bit older...

Not because of the infra red, but because liseuses are still a bit fragile. The screen breaks easily.
Fortunately, though liseuses are fragile, e-readers aren't so much. Any 10-year-old who can take care of, say, a Nintendo DS without breaking it can handle an e-reader. I would have killed for one at 10.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:53 PM   #12
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Fortunately, though liseuses are fragile, e-readers aren't so much. Any 10-year-old who can take care of, say, a Nintendo DS without breaking it can handle an e-reader. I would have killed for one at 10.
I don't think you can compare the screen of a Nintendo with a liseuse, Nintendo is more robust.

And the Nintendo can be closed as a sturdy plastic box. The leather covers for the current liseuses do not offer the same protection.

Last edited by Salgueiros; 10-07-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:55 PM   #13
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
I would have killed for one at 10.
I did kill for one, shortly after I ordered a case of Fava beans and some chi-yan-ti. . .
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:51 PM   #14
SaraD
Groupie
SaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with others

Device: Sony 650, Basic Kindle 7th generation
When I was about 13 my brother's friend (the boys were 9) asked him if his sister was born old because I was more responsible than the babysitter watching us. I still have the David Eddings books that I bought starting around age 11. The covers and spines are pristine to this day even after 2 international moves and several domestic ones. I also still have the dolphin and killer whale figurines that I chose as souvineers from the 2 amusement parks my family went to in Germany when I was 7 and 8 years old. No chips, cracks, or other damage and they were not "kept" for when I was "old enough". All the glass or ceramic figurines I was given as a very small child were mine to dust and arrange on the special shelf I had for displaying them.

So yes, some kids do well at a very young age with delicate things and have a responsibilty level high enough to understand what has been given to them. I would, however, remind such a child about showing or sharing such an object with friends who may not appreciate it. Go for it!
SaraD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:31 PM   #15
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Smile Thanks

Thank you all for your comments. I did some googling and found infrared used in ereaders is not harmful. I am gonna gift her Sony PRS 600.
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children, infrared, safety, sony