Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 10:01 PM   #1456
Linwe
Enthusiast
Linwe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle & Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
Huh. The author actually put that in the story title.

In your personal.ini, you can add:
Code:
[destinysgateway.com]
replace_metadata:
 title=> +[*]+Hard Smut[*]+=>
THANK YOU!

And yeah, I thought putting such a thing in the title a little redundant consider the rating (and description) is usually enough warning, but to each their own.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:10 AM   #1457
Jade Aislin
Groupie
Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Auro H2O, PRS-T1
Quote:
Well, my first reaction is call that a bug in AO3. That's not just a corner case, it's a corner in a cupboard in a closet. (...in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "Beware of The Leopard".)

Try this version. After asking about updating the URL, if you click no, it will offer to add it as a new book. I just don't see this happening enough to justify making a special skip/update/add dialog box for it (instead of using the built-in yes/no box.)
I just ran into 10 different stories that were all different stories. That was five cases of an author using the same title for different stories. That didn't include the instances when the author seemed to have submitted the same story twice. So it seems to be happening more than I would have thought which is why I asked about it.

I tried the new version and it didn't even ask me about duplicates. It simply downloaded all the stories. When I tried to download one of the stories using its FFN version afterwards, it refused to download the story and gave me this error:

More than one identical book by Identifer URL or title/author(s)--can't tell which book to update/overwrite.

The two urls were:
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3772039/1/
http://archiveofourown.org/works/197898
Old 06-04-2013, 04:52 PM   #1458
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Aislin View Post
I tried the new version and it didn't even ask me about duplicates. It simply downloaded all the stories.
FFDL doesn't try to detect matching title/author if you give it the URLs at the same time. It only compares the URLs themselves (so it doesn't download exactly the same thing more than once) and against what's already in the library.

Quote:
When I tried to download one of the stories using its FFN version afterwards, it refused to download the story and gave me this error:

More than one identical book by Identifer URL or title/author(s)--can't tell which book to update/overwrite.
You have more than one book already in your library with the same identifier or the same title/author. FFDL doesn't have any way to know which one you mean to up date, so it bails out.

Instead, update by identical URL, or by explicitly selecting the book. If you really want a third version of the same title/author, use 'Add New' instead of update.

Using matching title/author to indicate the same story from different sites and allowing different stories with the same title/author at the same time is inevitably going to cause problems--the two ideas are fundamentally in conflict.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:42 PM   #1459
Jade Aislin
Groupie
Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Quote:
FFDL doesn't try to detect matching title/author if you give it the URLs at the same time. It only compares the URLs themselves (so it doesn't download exactly the same thing more than once) and against what's already in the library.
It took me a few reads to understand what you said. Sorry, I'm a little tired today. It makes sense that it doesn't look at title/author until it's already in the library. So, I placed one of the stories in question into the library and tested the others.

Quote:
You have more than one book already in your library with the same identifier or the same title/author. FFDL doesn't have any way to know which one you mean to up date, so it bails out.
I was confused because before it would ask me if I wanted to update the story with the new url. It didn't give me the error in the last few tests however.

Quote:
Using matching title/author to indicate the same story from different sites and allowing different stories with the same title/author at the same time is inevitably going to cause problems--the two ideas are fundamentally in conflict.
I can see that. I don't really want the same story from two different site. However, I've run into a few authors who use the same (or similar) title for two different stories. When the stories are different I do want to have both of them.

When I tested the new FFDL version, I was able to download the other story. However, it wouldn't ask me about other similar stories if I had already told it to download the new url as a new book.

For example:

I had this story already in the library: http://archiveofourown.org/works/208226

I then tried to download these three stories:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/197898
http://archiveofourown.org/works/208226
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3772039/1/

After telling it to download a new book for the first URL (197898), it downloaded new books for all the urls, including (208226) which was already in the libary. If I told it not to download a new book, it would continue to check other similar stories and ask about updating those.

I'm not sure if you want to try tweaking it more. It will work for my purposes. If I have to, I can go through and look for duplicates books that could appear. I am more concerned with getting all the books of my favorite authors, even when they use the same title for different books.

Thanks.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:57 PM   #1460
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
After telling it to download a new book for the first URL (197898), it downloaded new books for all the urls, including (208226) which was already in the libary. If I told it not to download a new book, it would continue to check other similar stories and ask about updating those.
Add New Book mode always adds new books. It doesn't look at what's already in the library.

Quote:
I'm not sure if you want to try tweaking it more. It will work for my purposes. If I have to, I can go through and look for duplicates books that could appear. I am more concerned with getting all the books of my favorite authors, even when they use the same title for different books.
Is the new 'add as a new book' check after the 'update URL'->No check worth keeping?
Old 06-04-2013, 10:09 PM   #1461
Jade Aislin
Groupie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Add New Book mode always adds new books. It doesn't look at what's already in the library.
My only concern was that it would add books that had not been compared once it was selected. Once you added one new book, it added all the urls. However, I considered that a minor inconvenience.

Quote:
Is the new 'add as a new book' check after the 'update URL'->No check worth keeping?
Yes, I think it is. It allows me to grab stories from the same author that have similar or same titles. Before it would either update the old story or refuse to add the new one which meant I would lose one of the stories. I'll just have to be careful of duplicate stories.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:21 PM   #1462
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
My only concern was that it would add books that had not been compared once it was selected. Once you added one new book, it added all the urls. However, I considered that a minor inconvenience.
If you select mode "Add New Book" and give it three URLs, you're telling it add a new book for each. I suppose I could make it "Add New Books" if it's unclear.

Quote:
Yes, I think it is. It allows me to grab stories from the same author that have similar or same titles. Before it would either update the old story or refuse to add the new one which meant I would lose one of the stories. I'll just have to be careful of duplicate stories.
Okay. I'll keep that for the next version.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:17 PM   #1463
Jade Aislin
Groupie

Quote:
If you select mode "Add New Book" and give it three URLs, you're telling it add a new book for each. I suppose I could make it "Add New Books" if it's unclear.
You could include a warning that the rest of the urls will be downloaded as new books. The way it is stated now makes it seem like it will only add that url as the new story.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:36 PM   #1464
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
You could include a warning that the rest of the urls will be downloaded as new books. The way it is stated now makes it seem like it will only add that url as the new story.
I have to disagree. Why would the 'If Story Already Exists?' setting apply only to the first URL in the list? If you change 'Output Format' do you expect it to apply to only the first one?

If you have suggestions on how to change the wording of the label, drop downs or tooltip to be more clear, I'm interested in hearing them. But I don't want to add another warning popup.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:32 AM   #1465
Jade Aislin
Groupie

Quote:
I have to disagree. Why would the 'If Story Already Exists?' setting apply only to the first URL in the list? If you change 'Output Format' do you expect it to apply to only the first one?
I'm not sure I understand. If I run into a story that FFDL deems similar to one in the library and I tell it to update the story, it will update any other story that it deems similar to other stories in the library? I thought it would compare each new story (URL) that I try to add with what is in the library separately. Of course, I don't really understand the inner workings of the plugin.

Let me explain what I am seeing.

I have these two stories in my library:
Edge - http://archiveofourown.org/works/197898
Zodiac - http://archiveofourown.org/works/208465

I then try to add these two stories:
The Edge - http://archiveofourown.org/works/208226
Zodiac - http://archiveofourown.org/works/208466

Both of these stories would ask me if I wanted to update the stories I already have. However, if I tell it to add the first story (The Edge) as a new book, it automatically adds the second. I never get the chance to compare the two stories called Zodiac. This can mean that I get books that have the same story. But I can always go back through looking for duplicates.

Quote:
If you have suggestions on how to change the wording of the label, drop downs or tooltip to be more clear, I'm interested in hearing them. But I don't want to add another warning popup.
I didn't mean to add another popup. I meant to add the warning to the new 'add as a new book' check after the 'update URL'->No check.

Sorry for any confusion.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:26 PM   #1466
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Okay, now I understand what you're saying. I thought you talking about changing the mode to 'Add New' in the initial dialog. I didn't clue in that you were talking about the 'Add New' popup check.

I'll look into it later today.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #1467
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Okay, this version addresses Jade's last issue.

UPDATE Jul 15, 2013 Remove obsolete beta versions

Last edited by JimmXinu; 07-15-2013 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Remove obsolete beta versions
Old 06-06-2013, 09:10 AM   #1468
Jade Aislin
Groupie

Quote:
Okay, this version addresses Jade's last issue.
That worked great! I don't see any problems.

Thanks.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:54 PM   #1469
KayLee
Zealot
KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST & iPad Air2
For some reason every time a use this FFD now it says error 1 chapter complete and all other chapters failed but when I look scroll through the book all the chapters are there it's fine anybody know what the error is about? also the default cover isn't being generated does update epub cover need to be cecked?
Old 06-07-2013, 10:05 PM   #1470
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayLee View Post
For some reason every time a use this FFD now it says error 1 chapter complete and all other chapters failed but when I look scroll through the book all the chapters are there it's fine anybody know what the error is about? also the default cover isn't being generated does update epub cover need to be cecked?
It's working fine for me.

If you're still having problems, please post story URL(s) that show the problem. Even better would be a copy of the 'View Log' text from the 'proceed with updating your library' dialog, and (ideally), the debug output from using FFDL after running calibre with "calibre-debug -g" from a command line prompt.
Closed Thread