Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 05-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #1
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
First impressions PocketBook Touch 2 Lux 623

Dear fellow Mobileraders.

I have finally received the front lit PocketBook touch 623.
I do not know how to call it, because the PocketBook company itself uses different names, such as PocketBook Touch 2, PocketBook Touch Lux, PocketBook 623. But they are all the same device (as long they do not have "color" in the name).

From outside the device is identical to the older model PocketBook Touch 622.
The display is HD and is front-lit.
The firmware 4.1 is clearly based on previous models. It seems to be better adapted to touch screen.

The front-light is not as nice as on my PaperWhite. There is very narrow uneven brighter area at the upper edge of the screen and there is shadow at the bottom. The shadow at the bottom reaches to the half of the status line in the book.
I personally perceive the light to be worse than on PaperWhite and better than on Nook.

Last edited by kacir; 05-26-2013 at 06:31 AM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Dear fellow Mobileraders.

I have finally received the front lit PocketBook touch 623.
I do not know how to call it, because the PocketBook company itself uses different names, such as PocketBook Touch 2, PocketBook Touch Lux, PocketBook 623. But they are all the same device (as long they do not have "color" in the name.

From outside the device is identical to the older model PocketBook Touch 622.
The display is HD and is front-lit.
The firmware 4.1 is clearly based on previous models. It seems to be better adapted to touch screen.

The front-light is not as nice as on my PaperWhite. There is very narrow uneven brighter area at the upper edge of the screen and there is shadow at the bottom. The shadow at the bottom reaches to the half of the status line in the book.
I personally perceive the light to be worse than on PaperWhite and better than on Nook.
thanks Kacir - so the major difference is only the light? is the HD making the text sharper?
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:41 AM   #3
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
thanks Kacir - so the major difference is only the light? is the HD making the text sharper?
I have been reading on my PB360 for the last four years and I have been using Kindle Paperwhite alongside my old, trusty, ultra-pocketable PB360 since last November. PB360 has 5" screen with 600x800 pixels so it has 200dpi. So I am used to HD ;-)

I will try to borrow PB622 for comparison.
I will have to see what are the changes in the newest firmware compared to stock PB622 firmware. The user interface has changed substantially. In the old models it was optimized for the 5 way D-pad, and even the 603 kept its D-pad, so they had no need to change the firmware.

It seems that the new firmware is closely based on the "Pro" line firmware (that started with 2.0), because Poterm terminal emulator, version for Pro models, runs. It is very difficult to touch the command insert area so you can get the on-screen keyboard, but I managed to use it yesterday. I will have to have a look at how is the touch calibrated. I suspect it is a little bit mis-calibrated, because when I am selecting text it is a hit-and-miss.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:51 AM   #4
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks Kacir, this is very helpful - pity for the light, it would be good to know whether this is a one off on your device, or whether it is a general issue. Have you thought about returning it?
Old 05-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #5
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
@Kanalratte from the german forum also reports the light to be a bit uneven in the upper portion of the screen and fading out towards the bottom so I don't think this is unique
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:01 AM   #6
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by troll05 View Post
@Kanalratte from the german forum also reports the light to be a bit uneven in the upper portion of the screen and fading out towards the bottom so I don't think this is unique
mmh, this is disappointing. On the other hand, if I understood it right it did take Kobo a couple of versions to get the Glo right. The problem is, the Touch Lux sells at a premium, and at this point it is not clear whether the non-lux version isn't better value for money.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:13 AM   #7
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
... it would be good to know whether this is a one off on your device, or whether it is a general issue.
It is difficult to describe the uneven area at the top (and I do not have camera good enough to make a realistic picture of the lit screen in low-light conditions).It is not catastrophic, or too distracting. I had worse impression of the Nook Simple Touch Glow when I saw it on several occasions in N&B stores, and yet, there are lots of very happy NST Glow owners.

You have to understand, that so far there is no perfect light on any of the devices that I have seen in person (or at least on pictures). The majority of the screen on Touch Lux is nice and evenly lit, so the text is nicely readable. I personally prefer to read without the front-light(*) if I can use outside lighting, such as reading lamp. When I have to use the frontlight (even on my PaperWhite) I tend to use as low level as possible. At the low levels, the shadows at the bottom (the same level Paperwhite has) and the uneven area at the top isn't that bad.

I do not think this is problem with only my unit, I have seen a picture on the net with the same problem.
Scroll down on following page:
http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewt...r=asc&start=40
You have to understand that the picture you find at the above link - at russian PocketBook forum, is exaggerated. I think that this is light running at full power in dimly lit environment, because the un-even area is difficult to photograph.

Quote:
Have you thought about returning it?
The other features the reader has are so great - the usual PocketBook goodness - that I am going to keep it.

(*) this was the main reason I purchased the first e-ink device, and my perception of lit screens for reading hasn't changed.
Strange thing is, I spend LOTS of time working and browsing the net on PC, and for that purpose I do not mind the 24 inch LCD monitor.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:09 PM   #8
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
SIRSteiner from german forum gets a LUX from PB company (i.e.Forkosigan) so he can develop the Crystal theme for the 623. Should be a week or so...
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:46 PM   #9
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by troll05 View Post
SIRSteiner from german forum gets a LUX from PB company (i.e.Forkosigan) so he can develop the Crystal theme for the 623. Should be a week or so...
This is great news.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #10
paola
Wizard

Quote:
The other features the reader has are so great - the usual PocketBook goodness - that I am going to keep it.
enjoy it then! I agree that the light is a nice bonus, but "just" a bonus. Still, it would be nice if it were even..
Old 05-27-2013, 04:53 PM   #11
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
I agree that the light is a nice bonus, but "just" a bonus. Still, it would be nice if it were even..
It is much more even than any other lighting source that can be used on the road or in a tent in camp. All the *text* area is lit nicely. The bottom shadows do not bother me at all. The uneven area in the top with its brighter dashes is more distracting, but when I keep the light at low level (which I do even on PaperWhite) not bad.

I have already installed poterm terminal emulator and vftpd ftp server, and I am going through Russian and German forums like I did during the "Good Old Times" when PB360 was the king. This time the situation is aggravated by the fact that PocketBook doesn't sell their devices in USA, so there are fewer English speaking PB owners.

I wish they created a five inch version with lit screen in PB360 style ... sigh. It is SO convenient being able to slip it into a pocket ...
As far as I am aware, there is no lit five inch device on the market.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:31 AM   #12
edge71
Enthusiast
edge71 can read faster than his screen refreshesedge71 can read faster than his screen refreshesedge71 can read faster than his screen refreshesedge71 can read faster than his screen refreshesedge71 can read faster than his screen refreshesedge71 can read faster than his screen refreshesedge71 can read faster than his screen refreshesedge71 can read faster than his screen refreshesedge71 can read faster than his screen refreshesedge71 can read faster than his screen refreshesedge71 can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Inkpad3
A video review of Michael Sonntag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXoY5bRk5Xs
edge71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:14 PM   #13
paola
Wizard

Quote:
I wish they created a five inch version with lit screen in PB360 style ... sigh. It is SO convenient being able to slip it into a pocket ...
As far as I am aware, there is no lit five inch device on the market.
yes, I think it would be so very successful! I read somehwere that Pocketbook may launch another 5" device in the summer, but I have to confess I am not holding my breath... though I am still hopeful!
Old 05-29-2013, 03:48 AM   #14
Hekse-Mie
Boekenwurm
Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 623, 903 & 603, 360+, Sony 600, Irex Iliad
Last week I ordered a Pb 623 Touch Lux, which arrived yesterday.
I agree with what Kacir says about the front-light, but though a bit uneven at top and bottom, nothing that bothers me neither. I can only compare the light with the Kobo Glo. The front-light of the KG is more even, but also a bit shadowy at the bottom.
I installed Coolreader (newest version) on the 623, and as far as I can tell, CR works nicely. Because I couldn't find the original CR software, I copied CR from my PB 603 to my 623.

I'm also keeping my fingers crossed for a front-lit five inch PB device
Hekse-Mie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:50 AM   #15
edge71
Enthusiast
edge71 can read faster than his screen refreshesedge71 can read faster than his screen refreshesedge71 can read faster than his screen refreshesedge71 can read faster than his screen refreshesedge71 can read faster than his screen refreshesedge71 can read faster than his screen refreshesedge71 can read faster than his screen refreshesedge71 can read faster than his screen refreshesedge71 can read faster than his screen refreshesedge71 can read faster than his screen refreshesedge71 can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Inkpad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hekse-Mie View Post
Last week I ordered a Pb 623 Touch Lux, which arrived yesterday.
I agree with what Kacir says about the front-light, but though a bit uneven at top and bottom, nothing that bothers me neither. I can only compare the light with the Kobo Glo. The front-light of the KG is more even, but also a bit shadowy at the bottom.
I installed Coolreader (newest version) on the 623, and as far as I can tell, CR works nicely. Because I couldn't find the original CR software, I copied CR from my PB 603 to my 623.

I'm also keeping my fingers crossed for a front-lit five inch PB device
A little question. I have a PB603 and yesterday arrives my new PB623.
Can you send me the new version of CR for 622?
Dictionaries do they work with the touch screen? I read in somewhere that in CR dictionaries don't work in touch screens (PB622, PB623).

Thanks
edge71 is offline   Reply With Quote