Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-28-2013, 03:01 AM   #46
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
--- since Firefox started turning into a CPU hog.
I have noticed that too.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:14 AM   #47
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Warning: Off topic

Shouldn't that be 'pedantic?'

Stitchawl
Pendantric is doing Tantric Yoga, but being very picky about it.

Look it up.

(note: saying "Look it up" generally means "I'm just making this up.")

QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:34 PM   #48
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
cromag

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Just to explain, Microsoft's automatic updates are automatic. But ...

As a result of a pretty dramatic malware attack a few years ago I "hardened" my Windows computer. In addition to the usual anti-virus, anti-malware, firewall systems I have several other security programs, including Secunia PSI, which warns me of outdated or insecure versions of software. There have been a few times that Secunia picked up a Microsoft product that didn't have the latest patch. Presumably I would have eventually gotten an automatic update -- but I updated manually rather than wait. For those manual updates I manually called up IE.
I had this major crash of IE 7 and had to have this Microsoft "level 2" tech do a remote assistance thing to fix it--and it took weeks! (and $100) But anyway, addressing what she said, she said it wasn't good to combine security programs. She said Microsoft Essentials was plenty. But then--interestingly--when she ran a scan she used Malware Bytes (but then she un-installed it when she was done and told me I should do the same thing.) Personally I would have Malware Bytes and probably a few other things on there, but so far I have been following her advice. Any thoughts?
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:18 PM   #49
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
I had this major crash of IE 7 and had to have this Microsoft "level 2" tech do a remote assistance thing to fix it--and it took weeks! (and $100) But anyway, addressing what she said, she said it wasn't good to combine security programs. She said Microsoft Essentials was plenty. But then--interestingly--when she ran a scan she used Malware Bytes (but then she un-installed it when she was done and told me I should do the same thing.) Personally I would have Malware Bytes and probably a few other things on there, but so far I have been following her advice. Any thoughts?
It's generally a bad idea to mix multiple anti-virus programs - they tend to identify each other as malware, because AV programs have to hook in to the operating system at a very deep level, in some of the same ways that malware does.

I don't believe MB actually counts as an AV program in that sense, though. It seems to be more of a supplement to AV, and seems to get along with most AV OK. Milegage varies, of course.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:44 PM   #50
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Never run more than one Anti-virus program. Mine is Avast. MBAM and Avast get along just fine. I was using this combination long before Microsoft came out with their Essentials and saw no reason to change -- although I've never heard anything bad about it.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:56 PM   #51
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I like Chrome, but it doesn't support a minimum font size which is important to me. I installed a plugin to do that, but there was a couple seconds lag between the page loading and it reformatting, which was the deal breaker. Otherwise, it's a pretty decent browser.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:00 PM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
since Firefox started turning into a CPU hog
I'm running Firefox 19.x and it's not a CPU hog. It could be a plugin you've installed doing it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:57 PM   #53
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I like Chrome, but it doesn't support a minimum font size which is important to me. I installed a plugin to do that, but there was a couple seconds lag between the page loading and it reformatting, which was the deal breaker. Otherwise, it's a pretty decent browser.
You sure about that? Go to chrome://settings/ and then expand the show advanced settings section; look for Web Content; select the Customize Fonts button, and then the Minimum font size slider.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:04 PM   #54
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
It's generally a bad idea to mix multiple anti-virus programs - they tend to identify each other as malware, because AV programs have to hook in to the operating system at a very deep level, in some of the same ways that malware does.

I don't believe MB actually counts as an AV program in that sense, though. It seems to be more of a supplement to AV, and seems to get along with most AV OK. Milegage varies, of course.
Yeah, I don't want to overcomplicate things. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:06 PM   #55
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Never run more than one Anti-virus program. Mine is Avast. MBAM and Avast get along just fine. I was using this combination long before Microsoft came out with their Essentials and saw no reason to change -- although I've never heard anything bad about it.
thanks cromag. I think a key thing for me is, like you said, 'seeing no reason to change.' There's a part of me that always wants to change everything. I need to chill. Thanks.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:21 AM   #56
Under the Covers
Night Reader
Under the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS-650
I just had to finally jump in. Mostly I lurk, but I know whereof I speak on this (semi-retired business software support).

1. It's perfectly okay on an XP computer to change the default browser from IE to Chrome; it has absolutely no effect on Windows updates. My desktop computer is still running XP (as are my clients' work computers), and my default browser has been Firefox for some years now. What controls your updates are your settings via the Control Panel as to whether you wish to approve them before they're installed. For heaven's sake, change the default browser so you don't have to respond to that message box; nothing else is changed, and it's easily undone down the road if you wish. If you choose to do a manual Windows update, then IE will launch, so no problems there, either.

2. I run, as I've advised my clients to do, one memory-resident anti-malware program (which is not MS Essentials) and two more that are not memory-resident; they are on-call for weekly manual scans. Memory-resident means it is loaded into memory when you boot up and continues to run in the background as you work, and it generally shows up as an icon in the system tray (right side of the Windows taskbar).

The two additional AV programs are Spybot Search & Destroy (de-selecting TeaTimer when installing, which is the memory-resident part) and Malwarebytes free version, which is not memory-resident. This sort of setup has caused no problems whatsoever, and I've avoided malware infection, as there is no one program that can catch every bit of malware out there. I also use Secunia to check for important software updates -- again that is set up to run manually when I ask it to.

3. One forum where you can get just this sort of expert computer input and advice is Windows Secrets at http://windowssecrets.com/forums. There are many others out there; this is just the one I use most. That ol' Google search (or IX Quick, which doesn't track you) is also helpful for computer questions like this, leading to other equally excellent websites. (I hope I'm not breaking any rules by this suggestion -- I have no financial interest in that site and am only a user.)

Hope this helps. Good luck.
Under the Covers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:31 AM   #57
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I have been using Firefox now for many years. However I am finding it is getting increasingly "heavy". This is particularly so in memory usage.

But, I am still not finding enough reasons to make the swap to another browser, even Chrome, which I do have installed.

Firefox with adblock is still a damn fine combination.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:20 AM   #58
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
In the real world I am a professional network administrator and as a part of the job I have encountered a lot of what is been talked about here, each web browser has its good points and its bad points as I have found on the job:

Firefox: Yeah this one to slow down as it consumes clock cycles the newer PCs tend to be a lot better about running Firefox;

IE: This one is generally avoided because its not stable and has a nasty habit of crashing PCs

Safari: Generally avoided as its widely acknowledged as the slowest web browser of them all

Chrome: Our choice for web browsers
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:13 AM   #59
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
thanks cromag. I think a key thing for me is, like you said, 'seeing no reason to change.' There's a part of me that always wants to change everything. I need to chill. Thanks.
So... You need to change your desire to change. But...if you don't change... A mind-boggling conundrum.

As previously mentioned, MBAM seems to play nicely with antivirus. The free version doesn't seem to run anything in the background or add anything to start-up. I can't see any reason to uninstall it.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:26 AM   #60
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
As previously mentioned, MBAM seems to play nicely with antivirus. The free version doesn't seem to run anything in the background or add anything to start-up. I can't see any reason to uninstall it.
To take it even one-step further: I've had the non-free version of MBAM (memory-resident, realtime scanning) running in conjunction with Avast antivirus for several years (on multiple machines) without a single hitch.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-29-2013 at 11:29 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote