Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-21-2011, 07:34 PM   #1
nogrits4me
Enthusiast
nogrits4me can self-interpret dreams as they happen.nogrits4me can self-interpret dreams as they happen.nogrits4me can self-interpret dreams as they happen.nogrits4me can self-interpret dreams as they happen.nogrits4me can self-interpret dreams as they happen.nogrits4me can self-interpret dreams as they happen.nogrits4me can self-interpret dreams as they happen.nogrits4me can self-interpret dreams as they happen.nogrits4me can self-interpret dreams as they happen.nogrits4me can self-interpret dreams as they happen.nogrits4me can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle 3 and Sony 350
lock touch screen

Is there a way to lock just the touch screen on sony ereader 350 and still be able to maneuver around with the buttons? Because when I put my reader in a ziplock bag for protection from water it touches the touch screen and therefore turns pages.
nogrits4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:23 AM   #2
Shelleyleo
Shelleyleo will become famous soon enoughShelleyleo will become famous soon enoughShelleyleo will become famous soon enoughShelleyleo will become famous soon enoughShelleyleo will become famous soon enoughShelleyleo will become famous soon enoughShelleyleo will become famous soon enough

Device: Astak EZReader, Sony PRS-350
I haven't found a way, but I also am eagerly awaiting the answer on this - I do the same thing with dropping my reader in a baggie to protect it from water in the bath/hottub. I can thankfully still use my older reader for this, but it would be nice to use my new one
Shelleyleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:42 AM   #3
nogrits4me
Enthusiast
nogrits4me can self-interpret dreams as they happen.nogrits4me can self-interpret dreams as they happen.nogrits4me can self-interpret dreams as they happen.nogrits4me can self-interpret dreams as they happen.nogrits4me can self-interpret dreams as they happen.nogrits4me can self-interpret dreams as they happen.nogrits4me can self-interpret dreams as they happen.nogrits4me can self-interpret dreams as they happen.nogrits4me can self-interpret dreams as they happen.nogrits4me can self-interpret dreams as they happen.nogrits4me can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle 3 and Sony 350
unfortunately I want to read my library book from overdrive. I can only read library books from my sony because kindle won't allow library lending yet but soon. I found out last night if you poof a little air into the bag so the bag won't touch the screen that sort of helps. The only problem there is moisture from it which is not good. I am going to try using a hand pump and see if that works.
nogrits4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:59 PM   #4
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
IMO this should be an option within the Sony software, to disable the touchscreen for when needed.

Maybe kartu can figure out how to add it to PRS+, that would be super if any way possible.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:28 AM   #5
Shelleyleo
Shelleyleo will become famous soon enoughShelleyleo will become famous soon enoughShelleyleo will become famous soon enoughShelleyleo will become famous soon enoughShelleyleo will become famous soon enoughShelleyleo will become famous soon enoughShelleyleo will become famous soon enough

Device: Astak EZReader, Sony PRS-350
Yeah, I have no issue with having to go in and get into whatever I want to read prior to putting it in a baggie then just using the hardware pageflip buttons, so a PRS+ option to toggle touch on/off - particularly from within a book (since I'm not sure you'd be able to open the book at all without the touchscreen) would be extremely welcome.

I will have to try the trick of just adding a bit of air to the baggie so the bag doesn't touch the screen for now and see if I can get that working myself in the meantime. Otherwise I'll have to just keep my old reader around for that and keep it synced up (which isn't that big of a deal truly, just enough of a hassle to make me want a solution for the 350)
Shelleyleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:36 AM   #6
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
No way to disable touchscreen was found so far. (I bet RCE wizard igorsk could figure it in a couple of hours if not faster) It's not even clear, if it is on or off when reader is connected via USB. Trying ot figure it with camcorder with "night vision" also rendered no results.

Anyway, main idea behind this was to consume less power (touchscreen on x50 should consume quite a bit). "Disabling" touchscreen by software means, i.e. simply ignoring all input is definitely possible and will make it into PRS+, but don't expect it in the next release.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:13 AM   #7
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
That is terrific news, kartu, thanks so much and will watch for it. While flipping pages with a slight thumb movement will always be my preferred way of reading, I can see a few times even when I'd like it turned off, such as when reading outdoors in gardens in summer when bugs start turning pages the wrong direction.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:57 AM   #8
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
That is terrific news, kartu, thanks so much and will watch for it. While flipping pages with a slight thumb movement will always be my preferred way of reading, I can see a few times even when I'd like it turned off, such as when reading outdoors in gardens in summer when bugs start turning pages the wrong direction.
Try a different After-Shave
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:06 PM   #9
Gr11zzly
Gr11zzly began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
No way to disable touchscreen was found so far. (I bet RCE wizard igorsk could figure it in a couple of hours if not faster) It's not even clear, if it is on or off when reader is connected via USB. Trying ot figure it with camcorder with "night vision" also rendered no results.

Anyway, main idea behind this was to consume less power (touchscreen on x50 should consume quite a bit). "Disabling" touchscreen by software means, i.e. simply ignoring all input is definitely possible and will make it into PRS+, but don't expect it in the next release.
I'd like to disable a touch screen during reading only. Its for my father who has a bad tremor and can inadvertently turn pages making him more confused than usual. Love to see if there is progress on this. Thanks
Gr11zzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:16 PM   #10
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
There IS a function making it possible to deactivate the touch screen built in PRS+ since long time. Assign a button to this function (e.g. a long push on one button of your choice) to toggle between activation/deactivating the touch functionality.

A.
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote