Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-09-2010, 12:00 PM   #1
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
Image of Kobo beside Ebookwise 1150?

I've got an Ebookwise 1150 that I've been groovin' for years. I really do enjoy the backlight, but alas, I must admit that the device is showin' it's age a little. The rubber's gone, the battery is showing it's first signs of decline...it's time to consider options further.

The Kobo, bar the back-light, seems to be a good fit (pending the next firmware which, I'm sure, will fix the font stuff, add collections/folders, allow deletion of files from device, etc, etc, etc).

I'm wondering if one of you who now owns a Kobo and also has an Ebookwise, might mind taking some snaps of them beside each other so that I can get an idea of size (for me just using measurements never works well in my imagination)?

Thanks in advance!

guy
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:59 PM   #2
andyberry
andyberry began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Hey guy,
Yep, I'm with you; I'll miss the backlight.
And the slower book loads / page turns of the e-ink devices take some getting used to. Actually, when I compare the two, there's a lot I'll miss about the EB1150; but the epub format is what's pushed me to making the change.
Kobo is roughly same length and width, but waaaay thinner and lighter.
Here are some pics of the two:

-A
andyberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2010, 08:53 PM   #3
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
You got a black one! Nice!!
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:10 PM   #4
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Thanks very much! That's exactly what I was needing. I really appreciate it.

And is as easy to page flip while holding it with one hand (left for me)? The fit in the hand, balance, and button placement were perfect for me on the eBookwise.

As these devices come down, I look forward to seeing them become common in the classroom. I'd love to do a pilot project on reading with them. When my students see me reading on mine during DEAR (Drop Everything and Read) time, they're very keen to learn about it and read on it. I kept some kids books on there for a while that I used to get a couple non-readers reading by letting them borrow it for the 15 minute period.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:45 PM   #5
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
It's really a right handed device but since it is so light it's not impossible to use it left handed.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2010, 08:38 PM   #6
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
I've always held it in my left hand, but I suspect you are right. I shall have to try it that way.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:21 PM   #7
guyanonymous
Guru

After the first firmware update results, I may just swing by the local chapters... Thanks!