Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-10-2010, 09:59 PM   #1
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Sony will no longer synch LRX? Can this be for real?

Long story; please bear with me.

My 505 ran out of juice; it lost the authorization and all content.

After fully charging with the wall charger, I hooked it up to the Sony Store and re-authorized it.

I use the Sony Library to transfer files. When I try to transfer any LRX content, I get a message saying that I have to download the EPUB version of that file -- even though I have the LRX on my hard drive. nI called Sony "support" and the rep claimed that yes, indeed, the LRX format can no longer be transferred to Sony devices.

Can this possibly be true? Does Sony really expect customers to re-download perfectly good LRX files as EPUBs just to transfer them? I can't believe more people aren't complaining, if it's true.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:10 PM   #2
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I haven't opened my Sony Library in awhile. Was the software updated? If so, it could be true. Since the Sony Reader is authorized already, are you able to load in LRX files by another method (drag and drop) and still be able to read it?
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2010, 10:17 PM   #3
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nope, it won't let me drag and drop.

The library software isn't updated. It's 3.1.00

I think the real issue is the re-authorization. I suspect that new autorizations (authorizations after the Sony store converted to EPUB) will no longer read LRX.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:19 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
Nope, it won't let me drag and drop.

The library software isn't updated. It's 3.1.00

I think the real issue is the re-authorization. I suspect that new autorizations (authorizations after the Sony store converted to EPUB) will no longer read LRX.
Any device authorized after a certain date (sometime in Dec 09) are no longer able to read lrx but drm'd epub instead.

It's not a matter of just syncing, even if you transferred the files to your device via windows you could no longer read the lrx file. Your machine is now authorized only for drm'd epubs.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:23 PM   #5
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
This could be a real problem for people who've bought a used PRS500 recently.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2010, 11:29 PM   #6
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
This could be a real problem for people who've bought a used PRS500 recently.
Yes, or for anyone who loses their device or computer authorization. I have over 300 LRX titles (they weren't available in other formats at the time I bought them).

On the plus side, once I have them all in EPUB it'll be easy enough to liberate them from the shackles of DRM.

I wish I'd known this in advance, though. I'd have made damned sure to keep my Readers charged.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:50 AM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Yes it's true. I have the same problem.

Quote:
... I have over 300 LRX titles (they weren't available in other formats at the time I bought them).
Are you able to downlaod all the titles in EPub now, or are some "coming soon"?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:17 AM   #8
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Quote:
Long story; please bear with me.

My 505 ran out of juice; it lost the authorization and all content.

After fully charging with the wall charger, I hooked it up to the Sony Store and re-authorized it.

I use the Sony Library to transfer files. When I try to transfer any LRX content, I get a message saying that I have to download the EPUB version of that file -- even though I have the LRX on my hard drive. nI called Sony "support" and the rep claimed that yes, indeed, the LRX format can no longer be transferred to Sony devices.

Can this possibly be true? Does Sony really expect customers to re-download perfectly good LRX files as EPUBs just to transfer them? I can't believe more people aren't complaining, if it's true.
Try putting them on memory card - plugged into your computer - not the reader. Then try the card in the reader & see what happens.

I have just moved all my LRX books to an SD card using the library software 3.1.00, they all dragged & dropped to the card OK, & everything works fine on my 505.

If yours still will not display them then it is the reauthorisation for sure. Annoying.
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:09 AM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post

I have just moved all my LRX books to an SD card using the library software 3.1.00, they all dragged & dropped to the card OK, & everything works fine on my 505.

Were they not working from main memory?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:52 AM   #10
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Were they not working from main memory?
Yes they were, but I have so many TBR Sony freebie books now that I have moved them to a card along with other assorted freebies. Saves clogging up the reader memory, I can just insert the SD card when I want to read a book from it.

Last edited by columbus; 03-12-2010 at 02:46 AM. Reason: typo!?
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:33 AM   #11
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
Try putting them on memory card - plugged into your computer - not the reader. Then try the card in the reader & see what happens.
Nope, it's the re-authorization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Are you able to downlaod all the titles in EPub now, or are some "coming soon"?
They were all available as EPUBs.

Took me about an hour to get them all downloaded. I had my assistant liberate them from DRM (about 2 hours). Then it took about an hour to get them back into the right categories. Sony owes me 4 hours of my life.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:55 AM   #12
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Nope, it's the re-authorization.

They were all available as EPUBs.

Took me about an hour to get them all downloaded. I had my assistant liberate them from DRM (about 2 hours). Then it took about an hour to get them back into the right categories. Sony owes me 4 hours of my life.
...or more if you need to tweak the formatting.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote