Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 12-01-2009, 11:10 AM   #466
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
there be plenty of .mobi / .prc stuff available, free or otherwise ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:44 PM   #467
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikekeal View Post
I like the way that Bookeen somewhat optimistically use the occasional post to their official blog to up-sell the shiny, Epub-compatible Opus to any eagerly-awaiting Cybook owner who is fed up with waiting for the upgrade.

I cannot imagine how or why anyone who is able to carry out even the most basic internet search about a product before parting with their money will be persuaded that buying from Bookeen is a good idea.

I accept that the Cybook does what I'd bought it to do - it allows me to read .mobi format e-books. What concerns me is that Bookeen effectively told me a year ago not to invest in any more .mobi books, because my reader would be Epub-compatible by early 2009. The device is now on a shelf gathering dust as I have run out of .mobi material. Bookeen don't even bother to acknowledge polite emails requesting an update on the firmware. Their lack of meaningful communication is inexcusable, and I would advise anybody to steer well clear. Rant over.

Mike
But there *IS* an ePub-compatible Bookeen Cybook Gen3 available - right now! It's called the Sony PRS-500!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2009, 02:04 PM   #468
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
But there *IS* an ePub-compatible Bookeen Cybook Gen3 available - right now! It's called the Sony PRS-500!
Humm... no, it's called Cybook Gen3 Gold Edition
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:30 PM   #469
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
NOT if one cannot afford the steep upgrade price it isn't.

But I was just joking around as we now have an upgraded PRS-500. Note that despite the need to send the unit to the factory, it was a FREE upgrade (and that includes shipping both ways) and it is HERE and FUNCTIONING which is more than I can say for *either* the mobi or epub firmware updates for my 64MB Gen3... Still, I use my Gen3.

Derek
Old 12-02-2009, 04:24 AM   #470
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Still, I use my Gen3.
So maybe you are happy with it after all

My own gen3 is gathering dust indead, since I got my hands on the opus. Now if only if would stop crashing.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2009, 05:09 AM   #471
Snuffi
Addict
Snuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enough

Device: Pocketbook Pro 612, Bookeen Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Can't find that Gold Edition on their homepage. Where did you find that?
Snuffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:17 AM   #472
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffi View Post
Can't find that Gold Edition on their homepage. Where did you find that?
It's available through other stores, like Apolo XXI (Spanish), Libri.de (German) or eBookstore
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:40 PM   #473
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
So maybe you are happy with it after all

My own gen3 is gathering dust indead, since I got my hands on the opus. Now if only if would stop crashing.
Ha! Crash Your Bookeen Original-Owner Kit! (CYBOOK)

Derek
Old 12-03-2009, 05:19 AM   #474
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Ha! Crash Your Bookeen Original-Owner Kit! (CYBOOK)

Derek
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:29 AM   #475
Eilishididn't
Keep it simple
Eilishididn't will become famous soon enoughEilishididn't will become famous soon enoughEilishididn't will become famous soon enoughEilishididn't will become famous soon enoughEilishididn't will become famous soon enoughEilishididn't will become famous soon enough

Device: iPhone, Nook, Kindle
Bookeen? Cybook?

In a word? GARBAGE

In a sentence: $487 for device, cover & $89 "no questions asked" warranty. 10 months later, no device, replacement was an obvious refurb that had shades & lines, am now told "can't replace until Christmas orders are filled". Bought through Books On Board who are also - um, garbage to deal with.
Eilishididn't is offline   Reply With Quote