Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-15-2007, 06:07 PM   #1
coleman
Connoisseur
coleman began at the beginning.

Device: Android tablets and phones, Windows tablet, Kobo Aura One
aluminum case?

Has anyone seen something that would make a good case made from metal? I'm thinking aluminum would be the best choice. The polycarb cases seem like they'd add more thickness then I'd want. I think if you could get basically the included cover, bud made with aluminum leaves, and with something to hold the cover shut, I'd be all about that.
coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 06:58 PM   #2
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
Yvan (I think?) made a point in a recent thread that if you want to use the connection point on the back that there has to be a flexible or semi-flexible attachment to it, or you will have issues trying to attach (and especially remove) it.
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2007, 07:42 PM   #3
coleman
Connoisseur
coleman began at the beginning.

Device: Android tablets and phones, Windows tablet, Kobo Aura One
I'm not too worried about that. I figure I can use adhesive backed velcro to hold the reader in place.

Actually, I had another idea shortly after the post, I may see if I can slit the edge of the front cover open and insert a piece of sheet aluminum or other stiff material. I will be carrying my reader in a backpack quite often, adn the 2 things I'm worried about is the cover opening and something damaging the screen, and the cover being flexible, and something damaging the screen(or the reader even) through the screen.
coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:59 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12164

You should look at my leather case. I dropped it down a flight of concrete steps while reading, and the Reader wasn't harmed.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:13 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
If you're wanting something to protect it in your backpack rather than an always on type of cover, that opens up some more options for you. I've had great luck with my hollow book for that, but that approach may be too bulky for your needs ....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2007, 08:26 AM   #6
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I saw an aluminum case for the PSP that was relatively cheap. I didn't have my reader with me to compare for size. If you retrim the interior's foam you might just be able to fit the reader in.

What I'd suggest for maintaining the reader in place is relatively simple, two little high power magnets. Just put a dollop of epoxy and tack at the right place. There are two magnets already in the reader that serve as closures for the covers. Locate those and their polarity to locate the right place for placement. If the thought of metal rubbing on paint makes you cringe, just put a self adhering felt disk on top of the magnet. All people who use my boxes will attest that it works without interference and harm to the reader.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:12 PM   #7
RSaunders
Groupie
RSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coleman View Post
Has anyone seen something that would make a good case made from metal? I'm thinking aluminum would be the best choice. The polycarb cases seem like they'd add more thickness then I'd want. I think if you could get basically the included cover, bud made with aluminum leaves, and with something to hold the cover shut, I'd be all about that.
I was looking into this before I found a cheap polycarb source. (See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11420)

You could use a two-part case machined out of metal. I asked a local shop about taking a 5"x7.25"x0.5" piece of aluminum and milling out a 4.85"x7"x0.35" hole. Then cut a 5"x7.25" sheet of 1/8" aluminum sheet for a cover. Hinges and latches are tricky in aluminum, but you could use a steel cover and magnets. It was only a $15 part to have fabricated, and lining it with fabric should prevent scratches. Maybe clever use of fabric could provide you
a hinge as well as scratch prevention.

If you have one made, don't forget to send us pictures.
RSaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:29 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
All people who use my boxes will attest that it works without interference and harm to the reader.
I do hereby so attest.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:10 PM   #9
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSaunders View Post
I was looking into this before I found a cheap polycarb source. (See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11420)

You could use a two-part case machined out of metal. I asked a local shop about taking a 5"x7.25"x0.5" piece of aluminum and milling out a 4.85"x7"x0.35" hole. Then cut a 5"x7.25" sheet of 1/8" aluminum sheet for a cover. Hinges and latches are tricky in aluminum, but you could use a steel cover and magnets. It was only a $15 part to have fabricated, and lining it with fabric should prevent scratches. Maybe clever use of fabric could provide you
a hinge as well as scratch prevention.

If you have one made, don't forget to send us pictures.
My latest box is built exactly the same way but in the two halves of a block of wood instead. The milled part is exactly the shape of the reader+ 3/32 all around and then lined with felt.

Last edited by yvanleterrible; 07-28-2010 at 11:39 PM.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:00 AM   #10
KDawg
Junior Senior
KDawg has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: nookColor, nook, PRS-900, PRS-505, PRS-500, Kindle PW, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
My latest box is built exactly the same way but in the two halves of a block of wood instead. The milled part is exactly the shape of the reader+ 3/32 all around and then lined with felt.
Yvan,

I thought you had retired from the Reader Case business. Are you back in business?
KDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 11:47 AM   #11
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDawg View Post
Yvan,

I thought you had retired from the Reader Case business. Are you back in business?
Well! Now that my arm is twisted behind my back, I think I'll make an announcement.

By the end of september, I will produce a run of smaller boxes without lighting in two species of the most durable woods. After making more expensive boxes which got me to experiment with different species, three came out as more stable prospects. I will show them when the time comes.

They will cost $75.00USD + $5.00 for boxing and around $25.00 for shipping across the States. Different shipping rates will apply for the rest of the world and lower ones in Canada obviously.

I have chosen to forget lighting because I can't have reliable hand assembly results, that it plainly doubles the price and that I spend more time doing the lighting than the woodworking, not my cup of tea.

Right now, I'm swamped with work (making a huge library ironic isn't it) and I have to find some other hinge type and inset its differences to the production and tooling.
That's all for now.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:08 PM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist

Most excellent news, Yvan! Good for you!
Old 08-18-2007, 11:38 PM   #13
dkosburn
dkosburn began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I'd definitely be interested in one of those cases. Looks sharp
dkosburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 01:06 AM   #14
jakeluck
Groupie
jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

how much do the current prototypes weight?
jakeluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 08:57 AM   #15
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeluck View Post
how much do the current prototypes weight?
Around the same as the reader to slightly less depending on the wood used.